Allo DigiOne board

No issue Sean , I dont think you are rude for wanting to have something that works correctly… I am in touch with factory and solving this.

Will contact you today

1 Like

Thanks Johan, greatly appreciate your understanding and your help.

So I had an answer from manufacturing unit.

The resistor added is only for impedance matching . We have added by hand a bigger 0603 instead of the planned 0402 to handle higher power.

However the added resistor has no absolutely no connection to any audio problems experienced.

I also took a look at the testing procedures for the DigiOne. I found that while they testing was done…they checked only for DigiOne to appear in ALSA. I have asked to check for the actual analog output . They will start to do so in both India and EU starting today. All orders of DigiOnes will be held 24/48h until they are tested on analog.

Anyone that has a problem with the analog output of DigiOne please contact me to arrange for a exchange.Meanwhile we will contact every customer that bought a DigiOne from us to check for the quality

Please note that every card has an added resistor for impedance matching at higher power. That does not mean your card is faulty. If you experience any garbled sound , distortions, or very low quality analog sound…then you have a faulty unit.

On behalf of Allo , we apologies to all our customers.

Hi Johan, in terms of ‘added resistor’, is this what you are referring to?

Yes thats the resistor that makes the impedance matching.

Hi

Asked a couple of weeks ago in this thread regarding an appropriate Allo model for my son’s use

Is there’s anyone who can advise most appreciated (sorry if this is a repeat of previous question, I’ve tried looking, but can only find very old posts).

Cheers
John

See here for a simple bundle. Get an SD card and burn something like dietpi or ropieee to it. Instructions on the respective websites.

A couple of times the digiOne has become unresponsive.

Scenario - digiOne grouped with another RAAT zone happily playing all day. Switch to another Devialet zone (Roon air) for the evening, all ok. In the morning power the Devialet up and go bsck to the grouped digiOne - no sound comes out.

Have checked correct input on Devialet. Sometimes it appears to be playing (according to Roon) but no sound. Other times, the transport appears to be kind of frozen or very slow to respond. Zone settings wont open or again, are very slow to respond. Took both a Core restart AND the digiOne pi restart to get it back.

I see some errors like these, not sure if they’re relevant.

07/19 10:57:55 Warn: posting to shutdown SynchronizationContextThread
07/19 10:57:55 Debug: [remoting] firing request callback with null because of dispose

Not sure if this could be Roon, Dietpi, the digi one, or a combo of something else. Will keep an eye on it and see if I can get better logs.

In our setup the 4x RPI+ Digione is happily playing for about 2 weeks continuously . However its using Volumio . I am asking the testing team to sw to DietPi

From the above , seems to be an issue with soft. I will be in touch with @Dan_Knight

2 Likes

After I solved my initial problem (nog recognizing DigiOne after restarts) by disassembling and assembling the DigiOne again, the set plays stable with Max2Play for a couple of days now. The SQ is great. Just for your information.

Hi Johan,

As we currently lack this device, i’am unable to run any tests our end. I’ve asked Ioan to send us a sample board, once it arrives I can begin testing and hopefully find a solution.

1 Like

@allo.com

Hi Johan,
I captured the output waveform of my faulty unit from the oscilloscope.(Both BNC and RCA)

The BNC output voltage is about 2 Vpp.
The RCA output voltage is about 1.5 Vpp.
The cable used is 3 feet long.
(The output voltage of Digi + Pro is about 1 Vpp.)

RCA output (16/44.1)

BNC output (16/44.1)

BNC output 24/192 streams

You have a lot of ringing . If you remove the ringing , the actual level its fine.
How do you connect the probe to the ground ?

I have asked for a reading of the output at the cables, on our website we already have a reading at the RCA/BNC output

I did not use probes and used BNC to BNC coaxial cable and RCA to BNC coaxial cable. (3 feet long)

You use directly the RCA and BNC cables connecting to RCA/BNC inputs on oscilloscope ?

My first sound impressions with the Digione compared to the USBRIDGE:

My setup is:
Digione and USBRIDGE to the Gracedesign M920 DAC directly running a Hypex nCore amp and two Hypex UcD D4.0 sub-amps. Speakers I build myself too consisting of tweeter ScanSpeak Berylium, Mark Audio Alpair 10.3 mid bass and Dayton HF 265 subs with passive slave units. Subs are corrected by a miniDSP with Dirac live and fine tuned with REW. Silver speaker and interlink cabling is also build by myself. Digione’ coax is a KHARMA Supreme cable
Digione is connected to a raspberry with Allo switch mode power supply.
USBRIDGE is connected to Sparky with double linear power supplies.
Both boards run dietpi and Roonendpoint’s RAAT protocol.
If you want to further extend the SQ you should try a very decent Ethernet cable. I use the Audioquest Vodka. I also use a galvanic isolator between the cable and the Sparky made by Pink Faun. Switch between computer and Sparky is a TPlink 108 managed hub fed by an iFi switch mode power. This makes the sound fare more realistic.

I think the usbridge on the Gracedesign is a better combo then the spdif. Mainly due to the better power supply’s I suppose. the digione is a little more rough. S sounds are more pronounced. Stereo image is less wide and deep and more diffuse with the Digione. In coming weeks I will build a linear ps for the Digione and see if they match more closely together.
The USBRIDGE also sounds a little bit better with an Audioquest Jitterbug. Just slightly better air around instruments and voices. A little cleaner.
The USBRIDGE is far better then my old Cubietruck combo. Giving the little step with the jitterbug. The Cubietruck really needed the jitterbug to sound good. This is a big step forward. Timing, image whith and depth, details, black background etc. etc. is much better. I didn’t expect that. A raspberry sounds even worse then the Cubietruck so I didn’t compare it to the USBRIDGE.
One thing I like very much on the Digione combo is the natural warmth this setup displays. I heard this more with spdif sources but not as natural as with the Digione. The USBRIDGE sounds a little less involved, more analytical.
I hope the lps will clean up the other elements mentioned previously. I also hope the future Digione 2.0 will have a separate power input so I can feed sbc and hat separately.
The USBRIDGE eventually will find its place at my friends house together with a Devialet Pro 250 and KHARMA Elegance db9s speakers. I build it for him together with a very nice cabinet custom made by HIFI2000 in Italy.

I also want to mention the beyond great customer support from Allo. They put hard work in there products and Allo community. It seems they are working 24/7 on mail, fora etc. I can’t imagine this being healthy for the staff, but as a customer a really enjoy there responsiveness with technical support.
Shipping is quick and packaging sufficient.
Keep up the good work @allo.com @ALLO_audio_boards!

3 Likes

I connected the DigiOne directly to the oscilloscope with a coaxial cable. I did not use any adapters.
I used two types of coaxial cables. (RCA to BNC cable and BNC to BNC cable.)
I used an RCA to BNC cable to connect to DigiOne’s RCA and a BNC to BNC cable to connect to DigiOne’s BNC.

Hi James

we will post shortly the cables output readings.
In any case , we already established that your unit has a problem (and I think replacement is on the way).

Hi Johan,

I received the tracking number by e-mail and confirmed that it was already shipped.
Thank you for your prompt and friendly service.
I experienced Allo’s impressive customer service.
Great service!

Thank you very much.

Please find attached the readings at the cables output (RCA cable 50Ohm connected to RCA of Digione) and BNC cable 75Ohm connected to BNC of DigiOne.

Also note that by standard of BNC and RCA , there has to be a termination (50Ohm R in case of RCA and 75Ohm in case of BNC) . Measuring without termination resistor will show distorted signals .(ringing )