Allo USBridge board

Hi @Gurpreet_Kohli

Thanks for your answer :pray:.

But I figured out a more simple way :+1:, I just connected the Boss to my power and Ethernet connection I have to my USBridge!
When I could open the app I have to my iPad for Volumio, connect my wifi dongle to my network and making the setup for Spotify, NAS, Air Play etcā€¦
So now Iā€™m having music in my bedroom as well :smile:.

I wish you a great continued weekend,
Anders

Anyone had success installing hqplayer NAA on dietpi (or volumio)??

Sure ā€¦ on DietPi very easy to install and very robust.
On Volumio i donā€™t know.

Great. Thanks.

but not the hqplayer only the naa serviceā€¦

Dear Dan,

It was simpler to just move back to v155. I just flashed it on the Micro SD card. Shairport is now working fine !

I could not locate v156 though - the non-GUI version. Maybe the problem is some incompatibility between the GUI and Shairport - so Iā€™m not keen to try that.

Iā€™ll stick to v155 as the upgrade will again corrupt Shairport. I could do an experiment to just upgrade Shairport to the latest version. Will this command do the trick?

root@DietPi:~# shairport-sync -V
3.1.3-OpenSSL-Avahi-ALSA-soxr-metadata-sysconfdir:/usr/local/etc

Thanks again. I pretty much knew when i bought USBridge that it will be ā€œhigh maintenanceā€. The value equation still rocks !

Hi,

It appears you are running WiFi connection on the device. Please can you change this to hard wired LAN and re-test Youtube + Shairport stability?

We believe WiFi instability/performance may be a factor in the issue you are experiencing. We highly recommend hard wired Ethernet/LAN on the device, to ensure stable audio streaming experience.

Hi @Gurpreet_Kohli
Like @Dan_Knight is writing, so shall you avoid to using WIFI on all ā€œimportantā€ device.
Not only on music products but all important things, when itā€™s coming to hifi, surround systemā€¦
Because as @Dan_Knight saying: hard wired Ethernet/LAN on the device, to ensure stable audio streaming experience.
Itā€™s so easy that WiFi is just missing a little, little bit of connection to the source and the problem is a fact!
Okay this can happen with hard wired Ethernet/LAN, but if you have a good/great Router and using at least cat6 ethernet cables and a good switch.
So is it more stable than WiFi every day in a week, and if itā€™s getting you some kind of problem itā€™s showing on your hole network system!

Okay Iā€™m using the Allo WiFi dongle myself for the moment, on my Allo/Rpi Boss player and Dac, but itā€™s only because I havenā€™t put in my network to my bedroom yet! There Iā€™m using the Boss and amp to getting music, itā€™s working great for the moment, okay itā€™s taking a little more time to get it to starting up and if Iā€™m making some changes, but itā€™s working. Iā€™m using Volumio on my Boss player/dac, I havenā€™t used it before but Iā€™m surprised that it can do! If I want to play music from Roon I only have to run the Core on my computer. So does it play music from Roon, TIDAL over Air Play and if I close my computer. So can I play music from Spotify and my NAS, web radio!
DSD music files from my NAS are working and sounds incredible great :+1:, well everything works and sounds incredible great.
Much better than I thought and itā€™s easy to setup and use, the Volumio app for iPad and iPhone is also great :+1:.
But I now that it will work and sounding better when I have put in my network there, and itā€™s hard wired Ethernet/LAN on the device, to ensure a much more stable audio streaming connection.

So use only WiFi if you donā€™t have any hard wired Ethernet/LAN in the room, until you get your hard wired Ethernet/LAN Network on place to the device, to ensure stable audio streaming.
Okay, many people or some are saying that itā€™s no difference between WiFi or Bluetooth against hard wired Ethernet/LAN on the device, to audio streaming!
But itā€™s depends on what quality of products and sound, people are satisfied with and itā€™s like everything else! A matter of taste and if they who claiming it are satisfied with it itā€™s fine for me :+1:.

I hope that the hard wired Ethernet/LAN on the device, to ensure stable audio streaming experience, solve your problems.

All the best Anders

Dear Anders, @Dan_Knight,

Thanks for your inputs. The community on Roon has really been helpful!

Actually, iā€™ve had no issues with the Allo wifi dongle so far. Works like a charm with Roon.

My issues only started with V157 (Allo GUI version) and that too only for Shairport.

Iā€™m now using V155. Everything works (but no Allo GUI - but frankly, i can live without it) - esp Roon and Shairport.

On ethernet, I have multiple rooms and i cannot lay cables all over the house. So, i need a wifi solution. I would rather change the software which works well with wifi - Roon is really stable with all Dietpi versions. And with V155, i have a stable Shairport link too.

I do want to upgrade to the latest Dietpi version and so, will keep evaluating how to get Shairport to work with V157.

