Airplay issues with a pair of HomePod Minis

I have just changed from a paired set of Sonos Roams (my battery gave out on one of them after the guarantee expired).

I have bought a set of HomePod Minis which sound really great for some tracks and then they sound out of sync on others.

I am not sure how Roon handles them as a stereo pair (or indeed if it does). With my Roams I could choose 1 speaker and the music would come out of them both. Despite creating a stereo pair in the Home app I have to group the speakers together for them to work.

The issue on some tracks sounds almost like a slight time delay between the two, almost as if the track is being played twice.

Does anyone have any experience of this or a solution to the problem, I have to admit the set up option in the Apple Home app is a little flaky.

Roon doesn’t see them as a stereo pair. That’s iOS airplay 2 only feature. Roon doesn’t support system airplay nor airplay2 only its own reverse engineered airplay code which is only legacy airplay compatible. If you grouped in Roon then it’s two stereo speakers it will see them as. Airplay sync is a bit hit and miss. You could try adjusting the sync delay on one unit and set one as the master clock. For stereo you need to use Roons DSP to make each one receive the correct channel only.

See here for a work around. Works well. But, as above it is not supported.

1 Like