Albums missing that are on disk

It’s going to help us distinguish between an issue related to the path or folder where the album is currently stored, versus something with the files themselves, or how they’re identified.

Just another data point to help us understand what’s going on here, while we’re waiting on the logs to be analyzed.

The better long-term solution to this class of issue is to include a way to browse to the files themselves in Roon, so you can understand exactly how Roon is handling the files. That functionality is coming, but for now we need to understand why these files aren’t showing up where we’re expecting.

No, I understand, I really do. I’m just trying to figure out what you want me to do.

Right now, the U2 folder has a bunch of “album folders” in it, including “Boy”, “Boy [Deluxe Edition]”, etc.

So, only “Boy” is showing up of the “Boy” variants.

You want me to move the other two “Boy” folders out of the entire 'Music" tree, force a rescan, then you want me to move them to the “root” of “Music” and force a rescan again? Or back to “U2”?

I just want to do what you want… it’s not clear from what you’ve said.

This one :wink:

Thanks for your patience David!

Didn’t seem to make any difference, Mike. I moved it out of the entire tree, forced a rescan, moved it to the root of the watched folder (“Music/Boy [Deluxe Edition]”), then forced a rescan.

At the end, there’s only the regular “Boy” and a Tidal version of the Deluxe Edition that I added when the other Boy didn’t show. There are no alternate versions.

I just encountered something similar. I copied a bunch of .m4a albums that I’d purchased within the last few years from iTunes to my NAS under the umbrella folder where I keep all my music. These shouldn’t have any DRM because they are new-ish.

Despite forcing a re-scan, Roon doesn’t see any of the albums. Other albums I’ve been adding today (not .m4a) are fine.

I copied these directly out of my iTunes music folder and I notice that all folders have a matching “dot file” corresponding to the track with the same name except preceded by a dot. Could that be a problem? Oddly, if I copy the files individually in the Finder, the dot files come along with them, as if they are linked together.

EDIT: Well, nevermind. They are in my library, they just did not show up in the Overview as newly added. That’s…unexpected.

The “dot files” are basically extended attributes, and wouldn’t have this effect.

What was going on for me was that the Boy album was being matched as something other than Boy - specifically, they were being identified as “1977-1984 [Collector’s Box Set]”. So when I looked at Boy, I couldn’t see them, and didn’t think to look under something I didn’t have.

Looking at a full list of tracks was the way we figured it out…

Yeah, seems this is probably a different issue then. These definitely aren’t dupes of any existing albums.

Thanks for the reminder about the extended attributes. I forgot my NAS isn’t HFS+ so that makes perfect sense. The only extended attribute is finder info (checked with xattrs) so it’s not like that would cause this.

I figured it out.

They are marked in Roon as being added the same date as when I added them to my iTunes library! So they show up in all views, but (obviously) aren’t in the Recently Added in the Overview. This is likely because at one point in the past I scanned my local storage when I was traveling, and it’s using the same metadata breadcrumb now that it’s over on my NAS.

Hope this is helpful for someone…