Allo DigiOne board

Do I must have a BNC to RCA adapter if my dac has RCA input only?
Or there are cables one side is BNC and RCA another?

I would suggest RCA/RCA but you can experiment with RCA/BNC/RCA

Thx Johan, my DigiOne is on the way! So exciting!
Under what condition should I use BNC/RCA output from DigiOne?
And my system is:
hifiberry digi+ pro(Be DigiOne soon) -> DAC(CY-3100) -> amplifier
My dac has coaxial2, usb1 and optical*1 input.

According to my system, I should connect my dac by RCA instead of BNC? Why?
Sor about so many questions, I am new here. Thank you~

If the DAC has a BNC connector use that.

Could bnc connect to coaxial port? There are two on my dac

Buy the 1694A and choose the BNC/RCA option:

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/digital-audio/index.htm

Very affordable, well shielded and well made cable with quality connectors.

OK Thank you!

1 Like

Am I the only one? They donā€™t match each other

I would guess that the nut on the BNC connector is meant to go on the outside of the case, which would shift everything to the right (and make a more secure connection for BNC)

Hi, hiā€¦I had the same problemā€¦untill I noticed that you need to turn the sides. The top and bottom are differentā€¦simpleā€¦

And yes, the nut of the BNC needss to be on the outsideā€¦it is a bit of a puzzle, but when you know it is straight forwardā€¦

Yup, I put mine together ā€˜inside outā€™ first time round, and forgot about the nut!

Not a fan of these style self assembly cases if Iā€™m honest, but it did all fit and line up nicely in the end. A couple if the joins (top to sides) were VERY tight too.

I had no problem assembling the case, but I wish the power supply slot was slightly larger. Not all models of micro usb jacks fit.

Thank all of you for your help. I tried some ways, but seems I miss the right one. I will try it later!

Someone here was going to make some new measurements - canā€™t remember who it was though.

I just wondered if that person does, and has time, Iā€™d love to see what difference an adapter makes (if any) to the signal quality. I.e. BNC>BNC cable against BNC>BNC With a BNC>rca adapter on the dac end.

Hi Johan,

Sorry to let you know late.

I have been very busy for a while and was sick for a few days.
So I could not post about the results.

I used DigiOne (replacement) for a few days.
Itā€™s sound is really good, better than the Digi+ Pro.
It is hard to express in detail in my English.

And there is more heat than Digi+ Pro because it uses 12 LDOs.
Thank you for the kind customer service.

Hello James

good to hear that you got the replacement . Enjoy

DigiOne player (inc RPi3) arrived in good order last week, so I took it to a friends place to use as a Roon endpoint to compare two DACs.

Rather foolishly I didnā€™t configure DietPi before I arrived, as I figured Iā€™d have to change the WiFi details in any event.

I was able to Putty into the DigiOne, but DietPi didnā€™t update and I couldnā€™t find the Config utilities. It seemed to be a Debian installation. Going to have a closer look tonight and possibly reburn the SD card.

Edit: I think the mini SD card that came with the DigiOne may have been faulty. I couldnā€™t access it or format it and it became very hot in the USB holder. A fresh DietPi install on a different SD card was unproblematic.

Listening to a Digione . . .

First off, let me say I am extremely sceptical of much of the foo and BS that exists in hi-fi. Iā€™ve been an audiophile for 30 years ā€“ working my way up from a Dual turntable, NAD amplifier and Mission speakers in the 80ā€™s to a full-on Naim system in the noughties before arriving a my current setup of Benchmark DAC feeding active ATCs. In that time Iā€™ve been sucked into, been a disciple of, and finally spat out an awful lot of audiofool crap. Today I enjoy my listening with my own ears and I donā€™t care what other people think.

