Allo USBridge board

What I did:
I keep the Project On using separete PSU all the time when doing this.

1. Flash the eMMC card with latest 6.1 DietPi with Allo GUI
    http://dietpi.com/downloads/images/DietPi_SparkySBC-ARMv7-Stretch_AlloGUI.7z
  2. Do all changes in the GUI I need, save settings reboot.
  3. Change back (in my case changes in GUI switches USB to 1.1) to 0 value of aotg.aotg1_speed=0 in /DietPi/uEnv.txt
  4. Via ssh as root:
    cd /usr/src

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sparky-sbc/sparky-test/master/pro-ject-s2/snd-usb-audio.ko -O /lib/modules/3.10.38/kernel/sound/usb/snd-usb-audio.ko

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sparky-sbc/sparky-test/master/pro-ject-s2/snd-usbmidi-lib.ko -O /lib/modules/3.10.38/kernel/sound/usb/snd-usbmidi-lib.ko
5. reboot
Worked from the first time.

Hi @Anthony_Bristol

Please refer our PM Thank you for your update.
DAC got muted on Alsamixer , after unmute it starts working.

Some users are asking the steps for flashing eMMC without disassembling the ALU case.

if you know linux commands and you have spare sd card, can flash eMMC without disassembling the box. Little care need to be taken. refer below document.

https://github.com/sparkysbc/sparky_linux_images/blob/master/sparky_built-in_emmc_flash_from%20sd.pdf

1 Like

Thanks. What is the issue with dissembling the Alu case? After every disassembly shall we use new heat sink pad? Or it can be reused if not damaged during disassembly?

disassembly not a problem, we can very well reuse the heat sink pad, I donā€™t think the heat sink pad will squeeze or deform very fast. we tried more than 10 times opened and closed for a check, got same performance while testing.

Disassemble and assembling is time consuming, some time users may not preferring to open the case.

Ok thanks. I did three times;), and see the CPU temperature still low (47C) (much lower then on DIgiOne in Acrylic case). So I have still 7 lifes to go at least, good ;).

@allo.com
Hi,
I wonder, why the Sparky kernel is not updated for some time, stopped at version 3.x when the kernels are now version 4.1x?

1 Like

The manufacturer of the CPU is the one responsible for kernels. I know an effort is underway to bring it to mainlineā€¦but frankly I have no idea when and how it will happen

if not mistaken as architecture is still a ARMv7 Processor as that of raspberry ā€¦ but the raspberry kernel are 4:10 with test 4:15 ā€¦
3.x is seriously old

yes older kernel. Unfortunatley the new kernel is in the hands of actions-semi and we are depended on them. Like I said I know an effort is underway to mainline it.

1 Like

is this whatā€™s hampering @spockfishā€™s efforts with Ropieee-for-USBridge ?

a kernel so old is unthinkableā€¦the heart of the system should always be updated;)
Itā€™s like having a nice bike with a very old engine

USB re cloaking and noise reduction is entirely hardware .

As I said efforts are underway to upgrade the kernel but its not up to us.

1 Like

Yes, itā€™s one of the biggest issues and a not fully open toolchain. It means basically that I need to port Archlinux to Sparky as thatā€™s what RoPieee is based on (and Iā€™m not going to change that).

Hi John, where did you email Allo? Iā€™m not having any joy getting a response from them.

Many thanks

Pretty interested in one of these beautiesā€¦

Currently running Mac Mini > Iso-Regen (powered with LPS-1) > DAC

Would updating my chain to:

Mac Mini > Allo USB Bridge > Iso-Regen (LPS-1) > DAC be a worthwhile investment???

We are here , sorry very busy.

I have never had any problems with my Allo USBridge!
Itā€™s working perfectly and I have even compared it with microrendu and ultrarendu, and they donā€™t work or sound as good as my USBridge!
Okay I have a Entreq grounding box connected with a Entreq grounding cable usb, into the USBridge so itā€™s totally quiet and sound better.
Connected to a ifi micro ā€“ iUSB3.0 using a ifi Genemi usb cable the sound usb into the USBridge and the power usb into the usb in Sparky!
I also use the Allo original 5V PSU!

Thanks Allo for your great products
Anders

4 Likes

:+1: thank you

I finally bought one last night. Thanks to the folks posting about having no problems. I was starting to get very worried.