After Roon 1.7 Update - Music Playback Pops/Clicks/USB Latency

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 Pro, Intel NUC i5, 16GB RAM, Build 500

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wired Ethernet, Gigabit Connectivity, Ubiquiti Switch8

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Lynx Hilo DAC, USB, Latest ASIO Driver/Firmware

Description Of Issue

Audio Playback produces Clicks/Pops and Stops. Running DPC Latency Checker v1.4.0 show very high latency during playback…See Attached Screenshot

No other change made other then the forced update to 1.7. Playback worked perfectly before update. Guess I’ll need to do a restore to previous version and cut off internet access to Core until issues are fixed

Or you could get support to investigate what’s wrong unless you intend to stay on 1.6 forever.

Hello @Chris_F123,

What is Roon’s CPU usage when you are experiencing these audio artifacts? Roon may be re-scanning your library or performing a backup which is causing this behavior with the USB subsystem on your PC.

-John

Hello, When I looked at the Playback “Gumball” icon while music was playing (popping/clicking…etc) it said processing speed was 5.x which is slightly under where it used to be which is typically in the 6.x-8.x range but not a major difference.

I’ve already got a restore running to go back to 1.6 but I’m not sure that will fix the issue or not as I’m not clear on what all gets restored during that process (ie…is it just DB stuff or are actual program files contained in those backups…etc).

Will see in a short while once its complete. I have a sneaky suspicion that i’ll be needing to rebuild this NUC again though…uggh

I would be fine with staying at 1.6 honestly but I know that would not be possible given how these updates are forced down whether you want them or not.

The ONLY reason I am in this situation now is because the damn phone update hit me first which in turn resulted in me no longer being able to connect to the Core. This of course forced me to expose the Core to the Internet and BOOM…now I’m SOL.

I keep this Core off the Internet for this exact reason. Live and learn that I now need to find a better remote solution that I can control when it receives updates

I’m not opposed to updates in general, just not a fan of daisy fresh code or being a guinea pig

Wouldn’t it be easier to let support have a look and try to figure out what the problem is?

Welp…just as I suspected. The restore back to 1.6 didn’t bare any fruit. Kinda invalidates the purpose of doing backup in way.

This is the immediate message I get after the request to relaunch app right after restore:

Guess it answers my question as to what is contained in those backups. Program files must not be part of it.

So I’m back to 1.7 and a clicking output …with a smile

Hopefully there is an easy fix from the support folks

More data points. All scanning of music folders is complete at this point so no additional background processes taking place. Here is Path output and Windows Resource Monitor screenshot:

Hello @Chris_F123,

What is your ASIO buffer set to?

-John

Annotation%202019-11-22%20110712

Hello, Buffer is set to Min/Auto…Thanks

Gonna throw a Hail Mary here and install Windows update 1903 and whatever else is available for download to see if it makes any difference. Supposedly update 1903 offers a few “Performance Enhancements” so they say.

Al rightly then…now this is becoming annoying. Installed Windows update 1903 and attempted to relaunch Roon afterwards and got this message:

So I decided to reinstall Roon. I first uninstalled it then reinstalled it. Install went fine until I tried to launch Roon again:

Not sure what this is about. I’ve never had issues launching Roon from RDP sessions but now I can’t launch it at all. Tried to get creative by creating a Scheduled Task to run it at Start-up but that doesn’t seem to be working either.

What a freaking mess!

Well, I’ve managed to somehow crawl myself out of this 1.7 “upgrade” hole by the skin of my *%&#^

All I need to know now is how do I get my phone to roll back to version 1.6? Is there a repository somewhere with older versions available for download? It an Andriod.

I got real lucky that I was able to find an installer for the last version 1.6 on my Core from the last rebuild I had to do almost exactly 1 month ago. I uninstalled everything, remove my Core from the Internet back to its hole…and installed ver 1.6 again. I then used one of my previous Backups to restore the Core back to how it was a few days ago (when it was working perfectly).

Below is new screenshot of how it normally runs in terms of Processing Speed, Latency and Path quality. I’ve also squeezed a shot in there of my Lynx Hilo ASIO CP settings.

