Airplay on AppleTV 2 and Airport Express killed after Roon 1.8 (Build 952)

Roon Core Machine

Synology DS3018xs, INTEL Pentium D1508, 32GB RAM, DSM 7.1-42661 Update 2, Roon v 1.8 build 970

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Fritzbox Cable 6591, several Netgear Switches, WLAN by Fritzbox

Connected Audio Devices

MacMini late 2011 MacOS10.13.6 via HDMI to Yamaha DSP Z7 Surround Amp set as CoreAudio in AudioMidi Setup; AppleTV2 (2x), Airport Express (2x), iPhone13, iPadPro’21, MacStudioPro’22

Number of Tracks in Library

~20.700 stereo ALAC and FLAC multichannel 2.1 up to 5.1 tracks

Description of Issue

If i remember right playback on AppleTV 2 and Airport Express via Airplay stopped after Roon Update 1.8 (Build 952).
Device will show in audio settings – AppleTV 2 now as Roon Tested(?) – and hitting play button is possible and changes to pause, but no music at all (stereo ALAC) will be played, nothing happens in progress bar.

Playback on an iPhone 13 iOS 15.5 and MacStudioPro MacOS14.2 is working as usual.

No changes on the general network setup and no firmware updates on AppleTV and Airport (already latest version).

okee, day 3 and no feedback from support – that’s a sign.
btw:

weird, isn’t it. the atv shows the correct ip, the 2 airports doesn’t (no such subnet here available), nevertheless none of the three are useable as output

You’re running on multiple subnets; this isn’t supported.

Roon Core Machine

Synology DS3018xs, INTEL Pentium D1508, 32GB RAM, DSM 7.1-42661 Update 2, Roon v 1.8 build 970

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Fritzbox Cable 6591, several Netgear Switches, WLAN by Fritzbox

Connected Audio Devices

MacMini late 2011 MacOS10.13.6 via HDMI to Yamaha DSP Z7 Surround Amp set as CoreAudio in AudioMidi Setup; AppleTV2 (2x), Airport Express (2x), iPhone13, iPadPro’21, MacStudioPro’22

Number of Tracks in Library

~20.700 stereo ALAC and FLAC multichannel 2.1 up to 5.1 tracks

Description of Issue

If i remember right playback on AppleTV 2 and Airport Express via Airplay stopped after Roon Update 1.8 (Build 952).
Device will show in audio settings – AppleTV 2 now as Roon Tested(?) – and hitting play button is possible and changes to pause, but no music at all (stereo ALAC) will be played, nothing happens in progress bar.

Playback on an iPhone 13 iOS 15.5 and MacStudioPro MacOS14.2 is working as usual.

No changes on the general network setup and no firmware updates on AppleTV and Airport (already latest version).

… and how can I get the pleasure of attention of Roon @support?

I posted this thread in the #support category 1 1/2 weeks ago with all available information and got no feedback at all. Is this normal?

Looking at more recent posts which obviously received more attention even by Roon staff I’m wondering if I missed something.

Cheers

Hi @DMAN,
I’ve merged your posts so all the history is together.
I’ve also tagged @support which should help to get their attention.

Whilst waiting for Roon’s support team, following up on @Martin_Webster’s (another fellow user) post …

I wondering what is the IP address of Synology where the Roon Core is running?
Also how the the “atv2”, “APE” and “ape” devices are connected to your LAN and how there are setup to obtain their IP address (fixed or via DHCP)?

Yes, that’s a point. But: as i already wrote, i definitely do not run those subnets. Just before the recent two ROON updates ROON settings showed the correct IPs. Despite the fact that one of the Airplay devices (atv2) shows the correct IP this one is also not playing anymore like the other two. Everything functioned as expected just until the last ROON updates.
And nothing else in my network setup has been changed.

Hi Carl,

thank you for your attention. IP of the ROON core ist fixed (192.168.1.30) cause it’s a NAS with some other services running. Those Apple device are connectet via ethernet (aTV) and WLAN (AirportExpress) and get their IPs (of the correct subnet, crosschecked again) by DHCP from the router and they are reachable/playable via Apple Music/iTunes as expected.

So what’s all about this “support”? This is ridiculous. A premium software or at least a high-priced software with an almost zero support feedback.

Apart from the Airplay bug it turned out shortly afterwards that songs arbitrarily selected from the library (no matter what file format) are also no longer playable on the remaining end devices. Several reboots of the core on the NAS or of the devices didn’t helped.
Although it worked from the initial setup - except for a few minor things - directly, is now no longer usable.

Great! 50 € for 3 months as a beta tester, but now I’m out.

Hi @DMAN,

Please accept our apologies for the delay in responding. While I understand you’ve had a frustrating experience so far, we’ll make it a priority to restore your system as fast as possible now that the tech support team is on the case. Hopefully, we can restore your faith a little, and at least restore playback in the meantime.

It will equip us to troubleshoot more efficiently if we know your full network setup. Our attempt to pull diagnostic logs from your Core has failed, suggesting there’s a network issue at play preventing communication with Roon’s servers.

In particular, it will help to know:

• Can you please elaborate on the model of Netgear switch used?
  • Are they managed switches?
  • Is the modem/router combination in bridge mode?
  • How is the Airport Express configured in relation to your router and network switches?

Please also elaborate on any network security settings enabled on any networking hardware.

Thank you for your patience, and we’ll be standing by for your response.

Hi Connor,

Because i have ended my monthly ROON subscription it expired a few days ago and i also stopped ROON Core on the NAS. Nevertheless installation is untouched i started the core again but of course I can’t test anymore… or is there a new trial period available?
Apart from 4 unmanaged Netgear/Linksys switches is the main switch a Smart Netgear GS108E (NAS ist connected via 10GB) but no further special configuration in contradiction to your “Networking Best Practices” KB.
Cable FritzBox firmware is branded by provider (Vodafone) and not in bridge mode.
The Apple APEs are all configured as wlan client and obtain their IPs from the Fritzbox DHCP server.
Incoming network traffic on the NAS is restricted by the NAS firewall.

But as i noted earlier it worked at the beginning and problems probably occurred in the period with the last 2 updates as far as I can understand.

Regards

Hi @DMAN,

I’ve been scanning through some diagnostics from your Core since we last checked in, and while I do see some brief traces in logs that might indicate connectivity issues, it appears playback has been relatively stable.

Please let me know if you’ve experienced any issues at all and the tech support team will be sure to give the problem our full attention. I hope that you’ve been able to enjoy your experience with Roon in the last few weeks and we look forward to assisting you in any way we can.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.