Allo DigiOne board

The Digione is just fabulous. I really believe that it will never be the weakest link in a system. A resolving system really lets the Digione shine.

My power cable shorted out on the Teddy Pardo, so I had to go back to iFi power supply for two weeks. My wife was constantly telling me there is some magic gone. Finially, I got the replacement cable and using the Teddy Pardo again, and man what a noticeable difference. As my wife says, the magic was back, warmth, texture and increase weight in the low end. Just fabulous.

When I first compared the different power supplies there was a positive difference but not so noticeable as now. Not sure if is that we were not listening for the differences, or if the Teddy Pardo needed time to break in. But in any case, the change is as dramatic as going from a crappy new production tube to one of the finest NOS tubes.

People here have questioned the use of a power supply that is 3 to 4 times the cost of the Digione, but for me, the Digione, with a good LPS, and a good SPDIF cable is one of the best deals in audio.

On that note, with my Bryston BDP-1/2 I noticed minor differences in SPDIF cables. With the Digione, the differences are so discernible.

I think however, that the differences with these things depend on rest of your system and how resolving or transparent it is. Resolution and transparency is a double edged sword. But itā€™s nice to know the Digione is far more capable then most systems need.

Thanks again ALLO for such a great product.

Hi Bill,

I absolute agree your opinion about DigiOne, perfect S/PDIF player! In my case it goes via
DigiOne -> Chord 2Qute -> Lehmannaudio Linear -> Sennheisser HD800S ā€¦ sounds very harmonic !

But anyway, I think last weekend I did again a little improvement on my system. I was never happy that the Rasperry Pi is getting the power via a (shit) Mini-USB connector. So I soldered the power of my 5V Sbooster direct on the back of the Raspberry Pi:

• 5V direct on two pins of GPIO connector
  • GND on ā€œa lot of USB groundsā€

Wow ā€¦ sounds better and so far I never had a flashing red power LED again on the Raspberry Pi. Try it, itā€™s only ā€œa 35 Euro riskā€ :sweat: ā€¦ Regards Tom

2 Likes

Tom, that is an awesome idea! I hate that micro USB connector.

That is also an awesome headphone system you have.

Hi Tom, any soldered pics for reference? I wanna try it! Butā€¦it will be my first time for soldering.
Whatā€™s the difference between your GND and the GND on GPIO?

I guess, there is no difference in the GPIO GND. I assume @Tom_WoB showed a different soldering options as it is easier to solder.
Of course you can also use GPIO jumper cables and just connect it to the pins, but then you can not put an audio board on your pi. Some of the boards also have additional GPIO pinouts, that can be used, too, but not all of them.

Hi Jim,

@crieke is right: which GND doesnā€™t matter and I searched for ā€œbig free placesā€ for easy soldering and good contacts. Thatā€™s why the GND-pin you marked is not a good idea (too close to the 5V-pins). You asked for a picture:

Small detail: for fixing the cable I took a broken headphone cable, cut it (need only the plug), inserted the plug in the ā€œnormal headphone jackā€ of the Pi and fixed the cable to the plug with a cable tie!

Some tips for soldering:

• remove all unnecessary parts like DigiOne or Flashcard
  • and ā€¦ itā€™s good to have such tools:

The left one, name ā€œthird handā€, makes soldering itself much easier, because typically you ā€œhave not enough handsā€:

• one for soldering tool
  • one for solder
  • one for fixing Pi
  • one for fixing cable

So the tool can fix Pi and cable! The Multimeter on the right is to check that you didnā€™t solder a ā€œshort circuitā€, otherwise your expensive LPS will die ā€¦ If you donā€™t have a Multimeter I suggest the following scenario:

