After editing items, Roon hangs with spinning wheel and message adding music to library

Still experiencing significant intermittent problem with the search function. I’ve done many packet tests as suggested but never found a problem there. Is there an update to Roon coming any time soon that might fix this?

Hi @number6mi,

Do you by any chance have any other PCs around the house you can try using as your Roon Core?
I’d be interested to know if this issue affects just this Mac in particular or if other Cores also exhibit this issue. I’d also check to make sure you don’t have a VPN active or other firewall apps block Roon (in the past, I’ve seen issues with Bullguard / Little Snitch / ect.)

Thanks,
I dont think it’s the mac. I have now found i have much better experience using my ipad remotely for editing. The problem still sometimes appears but then if i quit and restart The mac sometimes twice it resumes working ok. There is a clear related problem if new music is added that the albums get added but sometimes there is a very long time for the added albums too be identified all the while with the spinning wheel - hours in some instances. Whenever it goes wrong the about screen reads there was an error checking updates which disappears when it resumes working for example after a restart. I’ve read through the community messages and there are actually quite a few threads with other users experiencing the problem identifying albums added with the wheel spinning so it doesnt appear these problems are that uncommon. I hope the systems team recognizes there is some sort of issue here and is trying to find a fix.

Hi @number6mi,

If this issue only occurs when you add new music, it sounds like you might be pushing the system a bit too far.

What exactly does the spinning wheel show is going on, is Roon importing or identifying content? Can you please share a screenshot?

The search issue problem happens even when adding music is completed and there is no spinning wheel

The spinning wheel occurs when music is being added. That is normal, however, the issue here is after the albums are added but are still shown as being identified the time to identify say 265 added tracks can be a couple hours. When i first rebuilt the library, Roon added c 700k tracks and identified them in about 4 hours. I was pretty impressed by that. After seeing that, I can’t understand why the long delays sometimes seen adding a much smaller number of tracks. I suspect, some of this is related to the size of my library which I guess shouldn’t be completely surprising but on the other hand my library is probably a good stress test of the system. Other than these 2 issues, Roon works brilliantly for me. Of the 2 issues, the search is the far more troublesome problem. What’s very strange about it is it works quite well for periods of time and then stops working and then sometimes hours later it works well again and then the process repeats. It’s not intuitively obvious to me this is a library size problem vs some connectivity problem with the Roon servers. I do see other community users reporting search issues as well, some of which sound similar. So i do wonder if there is not something that a future software update could address. Let me know after reading this if there is anything you think would be worth testing or exploring to help you and the Roon team understand or identify the problem

I’m happy to say that the new Roon build version has substantially improved the performance issues i was having with the search and new music added functionality. I have found that when i do a large number of searches for say an hour or more, search will sometimes start failing on new searches. However, if i navigate say out of albums to overview and back again or quit Roon and restart, it restores the functionality. I assume this means the Roon team was aware of the performance issues and did something to improve it with the version update but it makes me wonder if the Roon team couldn’t have better acknowledged a possible Roon issue instead of presuming it was an issue with my installation. Anyway, I remain super impressed with everything else about the Roon software and am happy this issue which was getting in the way of fully enjoying Roon appears to be substantially resolved.

Hi @number6mi,

Happy to hear that there’s been some improvement here! We didn’t make any changes specifically targeted for search, but our infrastructure is always being improved.

When this happens, are you running out of resources like RAM or CPU?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.