Album in watched folder can't be found

I wanted to listen to a particular album, so I searched for the artist, and was surprised to see only one album by them (I have two).

I read through the forums, and made sure I have the “display hidden albums” enabled, and I tried removing the albums from the disk, replacing them, then rescanning. The missing album still does not appear.

This screenshot shows the search term, the enclosing folder (structured/managed by iTunes), and the two albums and tracks that are present.

Advice, please?

Hey @Steve_Kalkwarf – here are a couple things you can try:

• Read this article about why some albums fail to import

• Drag and drop a single file into Roon and then look at recent imports, either by sorting the Album browser by Import Date, or using Focus in the Tracks browser to look at tracks imported in the last day

• Select all tracks in your library and then export a list using Export > Export to Excel – that list will include files paths which will help us understand whether:

• the files made it into your library but were misidentified by Roon’s metadata system

• If the files are being rejected during import (in which case we can take a look at the media for you).

We have a few changes coming in 1.3 to make this kind of detective work a lot easier, so thanks for your patience!

Thanks for the quick response.

Dragging a single track to the Roon icon prompts me to import it to Roon. After allowing that file to copy, it does show up in the library.

What’s next?

OK, so the files can be read/imported by Roon, which means it could be an issue with the path, or the metadata identification that’s happening in Roon.

You could try renaming the folder or moving it somewhere else in your watched folder, or my last suggestion (the excel export) which will tell us whether Roon mistakenly thinks these files are a different album.

I can send the entire spreadsheet, but you can see from this excerpt, the album appears to have been misidentified:

L'Orchestre de Contrebasses	Bass, Bass, Bass, Bass, Bass & Bass	1	1	Touetatou	L'Orchestre de Contrebasses		rovi:MT0029817827	Local	no	no		/Volumes/ThunderBay/Music/Steve/Music/Minor Swing Quartet/Swing de Paris/01 Sweet Georgia Brown.m4a
L'Orchestre de Contrebasses	Bass, Bass, Bass, Bass, Bass & Bass	1	2	Bass, Bass, Bass, Bass, Bass & Bass	L'Orchestre de Contrebasses		rovi:MT0015168901	Local	no	no		/Volumes/ThunderBay/Music/Steve/Music/Minor Swing Quartet/Swing de Paris/02 Nuages.m4a
L'Orchestre de Contrebasses	Bass, Bass, Bass, Bass, Bass & Bass	1	3	Bon Voyage	L'Orchestre de Contrebasses		rovi:MT0015170175	Local	no	no		/Volumes/ThunderBay/Music/Steve/Music/Minor Swing Quartet/Swing de Paris/03 Degringolade.m4a
L'Orchestre de Contrebasses	Bass, Bass, Bass, Bass, Bass & Bass	1	4	Le Mystere des Bois Vulgaires	L'Orchestre de Contrebasses		rovi:MT0015164720	Local	no	no		/Volumes/ThunderBay/Music/Steve/Music/Minor Swing Quartet/Swing de Paris/04 I Can't Give You....m4a
L'Orchestre de Contrebasses	Bass, Bass, Bass, Bass, Bass & Bass	1	5	Artificiel Paris	L'Orchestre de Contrebasses		rovi:MT0015167824	Local	no	no		/Volumes/ThunderBay/Music/Steve/Music/Minor Swing Quartet/Swing de Paris/05 Tico Tico.m4a
L'Orchestre de Contrebasses	Bass, Bass, Bass, Bass, Bass & Bass	1	6	La Pompe	L'Orchestre de Contrebasses		rovi:MT0031608885	Local	no	no		/Volumes/ThunderBay/Music/Steve/Music/Minor Swing Quartet/Swing de Paris/06 Minor Swing.m4a
L'Orchestre de Contrebasses	Bass, Bass, Bass, Bass, Bass & Bass	1	7	Corps de Muse	L'Orchestre de Contrebasses		rovi:MT0015172619	Local	no	no		/Volumes/ThunderBay/Music/Steve/Music/Minor Swing Quartet/Swing de Paris/07 Sous Le Ciel de Paris.m4a
L'Orchestre de Contrebasses	Bass, Bass, Bass, Bass, Bass & Bass	1	8	Tango	L'Orchestre de Contrebasses		rovi:MT0015167128	Local	no	no		/Volumes/ThunderBay/Music/Steve/Music/Minor Swing Quartet/Swing de Paris/08 A Bicyclette.m4a
L'Orchestre de Contrebasses	Bass, Bass, Bass, Bass, Bass & Bass	1	9	Une Vie Simple	L'Orchestre de Contrebasses		rovi:MT0026673306	Local	no	no		/Volumes/ThunderBay/Music/Steve/Music/Minor Swing Quartet/Swing de Paris/09 Swing Gitan.m4a
L'Orchestre de Contrebasses	Bass, Bass, Bass, Bass, Bass & Bass	1	10	[Untitled Track]	L'Orchestre de Contrebasses		rovi:MT0028380163	Local	no	no		/Volumes/ThunderBay/Music/Steve/Music/Minor Swing Quartet/Swing de Paris/10 Manha de Carnival.m4a
L'Orchestre de Contrebasses	Bass, Bass, Bass, Bass, Bass & Bass	1	11	[Untitled Track]	L'Orchestre de Contrebasses		rovi:MT0030278388	Local	no	no		/Volumes/ThunderBay/Music/Steve/Music/Minor Swing Quartet/Swing de Paris/11 Rumba Gitane.m4a
L'Orchestre de Contrebasses	Bass, Bass, Bass, Bass, Bass & Bass	1	12	[Untitled Track]	L'Orchestre de Contrebasses		rovi:MT0015164777	Local	no	no		/Volumes/ThunderBay/Music/Steve/Music/Minor Swing Quartet/Swing de Paris/12 Les Yeux Noirs.m4a

The folders are auto-arranged by iTunes, so I’m reasonably confident that the metadata matches the path the tracks are located at.

Is there another diagnostic step here?

Hello?

As mentioned earlier, the album in question appears to be misidentified.

I assume I can fix this by hand, but is there anything the Roon team would like to know before I destroy the evidence?

It also makes me curious if there are other examples of misidentified albums I need to deal with. Guess it’s time to write a program to process that Excel export…

Hey @Steve_Kalkwarf – if you could zip up the album and PM me a Dropbox link or similar, we can see if there’s something we can do better here.

If you don’t have anywhere to upload it, just drop a PM to @support and we’ll make sure you can upload it to our server.

Glad you figured this out – sorry for the trouble!

You mention the album is mis-identified. Do you see the album in your library with the wrong ID ? Often ‘missing albums’ can be explained by a simple case of mistaken ID.

I typically run a full track XL export and sort by folder path.
Then I can quickly spot such examples.