• again: remove all unnecessary parts like DigiOne and Flashcard (should be already done)
  • take a cheap standard USB-power adapter and use the ā€œoriginal micro-USB power plugā€ (which still works!)
  • ready for ā€œsmoke-testā€ ??? ā€¦ btw: what comes now is where the name ā€œsmoke-testā€ comes from :wink:
  • plug in USB-power adapter and see whatā€™s happening ā€¦
  • if Raspberry Pi Power LED is on :raised_hands:
  • if not ā€¦ oups ā€¦ maybe you smell it already (in USB-power adapter) :open_mouth:

OK, if red Raspberry Pi Power LED is on you can go for LPS, DigiOne, Flashcard ā€¦

1 Like

The only thing you should be aware of: If you power your Pi over GPIO pins, you are bypassing the power protection circuitry. So in case there is a power peak, the pi might get damaged.

Thatā€™s right, but I donā€™t expect ā€œa power peakā€ on an ā€œexpensive audiophile LPSā€, like a Sbooster. If this really happens, I assume the LPS is damaged too, which is typically much more expensive then a damaged Pi ā€¦ so the Pi ā€œis the smallest problemā€ ā€¦

Thanks for such detail explanation and soldering steps!! So, both the two of 5v pin and two of GND need to be soldered?
Btw, my board is rpi3, is its GND position same as yours?

Jim, there is no need to solder two of these ā€œbig GND pinsā€, one should be also fine. I did two because it was ā€œsomehow easierā€, three I think is not possible (too big for generating enough heat for soldering). But one or two is fine and it doesnā€™t matter which one you use (of the four I marked above). Yes, all Raspberry Pis have such GND positions! They have two functionalities:

• ground connection
  • fixing the USB-ports (with a Multimeter you can check the connection between these GND pins and the ā€œcaseā€ of the USB-ports)

Thank you so much, Tom!! I think I wonā€™t fail after you guys helping!

Iā€™ve taken the 6V accessory output from my Arcam amplifier and put this through an ultra low noise LDO to give me 5V. This now powers my DigiOne.

Well, the bass has the most improvement, and there are other improvement in mass and ā€œpresentnessā€.This is quite impressive. Music sounds much more robust and propulsive, soundstage is considerably more open, more revealing of musical textures, more nuance and inner detail, the list goes on.ā€ 

Nah! :grinning:

Happy I did this though as itā€™s a tidy way to power the RPi.

Edit:
ā€ For those that didnā€™t get it, this was said with tongue firmly in cheek.

1 Like

Martin, take it out for a week or two, then put it back in. But donā€™t tell anyone else who listens that you made a change.

Itā€™s just me who listens to my system. :slight_smile: I made the changes to simplify my setup not to improve the audio experience. Indeed, I never expected an improvement on that front; noise really isnā€™t an issue with a switching supply on an RPi using quality hat. In fact, evidence suggests that the difference between switching supply and battery is negligible*. Nonetheless, I think Allo have done a cracking job with the DigiOne by including linear regulators, low pass filters etc. into the design.

*http://archimago.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/measurements-raspberry-pi-3-hifiberry.html

1 Like

Interesting to read that, while making changes to your power supply, you experience an improvement in sound quality without any objective evidence.

I think you need to read my post again.

So you have never attempted to listen for a difference? Or just assume they is no difference? Or donā€™t care if there is a difference? Or compared and found there is no difference?

Not being a jerk, just honestly confused on what your point was?

My personal experience that living with a change for a few weeks and then removing it allows for an immediate impression to be formed. Even better if you can change something with other listeners not knowing and see if they notice a change. Many changes are not noticeable. Some are minor, some are very noticeable. I do this with tube rolling and itā€™s very helpful.

when itā€™s coming the aluminium case for the digione?

1 Like

Of course I listen. There is no discernable difference and Iā€™m not going to spend time pretending there is. The science confirms what I hear.

I get the living away from change thing too. But thatā€™s unreliable. Being away from home for a week I was suprised how good things sounded on my return. It seemed better than my recollection. But thatā€™s nonsense since nothing had changed. I donā€™t think the human ear is reliable in that scenario.

Thanks for clarifying!