After Roon 1.7 Update - Music Playback Pops/Clicks/USB Latency

Hello @dylan

I just read your link that you provided about Downgrading. Isn’t it true that if you are running Program Files and Installer from ver whatever.X and the DB itself is also from that same version there shouldn’t be any compatibility issues. As long as you have a copy of the DB backup from whatever version it is you wish to run along with the original installer files thats all it takes. To hell with the Cloud or what it thinks :slight_smile:

I’m making an assumption here but I suspect I’m not the only person who tries to keep their Core off of the Internet and doesn’t allow regular communication Inbound/Outbound to the web. As best I can tell, ROON appears to operate perfectly fine when it can’t make calls back to “The Mothership” so I dont really see the reason for the strict versioning enforcement or the reason to not make previous versions available. Not everyone wants to have their system linked to the Cloud or Cloud like services.

Just my 2cents FWIW

Last time I looked the RDP server only supported OpenGL 1.1, I think it was.

Are you running Roon or Roon Server as core? My headless W10 pro i5 seems fine running Roon Server 1.7 - but maybe that’s because it’s not using the graphics system at all. There is an option to start on boot too, so no scheduled task required either. Apologies if I’m misunderstanding your use case.

Not sure exactly but I know it worked just fine literally a few days ago with no messages ever saying that OpenGL 3.x was needed to launch ROON while connected via RDP.

I am running “ROON” with all the options baked into one. I’m not sure yet if breaking out the Roles into different systems will work for my purposes or not (ie…one system with just server, another with just remote…etc). I am running a bit more complex of a setup than most probably are so it will take some experimenting to see if it would work or not (7.1ch, Convolution,DSP Vol Control, multiple Subs…etc…etc).

Not being able to connect via RDP is only part of the original issue. The bigger concern was the increased USB Latency for some reason immediately after 1.7 was installed. This latency causes Pops/Clicks and music playback stoppages. That is my primary concern at the moment. I think can can overcome the OpenGL 3.0 RDP issue eventually with enough time/motivation

Microsoft have been messing around with RDP… they have recently fixed a bug which meant I had to restart the Roon computer every time I ran an RDP session, because if I disconnected the session the fan cut in!

However…

I think that if your normal use case is to run the NUC headless, and control it from phone/elsewhere, your optimum install on the NUC would be Roon Server. It might even resolve the latency/glitching. I’d be surprised if it made it worse!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.