Allo DigiOne board

My first test was with the normal powersupply for the RPI3 (3000mA). The DigiOne sounds great. As I read in the forum there is interest in what the effect will be when the powersupply is improved. I will explain what I do. I have bought a 21.000 mAH powersupply with pass-through and a 2A port. This powerbank is connected to the RPI3 with a very short (15cm) and thick usb cable. It can provide the RPI with power for more than 24 hours. During the night a timeclock switches on the loader so every morning the bank is 100% loaded.

It is difficult to judge how much of the differences in sound is caused by adding the powerbank as powersupply. Partly it could also be psychological but without a doubt there is a small but noticable difference in sound having only a battery. There is even more separation and all music sounds very clear. This all just for your informationā€¦

Nope, sadly I think mineā€™s a gonner.

Re-seated it (in fact thatā€™s quite time consuming since it means practically disassembling it all), and created a new ropiee install (which requires tweezers to get the SD card in and out of the case - I really donā€™t like those acrylic cases).

Waited for that to sort itself out (a little more than the 4 minute estimate I thinkā€¦ :wink: ), configured the HAT, rebooted, waited steady Green light. Can get to the web config page, but nothing shows up in Roon. Double-checked spdif cable connected (not sure if itā€™s required or not).

Not sure if you can shell in with ropiee so canā€™t do much more diagnostics than that. Will do one last ditch test to do a fresh install of dietpi tonight if I can, and if that works I think I might have to conclude that itā€™s deadā€¦

Doesnā€™t seem like anyone else is having issues, guess this isnā€™t my lucky weekā€¦

[edit] OK, did another fresh dietpi install. all configured OK. No show in Roon, no sound card listed in aplay -l. Doh, not my lucky nightā€¦ Right, back to the music - hadnā€™t planned on spending the night tinkeringā€¦

Just to add - Iā€™ve never used spdif before - should I have shutdown before swapping cables over? Iā€™m not much of a shutter-downer in general so didnā€™t even think to.

I ordered a DigiOne and BNC to BNC cable from Allo.com two days ago.

How long does it take to ship?

Ok we will arrange for a replacement.

Should be the day after you placed the order.

Thx you Peter . We appreciate it .:slight_smile:

Many thanks Johan. As discussed in email, I hope it wasnā€™t me swapping the cable overā€¦

I guess most people will connect and leave it, whereas Iā€™m testing two different DAC inputs, but still seems like itā€™s good advice to unplug the cable at the digiOne end before connecting to the DAC.

Thank you, Johan.
However, three days after ordering, the order status does not change.
The order status is still ā€œPayment acceptedā€.

What will happen with the test now @hifi_swlon as I asume you will use Roon directly to your Devialet?

No, the test continuesā€¦

One reason is the Devialet direct integration - as amazing as it is - canā€™t be grouped with other RAAT zones. This was my original reason for the purchase, as my lounge and kitchen are semi-open plan and are often grouped when just ā€˜around the houseā€™. The AIR virtual driver could be grouped, but sync wasnā€™t constant due to its variable latency. So this was really annoying.

So for that reason Iā€™ll carry on, as I could always have two zones permanently setup - the digiOne grouped with the kitchen as one zone, and the AIR native streamer another for proper evening sessions.

Ultimately it will come down to SQ though. If I find the digiOne easier to listen to, or better in some other way, Iā€™d still use it as my primary playback setup. Iā€™d lose the volume control and other niceties of AIR direct but to be honest Iā€™ll probably stick with the physical remote anyway.

At the end of the day Iā€™m curious about the many opinions that say the Devialetā€™s Sq is influenced by the input - so part of it is just to explore this for fun and see whether itā€™s something to worry about in my setup or not.

But my hunch is native AIR will sound very good. Weā€™ll seeā€¦ great to have optionsā€¦ not least since it seems Iā€™m good at killing things. :slight_smile:

As much as I love the new Roon integration of Devialet AIR, I also have the occasional times where being able to sync multiple players around the house is needed. Iā€™ve been switching my mRendu on my Devialet to use Squeezelite for that purpose since all my other players are using old Squeezeboxes (kitchen, bedroom, etcā€¦). So now I have the choice - to keep the mRendu connected to my Devialet solely for that purpose or pick up an Allo for that purpose. So Iā€™m very curious to hear from anyone that has compared SQ (and ease of functionality) between the DigiOne and a mRendu.

My microrendu comparison is from memory, but at the time it was pretty close but I preferred AIR. Sadly I didnā€™t test the zone grouping stuff with the virtual air driver enough before selling the rendu!

Iā€™m now comparing AIR to digiOne so will hopefully be of some use to you. Well, when I get my new one! :slight_smile:

1 Like

All info from you regarding what you think about the DigiOne is appreciated and perhapps even more now with the new Roon AIR solution working.

Nice new avatar! :wink:

Just wanted to feel how it feels replacing the Devialet avatar :wink:ā€¦It feels right so I think my choice is right abot my next gear :sunglasses:

Will need some endpoint to Roon so much search will go on.

@allo.com Got my digione with case, RPi3 and SD card with dietpi on it. Configured dietpi with roon bridge and the digione. Aplay -l says no soundcard and of course roon doesnā€™t detect it. grrrrrrrr.

And the website says the digione player (which is what I bought) ships assembled but mine wasnā€™t. Not a big deal for me to put it together but others may not like it.

Hi Tony,

sorry about the assembled part, we updated our website last Friday night, maybe your order got caught between ā€œbefore and afterā€ assembly. We apologize.

If alsa does not detectā€¦ many time just removing and reinserting the DigiOne fixes the problem. If not a fresh install of DietPi is required. Let me know.

Hi, I had the same issue. Allo replaced the board. Great service!
The new board is playing nicely. Only issue so far: switching sampling freq. is not making the setup happy. It gives a lot of distortion. I made a worke around setting a time delay in Roon. But still the issue sometimes pops up.
Any ideas? Up sampling is also a no-no! Only distortion.

I will get back shortly on sound Q. I also have a Sparky with USBridge. Nice to compare :wink:

Tried it with dietpi and ropieee on 2 different Pis. No go on either. The digione must be faulty.

Hi Tony,
a new unit will be on its way. I have asked the EU shipping to do a double check on units (they were tested in India) just to make sure nothing happened in transit.

1 Like