Allo Katana DAC

What happened to the Katana its been way longer that 14 days? Is this thing DOA?

Nope…we are improving many things and it takes time. Today we tested the supercap on board (we fixed the oscillation ) and sound has been improved further (we are observing a decrease of noise across all rails)

Can the Katana be configured to work as a preamp driving a power amp directly?

Impressed by the hardware :slight_smile:
Many thanks

Nirvana outputs 2.1Vrms. It can drive a power amp direct

Thank you for the response johan. Assuming a power amp has 1.1V input sensitivity, will the 2.1Vrms of the Katana have any implications?
Cheers

It will work fine , dac itself has volume. You can keep it at 50% so 1.1vrms

I missunderstood the question. Yes Katana can work as a preamp (it has volume)

When will we be able to order the upgraded Katana? Thank you.

We hope by the end of this week

1 Like

Johan,
Thank you, I was refering to the “fixed” Katana I thought there were issues with the first incarnation that caused you to stop sales. I was wondering when the issues would be resolved and it put on sale. You have answered my question. Cheers

Richard

Johan, any news as the week has passed and I am interested to buy one. Regards Norwin

1 Like

It’s been weeks and no Katana? What is going on? Will this product ever reach the market?

2 Likes

My order has been sent last week, so probably yes.

Katanas are being build and shipped every day , we will have them ready for sale before the holidays

Hi, what is your experience with the Katana after having it some days now? And which DAC did you use before the Katana?

I’m going to get my revised Katana with Isolator tomorrow. I plan on running Ropeee on it. Has anyone done this? Is anyone running the “new” Katana? Impressions?

The Katana sounds detailed and clear from bass to trebles. I came from the Boss board. Bass is more defined but leaner, more on the SQ board than on the THD+N. The mids seem more prominent. The Boss was roughly on par with my old Marantz CD-63SE for me, the Katana is better but demands very good source material. Bad material got even worse. :wink:

Can you tell us a bit more ?

Did you get your revised version ? What do you think so far

I believe I got the revised version. It sounds very good, a best buy at the price. Be sure to use good power supplies ( iFi minimum). The more supplies the better it sounds. A great product and works well with Ropeee although Ropeee will not boot off the eMMC card you must use a microSD card.