Adding tag info to wav files

2 posts were split to a new topic: Roon reports 22000 files when there should be less than 10000

Evan, I would like to take you up on your kind offer to tag my music. I live in the United States and would be glad to ship the hard drive to you and pay you for return shipping. Please send me your shipping address. My email address is:
warren.kice@gmail.com
Let me suggest that we communicate in the future with our direct email addresses so as to not clutter up the Roon community postings
My Telephone number in the US is 469-662-9575 if you wish to talk directly
Cheers
Warren Kice
PS I estimate the tag information should be available on 95–99% of my music

:slightly_smiling_face:

If decryption and decompression were error prone, your computer wouldn’t work: most software is delivered in encrypted and compressed form.

Most notably viruses, and they sure work well.

1 Like

Chris,
I know I am now in the process of getting the 9000 files tagged which I will put in a music file on my iMac and have Roon pick them up. I would like to get rid of the files in there now on Roon that are not tagged. How do I eliminate the tracks in an album files from Roon

I’m not sure I am understanding correctly but if you change your files data at the source and re scan in Roon, it is my understanding, Roon will pick up the changes.

Thanks Chris. How do I change my files data at the source?

I should have added the following to my previous message:

“how do I eliminate the untaged files from my Roon album and track data bases?”

If you have flac files they will have basic data Album, Artist, composer, track title etc. Roon will read this as it scans your files.
Id3 tags is what it’s called in Windows.
I rip all my CD’s using dB poweramp and this data is added automatically in most cases for commercial releases.

You don’t have to, just tag the albums (id3 tags) and re scan them.

Chris, I should have been more clear in my previous messages.
I have already ripped the songs/files (about 9000 files) into an Olive server in the wav format.
I have transferred a copy of the Olive library with the untagged songs in the wav format to an external hard disk drive.
I then transferred the 9000 untagged songs from the hard disc drive to a music folder in my iMac and they were picked up by Roon and added to their album/track libraries with no tag information.
I am now in the process of getting the untagged files in the external hard disk drive tagged so that I can add them to my iMac music folder To be picked up by roon.
But I want to eliminate the old untagged files from the Roon library before I add the tagged files to my music folder in my iMac to be picked up by roon.
Therefore all I need to know at the present time is how to remove the untagged files from Roon

Roon updates in the background so, if meta data is added, Roon should see it. All you have to do is rescan your library after you have made the changes.
That’s as I understand things.

If I’m understanding you correctly…

FIRST make sure your Roon and music file backups are up to date.

Stop the Roon Core (belt and braces approach) **

Using the operating system… remove the untagged WAV files from the folder structure that Roon is watching.

Re-start the Roon Core, wait for it to complete the initial library re-scanning.

Then goto Roon’s Settings—> Library—> Maintain Library and select library clean up.

Once complete … Roon will no nothing of these files … you have a clean sheet to add the tagged versions (FLAC/ALAC) back into the Watched folder.

Stop the Roon Core (belt and braces approach) **

Copy over your tagged files.

Re-start the Roon Core. Roon will then, import, identify and audio analyses the added files from scratch.

** I would recommend switching off the Roon Core whilst you bulk remove and especially bulk add the new files over…

2 Likes

How do you stop the roon core?

I went to settings -library - clean library and activated it but it did not erase anything

And this was after you had removed the audio files from the folder that Roon is watching?

If so this most odd, did you stop/re-start the core (to force it to re-scan and detect the files are no longer there)?

Did the number of albums / tracks that Roon reports reduce?

You could try Roon’s Settings —> Storage —> … —> Force Rescan.

Carl, I finally got it to work thanks to your instructions. I had forgotten to remove the files (from my olive server) that I want deleted from the music file I set up on my iMac. Once I deleted them and set up a forced scan and a library clean up, the files disappeared
I am now in the process of tagging copies of the olive files and will add them to the music files on the iMac for scanning by roon.
One more question - how does roon know which files on my iMac to scan for music? If I recall I initially set up a new folder, labeled it “music” and transferred the Olive library and my iTunes library into it; and roon was able to find both libraries. Does roon look for folders labeled “music”or does it simply search out for the music itself.
Thanks in advance

Great news.

It uses the Roon Watched folder that you previously setup that points to the folder that you created for the music. More than one Watched folder can be setup if you music is on different drives etc.

Have a read in the Roon Knowledge Base for more details.

Hi Carl,
So when it comes to WAV files - the folder plays a significant role, right?
So the proper definition of an artist’s name is crucial. I think.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Is there any other resource on tagging WAV files?
Thank you

It would be better to start a new thread rather than add to a five year old one.

Why add a new page for the same topic