Airplay 2 coming to Roku!

Now this would be a pretty inexpensive endpoint. Not the highest quality, but for non-critical listening it might have some merit.

1 Like

My Roku Streaming Stick+ just got this update a couple of days ago!
Surprised to see it pop up as an audio output target from my MacBook and also iPhone. However, it doesn’t appear as endpoint in Roon :thinking: My other AirPlay devices that appear in Roon are AirPlay v1, whereas I think the Roku implementation is AirPlay 2, does that make a difference? Can Roon use AirPlay 2 devices? Anyone else got a Roku working with Roon?
Given that AirPlay 2 is video too, can Roon use them as display devices, like it can with Chromecast?

1 Like

Further to this, AirPlay on my Roku seems to do some kind of now playing display — see the images below. In this setup, I am using Roon on my MacBook, playing to a Roon endpoint on my hifi. As the Roon app is open, I get now playing information in the notification centre in macOS (I’m sort of guessing this is where it’s coming from?), as you would regardless of music playing app, e.g. if I were using Spotify or iTunes (lol).

I then clicked the sound device speaker icon in the macOS menu bar and selected my Roku device as the sound output (note that this is just for sound output from macOS or any other apps playing out the default sound device, Roon is not doing this, it is playing direct over RAAT elsewhere); at first I get the black and white “how to use AirPlay” screen, but after a minute or so, it changes to the now playing cover art display. Sometime a song progress bar appears for a split second, then disappears again.

I don’t think this is a Roon feature, nor Roku, per se, perhaps it’s just the way Airplay (2?) works on macOS, but I have not noticed it before. Nonetheless, it’s cool, no?

1 Like