Album artwork and other metadata not displaying from backups (Roon ROCK)

Roon Core Machine

Roon Rock (NUC10i7FNH, 16GB RAM, 256M.2 with 2TB SSD). This hardware was specifically recommended by Roon to mimic Nucleus+ performance.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected to generic switch fed by router

Connected Audio Devices

Lumin X1 fed by fiber from etherREGEN switch

Number of Tracks in Library

Approaching 100,000

Description of Issue

I transitioned from a Nucleus recently to Roon ROCK with Nucleus+ specs. Prior to the transition, many of my albums had stopped displaying so I thought I was approaching the limits of the Nucleus. When I made the transition, I had access to a lot of backups made over the past two years. Through trial and error, I finally found a back-up that faithfully restored. Last night, I moved the NUC from my audio cabinet to my media closet, so it could access a switch connected to the router and to minimize noise in my audio area. I safely shut down the NUC and then restarted it in the media closet. Unfortunately, for some reason, the albums art and other metadata did not come up when I rebooted.

Since that time, I have tried countless backups and even tried to reset the database, following Roon instructions so I could create a clean folder in which to restore my database.

In short, I am unable to restore the database so it correctly displays album art and other metadata. I wonder whether restoring a backup from a previous Roon version might be part of the issue.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Hi @Flashman, I took the liberty of grabbing logs from your core and it does appear to be having an issue with fetching images from our servers. Everything else appears to be in order so it’s unlikely that another restore from backup will solve anything. I’m going to leave you in the capable hands of @noris who will get you sorted.

1 Like

Thanks Andrew.

In addition, Roon ROCK will not download the most recent update. See attached screenshot: “There was an error checking for an update.”

Prior to the move was everything working correctly? If so, if you move it back does it start working correctly again?

1 Like

Unfortunately, no.

Can you provide some more details as to the switch and router brand/model? If you bypass the switch and connect directly to the router, does the update then work? It looks like quite a few network requests are getting timed out, including updates, metadata, images and your TIDAL syncing.

TP-Link 24 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch connected to a Google Nest router.

I’ll try tomorrow to connect it directly to the router.

If you’re using auto DNS setting, change it to 8.8.8.8 instead. Vice-versa.

After changing any router setting, reboot the whole network of devices.

1 Like

Direct connection to router didn’t make a difference.

Is there a way I can start fresh? I know I would lose my saved music — other than what’s on my SSD — and playlists but I’d rather do that than have endless problems trying to restore.

@noris Tried @wklie suggestion again (change DNS and reboot entire network) and it has worked! The album covers are appearing and the latest firmware loaded without issue. Whew, many thanks Peter!

@noris My playlists are missing, otherwise all is good. Do I dare try to install a backup that presumably has my playlists?

1 Like

@Flashman ,

If you want, you can perform a RoonServer_old and try to restore the backup, yes. If there are any issues, simply revert the folder renaming:

• Stop RoonServer from running in ROCK’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your ROCK’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Roon database folder
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database
  • Restore backup to new databse

Also please be aware that you can manually export your playlists if you wish to have an added layer of backups.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.