After updating to 1148 USB drive not being recognized on Nucleus [Investigating - Ticket in]

Hi @Robert_Zinn,

I too have duplicated this issue. I’ve provided my experiences as well as yours to development for the ticket.

My issue was with a WD 2TB USB 3.0 external drive on my Nucleus. Reboots, restarts, reinstalls, and power-downs didn’t fix it and my drive was visible on three other PCs (two Windows and one MacOS). However, my issue has disappeared after trying combinations of exFAT and NTFS formatted USB thumbs in the Nucleus and trying my WD again.

We will hopefully have a fix for this soon.

Edit: If you would @Kenneth_Reinhard, @hedkase, @Nicholas_Harsin, @Robert_Zinn. If you would, please provide the following information about your setup at your earliest convenience to assist in the investigation.

1. What is the model/manufacturer of your external USB drive
  2. How is it formatted (NTFS/exFAT/FAT32/etc.)?
  3. What is the name of your external drive, does it have any spaces in the name

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and thank you in advance for your assistance.
Wes

1 Like

Seagate 8TB
Don’t remember format but assume it’s NTFS
No spaces

1 Like

Hi @Robert_Zinn,

From your screenshot, the name is “Seagate HD” and does have the space. Is the screenshot correct? Would you mind looking at the drive properties to confirm this and the format for me, please?

Thanks,
Wes

@Wes

Didn’t realize disconnecting the drive would fix things. I’m using the external drive for backup – at least I’m listening to music again.

1. Drive: SanDisk 1TB Extreme PRO SSD (SDSSDE81-1T00-G25)
  2. Format: ExFAT
  3. Drive Name: RoonBackup
2 Likes

Not for me :rofl: What I know about this can be put in a thimble

I hope these will help you correct this issue. If you need anything more please let me know. I’m sorry my technical abilities are thin.

1 Like

@Wes , while I can’t give specific details that you need, I can confirm at least three others having the same issue. As a temporary solution, I recommended they move their external drive to a Mac or Windows, and map it as a network mount. Hopefully this will be fixed soon. Thanks for your help.

Thank you for the information. We certainly appreciate your efforts and bringing this to our attention.

Wes

2 Likes

If I move the HD to my WIN10, my core the Nucleus Plus, and map it I would then have to add the network drive into ROON, but that would mean my PC would have to be on for the HD to be accessed correct?

@Robert_Zinn , correct, the cpu that you move your external drive to needs to be powered on all the time. This was only a temporary suggestion to get them back listening while we (hoped) Roon would acknowledge the problem.

1 Like

Hello Wes,
Please, keep me in the loop with the same issue: Nucleus 1st gen i3 and no USB storage available following the last update.

1. Seagate Expansion Desktop Drive 5TB
  2. NTFS
  3. Seagate Expansion Drive.
    Please, help!

See post above, it is a temporary fix.

@Wes I am hesitant to take the update. I am assuming if I wait for the next release, when I choose to apply it, I won’t be taking 1148 that’s pending now, I’ll be taking the next release. Is that correct? I’ve never intentionally skipped a release before.

Thanks!

1 Like

You’re right.
I skipped once a release because I was on vacation.
When I came back there was a second update and my Nucleus went straight to the newest one.

1 Like

Same issue here after update, also now lost Sonos as Audio zones

In addition to no USB storage available I experienced a DSP upsampling issue, i. e some irregular clics.

My problem doesn’t seem to involve the SSD connected via USB to my Nucleus+; disconnecting it makes no difference, my Nucleus just seems dead.

Hi @Wes
Any news on our ticket?
Regards,
Jacek

Hi @Jacek_Czarnecki,

I know our devs are working on it. One verified fix from my end is to run a chkdsk on the drive on a Windows machine.

Steps that fixed it for me were:

1. Create desktop shortcut to cmd
  2. Right click new shortcut and run as administrator
  3. type chkdsk d: /f (assuming windows has assigned the external drive D)

After that, I was back to browsing the files on the Nucleus.

I will check back if we get a definitive fix pushed out.

Thanks,
Wes

1 Like