Regards,

Gurpreet

Dear Gurpreet,

Itā€™s so little and I like to share my experience, to people who want it :+1:.
When you describe how you have it at your house, so does I understand why you using WiFi!
But as I wrote itā€™s more stability with Ethernet cables, but if you have a great/good router and extenders that is covering your hole house!
So you donā€™t have any blindness that makes your WiFi signals, loosening anything between your different extenders, so rather to many extenders than to few :smile:. So you get full internet power to each of your WiFi dongles! I think itā€™s possible to buy a special device that makes so you can check, if you have any weakness on some spot and itā€™s not expensive! Check with your internet provider (the company that you get your internet from), if they can come home to you and check it out!
But ask them how much they take for that service!!! So can you compare that is the cheapest way, you can always talk with your friends or work colleges and if they donā€™t have any equipment for it, well maybe they now someone else that can help you out with it :+1:.
But honestly ā€œbetween you and meā€ well everyone else can read it as well :smile:but I donā€™t care!
A update version of a product, shouldnā€™t make things that work great before stop working so ā€œwe users shall have to make a lot of different things, so itā€™s working againā€. But itā€™s my opinion on stuff like this :scream:!

I wish you all the best, your friend Anders

@allo.com

Today, I ordered an ALLO USBridge after listening to Hans Beekhuyzenā€™s glowing review of it. I plan to connect my Dragonfly Red to it.

Since the Dragonfly does not have an external power supply, I assume/hope that the USBridge has enough power to drive it?

Thank you.

Hi Jacob,
I have it myself, the Allo USBridge not the Dragonfly!
But I have the Meridian Explorer 2, thatā€™s also needs power and I havenā€™t had any problems with it.
So itā€™s shall working just fine.
Are you intended to use power to the USBridge and Sparky, each to one another?
I have tried and testing the USBridge in many different ways, and Iā€™m getting better sounding by only feeding the USBridge with power and itā€™s feeding sparky. Itā€™s not so important if the ā€œJ28ā€ jumper are on place or removed!

But if you have ordered one extra 5V PSU, so try to use both and listen to thatā€™s configuration works and sounds best for you!
If you shall use a ifi 5V PSU do only use it, or if you have any other PSU.

I use the Allo PSU and some Entreq products, so my Allo USBridge works perfectly and sounds amazing. I have compared it with both the microrendu and the ultrarendu, but my Allo USBridge sounds much better :+1:.

Good luck with your Allo USBridge itā€™s cheaper than many other products, but itā€™s working perfectly and sounds amazing!
So itā€™s just have a great price, but itā€™s not working or sounding cheap itā€™s the other products whoā€™s, having a way to high price!

All the best
Anders

The Mytek Brooklyn natively supports DSD256. So is it the case that the DietPi/USBridge and the Mytek are not compatible at this sample rate? And, will the USBridge passthrough MQA unhindered?

Thanks.

One of our customers is testing the 256 DSD with the latest release. On previous releases there was some type of noise at 256 native DSD with the Mytek Brooklyn.

MQA is passed whiteout a problem.

1 Like

Updates available:

• DietPi v158
  • Allo GUI v3

Main fixes/changes:

• Critical Sparky SBC stability kernel patch, to resolve issues with URB errors (USB, loss of device) and Ethernet stability.
  • DSD support for Squeezelite
  • Added ability to set S24_3 bit depth modes for Shairport-sync and Squeezelite. Required by some DACs

Full change-log:

How do I update?
Please check the web interface > System settings page to update your system.
NB: DietPi only checks for new updates once daily. If the update is not showing as available, you can force a recheck by rebooting the system.

Thanks Johan, I appreciate this. I will hold off purchasing the USBridge for now. But Iā€™d be interested in hearing more about the compatibility issue with the Mytek Brooklyn. I am currently outputting DSD256 via. a microRendu to the Brooklyn without issue.

Like Johan @allo.com
Wrote so is MQA working perfectly with the USBridge :+1:.
I donā€™t have the Brooklyn yet, unfortunately!
And I only have DSD 128 music and my DAC doesnā€™t take higher anyway, so I havenā€™t had the possibility to try it!
But the Allo USBridge is absolutely great :+1: and I never have heard or noticed any dropouts etcā€¦

Good luck with your perfect buying.

1 Like

We tried to talk to Mytek without success. I will let you know if the issue is solved.

1 Like

Hi Anders!

Thanks for your feedback!

I am glad that the USBridge works well with your Meridian Explorer 2. I think that the USBridge should work well with the Dragonfly too.

I have a good linear power supply. I will connect it directly to the USBridge, and let it feed the Sparky.

Thanks again, take care!

Jacob.

1 Like

version 158 and mytek brooklyn noise is still present at DSD 256. Eveyting else works fine

1 Like