To me, digital is a wonderful thing. In years gone by, when it was in its heyday, I was a fan of analogue. I owned a Linn LP12 and a lot of vinyl. Today however I cannot see the point in taking a perfectly good digital recording (and lets face most today are) and transposing it onto a piece of soft plastic to be read by a diamond tracking a wiggly groove; the tiny fragile output of an overpriced cartridge passing through a stack of noisy electronics before reaching my ears. Nope, just send it to me directly where I can decode it more transparently that any analogue system could hope to achieve and enjoy it to the full.

But I digress.

My focus now is solely on simplicity, getting my digital files as cleanly as possible from my NAS to my DAC. For this I use an RPI running Dietpi (with as few processes running as possible) fitted with a HiFi Berry Digi+ pro that feeds a MiniDSP (running Dirac) which in turn feeds my Benchmark DAC2L. For a year or so now all has been hunky dory and I have been happily enjoying my music . .

One niggle has remained however. I have always been curious/uncertain about the differences between USB, S/PDIF (coax and optical) and if my chosen route (optical S/PDIF) was the right one. Whilst the advantages of optical (isolating the DAC from any upstream electrical noise) have made sense to me, I have had a niggling feeling that converting one form of energy (electrical) into another (light) and back again would be a great way to create errors and crud. This is of course a feeling as I donā€™t know enough about how this is achieved to know if this is actually the case or not.

Either way, when I heard about the Allo.com Digione and, in particular, how Allo had rejected optical as an output from the get go (as it had inherently high levels of jitter) - my interest was piqued. Long story short, I decided to try one and see if I could actually hear lower levels of jitter in my system.

Ordering was super easy and the Digione board arrived quickly from Alloā€™s European distributor. Unfortunately my problems then started as, try as I might, I could not get Roon to ā€˜seeā€™ my RPI endpoint with the Digione fitted. Cue a lot of faffing around reinstalling Dietpi (my chosen RPI OS), swearing, head scratching before finally identifying (by putting my old HiFBerry board back in) that the Digione was DOA.

Bugger.

But, all power to Allo, a few emailā€™s later (explaining the problem) a replacement was on its way to me. Suffice to say, installing it this time I was like a man defusing a bomb ā€“ super slow, super careful, anti-static grounding wrist band. . the works. Positively, the new board worked entirely as planned and installation is actually as easy as configuring the Digione as the audio output in Dietpi and setting up a new output in Roon.

Firing it up for the first time I was surprised I could immediately hear something was different. Itā€™s not night and day, but straightaway I noticed high frequencies had changed. There was a definite reduction in harshness and, where previously badly recorded cymbals and sibilant vocals had the potential to grate, I could hear the sounds start and stop rather than just fizz or tizz. My system is unforgiving in this regard (the ATCs donā€™t sugar coat anything!) and, with my love of tacky 80ā€™s pop (the apogee of bad digital sounds) this is a significant win for me. Listening to better quality recordings it was clear that the addition of the Digione was having an effect. Spatial resolution was improved (perhaps as a result of better HF performance) and I was more aware of the space in which a voice track or drum kit (in particular) was recorded. Similarly, the decay of notes is definitely easier to follow.

Is this what lower levels of jitter sounds like? I have no idea. Others more knowledgeable in this area than me can perhaps say. Is it expectation bias? Maybe. At some point I will swap back to my HiFiBerry to see if I can hear a difference. Most tellingly perhaps is that my cat (who is normally unfazed by evenings of loud music) has spent this first evening of music through the Digione with his ears twitching, eyes wide and head turning ā€“ something is clearly different for him! Possibly something else is different (that Iā€™m missing) but for now I am happy to say Iā€™m convinced of the superiority of the Digione over the HiFiBerry as a means to get a S/PDIF signal out of an RPI.

Doug

10 Likes

Hi Johan Could you explain for me whatā€™re pinouts that DigiOne take from RPI GPIO. I have a trouble with DigiOne that it is not detect in some Os although I have to fresh flash card or reassembly it in many times. I will try to use external cable before return it. Thanks