Allo DigiOne board

Well, on jitter alone, if Allo’s measurements are to be believed, the DigiOne has something like a >10:1 advantage over the ML-37…

1 Like

Do you use a linear power supply with you RPi too?

The Digione is only powered through the Pi.

Same here and my RPI uses the standard RPi wall wart AC adapter.

I previously said I’m not convinced that a linear PSU make any remarkable difference in this scenario, but I’d welcome any objective evidence to the contrary. When I have a little spare time I’m going to add an LDO to the accessory output of my A19 and power the RPi from this. One way or the other that should put this topic to bed for me.

You also have to consider the effect of the smps on your other equipment. When I got rid of them, there was a noticeable difference.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I should have mentioned in my post that we made HTH comparisons and we judged the performance by the presentation of the music, like tonality, 3D staging, etc.
This is also very subjective, since we all have different tastes and preferences.
I find it also very difficult to exactly describe and put into words what I/we experienced.
Furthermore, the presentation of the transport was also different depending on the chosen output, i.e. AT&T glass fibre, SPDIF coax or XLR balanced.
At the end, we preferred the CD transport over the Pi+DigiOne.

As far as measurements are concerned, there is no type of measurement that is useful to me to decide whether I will like that equipment or not. My ears and taste are the determining factor, which could be different for other people.
I have e.g. an Arcam AV8 pre amp, which has a THD of 0.0015%. It is not much distortion and will do for the kids watching Despicible Me, but not if I want to listen to music. The Arcam is not bad, but for music just average.
I prefer the Audio Research Reference 5 for music. It has a THD of 0.01%, so almost 7 times more distortion. For some reason, I prefer that presentation more, despite measurements being worse. But that is my taste, YMMV.

1 Like

i’m experiencing static pops while playing my music

Sorry, not applicable here.

No pops or anything else are detected by measuring systems or heard in our test setup.

not sure why yet, but for now i’m using my usbridge until I discover what is going on with my digione setup

@ALLO_audio_boards, @allo.com

I have a suggestion regarding the forthcoming alu cases for the DigiOne.

On the video for the alu USB case the M3x40 screws are assembled through the top plate and covered with 4x adhesive top screw covers.
Downsides:
4x adhesive top screw covers needed.
Top plate is not fully flush
Opening the case makes removal of the top screw covers necessary. These might get damaged/destroyed.

Might it be possible to assemble the M3x40 screws from the bottom up?
So you need to:

• Bottom plate: drilll trough +recess
  • Middle plate: drill through
  • Top plate: mill but not through the plate+partly cut M3 thread
    Result:
    Flush top plate
    Better visual appearance
    No adhesive top screw cover needed
    Infinitely disassemblv and re-assembly possible
    (rubber feet will stay sticky or can be bought chaeply new at any DIY shop, black top screw covers probably not)

@Rudy_G

thanks for the suggestions.
the USBRIdge case indeed screws in from the top but we use mat black M3x40 screws which blend in nicely with the rest of the case top, thus eliminating the need for the adhesive screw covers.
we are now experimenting to increase the screw length and offer the possibility of some nice screw in rubber feet. (advantage of screw from the top).

the RPI + BOSS & DIGIONE design is done exactly as you mentioned (screw from bottom).

regards

Thanks for the swift reply!
Can’t wait untill the alu case for the DigiOne becomes available, as I use now temporarily a plastic candy box.
It makes the sound sweeter though :slight_smile:

LOL
as soon as they are on the way i will sound the trumpet.

3 Likes

@allo.com Any chance of a word clock input on the DigiOne? Would be good in combination with the Mutec MC3+USB for example…

No space and also I doubt the clocks are better than DigiOnes

The space argument is quite obvious as the DigiOne is rather compact, however I doubt that the clock in the Mutec is of lesser quality. The main point of an external clock is that the various devices in a chain is clocked by a single source. I am sure you’d even see the Mutec REF10 used here even if the price of a REF10 is very high.
I am tempted by the combination of a DigiOne into my Mutec MC3+USB. Two reclockers (or more…) is known to improve sound quality. Today I use a microRendu 1.4. USB has the advantage of DSD and higher than 192kHz PCM, but I have a feeling that the DigiOne could sound very good here and 192kHz is enough for my current music collection.

I don’t understand this idea of “master clock” from external source used in DigiOne

Does the Mutec have 2x master clocks output (for both sample rates) ? Are they 22/24Mhz ? Whats the rise time ? How will you switch between them ?

Frankly I don’t see any benefit for “one” master clock used for everything …ok it might be of a better quality then your average USB clock .

Whats the advantage of using one MCLK for all the chain ? I see no advantage , just disadvantages (assuming your chain is of good quality). Just because your are using longer cables for your mclk . your rise time will increase (therefore your add jitter)and then you probably need some divider ( adds jitter).

I prefer a short path for mclk signals.

1 Like

It is quite counter intuitive I agree. Word clocks are more used in the studio world and is necessary there with all the units they use. I am certain the quality of clocking on the DigiOne is superb, but I do not think this is related to the quality of individual clocks.
The Mutec has settings for clock rates https://www.mutec-net.com/product_mc-3-plus-usb.php#data I do not know how this actually works. I guess the local clocks would still be used, but they would ‘latch’ onto the external master clock as reference to avoid drift between clock domains. Please keep in mind that even dCS has a separate clock unit as an add on for the multi box playback ‘stack’.

Yeap its probable that they “latch”…meaning they are using PLL. Jitter is added by even the best PLL. Best is oscillator with buffer (no divider or PLL) close to IC.

Thats what DigiOne has.

3 Likes