I’m still no longer able to launch the ROON App via RDP which appears to be an incompatibility with Windows Update 1903 and Roon. Prior to update 1903 I could launch ROON via RDP just fine.

If someone could direct me to where I might find the Mobile version of ROON 1.6 for remote purposes I would be forever in your debit.

I’ve banished my Core back to its cave never to see the light of day again

A post was merged into an existing topic: Qobuz tracks skip

In my case, I should have known better than to just blindly accept the new install given how picky my DAC is when it comes to USB drivers. It only works with Windows too which really blows. It wasn’t until it was too late that I noticed all the chatter on the forum here about people having issues with 1.7. Its a damn shame that only just today I found the option to not automatic install ROON updates in the Settings\About section on the Core server.

The Lynx DAC I have hasn’t had a USB driver update published for like 2 years, maybe more so it seems lately that if you sneeze on it too hard it will $hit the bed. Last rebuild for me was a month ago due to some unknown update that found its way into the system after I opened up my firewall temporarily while doing other maintenance. Same issue happened where it caused High Latency issues like in this case here. Spent a few days piecing things back together again to get it back to normal.

Would be nice to have these ROON updates handled in such a way where you need to manually download it with the choice to view a published verbose Change Log for the new version so people can make better informed decisions if the update is for them or not.

Hello @Chris_F123,

I am unsure why you are seeing the spikes in the latency when using Roon 1.7 for playback. I’ve scheduled testing with the QA lab to investigate this issue further.

-John

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 Pro, Intel NUC i5, 16GB RAM, version 1.6 & 1.7

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wired Ethernet, Gigabit Connectivity, Ubiquiti Switch8

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Lynx Hilo DAC, USB, Latest ASIO Driver/Firmware

Description Of Issue

I’ve had to restore back to previous ROON version 1.6 due to issues with 1.7. I am unable to find where I can down the previous versions of the software…mostly ROON Remote. I have an Andriod device (Google Pixel) but the Google Playstore only offers newest version 1.7 of Remote. I see no options on ROON website to download previous versions either.

Problem with Remote version 1.7 is that it doesn’t connect to Core running version 1.6. Please make this stuff backwards compatible in the future instead of scorched earth policy…Thanks

Hi @Chris_F123 — Apologies for the trouble here!

What issues were you having with 1.7? Downgrading is not something we support, but we can help to make sure that things are up and running for you on the new version.

No previous version installers are provided. Once a new release is out, it’s this version or nothing. While I imagine it’s painful not to have you gear play music the best option is probably still to follow up with Roonlabs support in your other thread where you did describe the actual problem. Staying on 1.6 would postpone the problem - it could well be that in time 1.6 installations will not work at all anymore.

BTW, have you checked if there are updated graphics drivers available for the Windows machine you’ve seen the OpenGL 3 error message with? That might help getting Roon to run on that box.

Update: Official support beat me … that’s how it should be, I guess. :slight_smile: @dylan :+1: :slight_smile:

Hello, please see the link provided by U-gee on what issues I was having listed in my other thread.

I’m not really needing support on ver 1.6 I just need to download the Remote from that version so I can continue managing my system. Right now I’ve had to drag out the Keyboard/Mouse/Monitor into my listening space just to control ROON Playback or launch the App at all.

I suspect there may be many people managing their Headless Windows Core via RDP but it appears that something now requires OpenGL 3.0 support just to launch the App. The Intel NUC appears to not have support for that using its baked in GPU (at least not while connected via RDP).

But in the end the main issue now is that Remote 1.7 doesn’t connect to Core on ver 1.6 and I’m not sure its fair to expect Users to wait without a working system while support figures out the issues. That may take a day or it may take a year. Perhaps just providing the Link to previous versions with a small note stating Roon wont support it once new version is released is all that it takes really. I’m fine with that as long as my system isn’t a paperweight like it was with version 1.7 installed. Now its only half a paperweight since its working with ver 1.6 but cant be controlled remotely.

Thanks for listening to me vent :slight_smile: