Albums you're supposed to like...But just don't!

I have a list, but I’ll start with one.

Todd Rundgren’s Something/Anything?. This album gets huge kudos from critics. Todd admirably does everything himself (writes, sings, plays all instruments, produces) and yet… I can’t get into it at all.

I suspect I have to give sides 2-4 a listen again, but even if I find some songs I like, I can’t get behind the production (I have the same problem with a few other albums he produced).

What albums do you know you should like, but don’t?

Rick.

1 Like

Kid A - Radiohead
Swordfish trombones - Tom Waits

1 Like

anything by Nick Drake, most things by the Beatles

5 Likes

U2, everything after Rattle&Hum

9 Likes

Anything and everything by Queen

I almost second Dick’s U2 comment except I would say anything and everything by U2.

And I almost forgot my all time favorite thing to dislike that I’m supposed to like: Neal Peart’s drumming which fits perfectly with Rush’s mediocre sound.

By the way, Something/Anything, although rather dated, is a classic but I guess you just had to be there :grin:

6 Likes

Wow I received a “like” for post above. Usually saying anything negative about the “great” Neal Peart starts a flame war. :astonished:

Not a Rush fan :sweat_smile:

1 Like

BBoys Pet Sounds. I’m talking this acclaimed album, not the Beach Boys in general.

3 Likes

I listened to the Beatles Abbey Road last night. Have to say - it impresses. :sunglasses: but then again, the purpose is to point out what we are supposed to like but don’t. So you’re still on point.

1 Like

So is there a key song off each side that you’d put forward to change my impression? How do you get past the production?

Anything by The Rolling Stones.

2 Likes

“Anything by The Rolling Stones.”

Ouch! :grimacing:

2 Likes

Wow, triple dittos. I downloaded the album after watching a documentary about its creation. Was not nearly impressed as the movie producer was.

1 Like

Joanna Newsome - Divers

Bought it based upon glowing reviews. Listened to it a dozen times hoping to “get it.”

Still haven’t.

Would like to like her voice. I really want to.

Anything by Neil Young.

6 Likes

Marquee Moon by Television. Ugly music.

Anything by Dave Gilmour, pretentious wank. I (mostly) love Pink Floyd though.

1 Like

Is that a recognised roon genre?

4 Likes

:joy: probably should be… maybe I’ll add it myself!

I suppose its synonymous with ‘self-indulgent drivel’??

1 Like

A love supreme. Just can’t get into this album but many jazz dudes say it is the bees knees.