Allo USBridge board

Two comments:

1. Unclear that the Iso-Regen would do much in that setup. I guess it’s an easy comparison for you to make once you the the USBridge.
  2. Depending on the DAC, getting out of USB altogether is a significant win. I don’t own an Allo DigiOne Player, which is the S/PDIF alternative to the USBridge, but it might be worth considering if your DAC accepts S/PDIF coax.
2 Likes

That’s a pretty bold claim. Interested if it was a direct comparison? Did you have these already or were you demoing them? How did the rendus not work?

Dear @anon72719171
In what way is it pretty bold claim?
A friend of mine have them, so I borrowed them from him!
I haven’t said or wrote that the rends didn’t work!
I wrote that my Allo USBridge, with some great products from Entreq connected was sounding better! (I noticed that I wrote working better and I apologize for that because they worked great, but didn’t sound as good as the USBridge)!

The products that I used from Entreq, made the Allo USBridge close to what the microrendu and ultrarendu price!
So I didn’t use them on the rends in “my bold” writing!
But of course did I used them to check how the difference would be!
But it’s making them twice the price, but I can only say that it’s worth it because they sounded amazing with the Entreq products!
I can also say that I don’t have my USBridge in the plexiglass or aluminum case, because it’s have a negative impact on the sound!
So I have my USBridge naked for the moment, I’m waiting for a wood case to it!
Now it’s laying naked on two Entreq Garbo 4 feet’s!

I have my hole music system grounding with Entreq products and all my amp’s, DAC’s, Speakers…standing on their 3 different kinds of feet’s and it’s sounds amazing :wink:.

L&R
Anders

I don´t have grounded outlets. Is that a problem, regarding products lite the USBridge?

Need some help. Received Allo Usbridge yesterday. Plays 16X44.1 only. Get static noise on all rates. Hooked up my IMac in place of the Allo and plays my 24X96 no issues. I have powered down and back up the Allo no help

Many thanks for this information!

My DAC has a good USB input and I like DSD so the SPDIF route is not possible.

For the time being I will keep the ISO-Regen in place as the USB cleanup device.

I used the cash to (finally) buy a licence for HQ Player which sounds great. Can only upsample to DSD 128 in my setup but using closed form/xtr filters.

Will revisit buying the ALLO USB Bridge when I upgrade my computer to something more powerful to enable higher upsampling and need to separate the core from my PC.

access: RW_INTERLEAVED | format: S16_LE | subformat: STD | channels: 2 | rate: 44100 (44100/1) | period_size: 882 | buffer_size: 1764

Above is a 44.1 song being played

access: RW_INTERLEAVED | format: S24_3LE | subformat: STD | channels: 2 | rate: 96000 (96000/1) | period_size: 1920 | buffer_size: 3840
Above is a 24 bit 192 wav file

I rebooted no help

All that plays above 44.1 is static

I just got my USBridge and am having a couple of issues:

1. I cannot add it as a Roon endpoint in Audio settings. I see it listed but when I try to enable it I get an error that says it Device not found.

2. I cannot play DSD512 using HQP and NAA. I get lots of stuttering and drop outs. DSD256 plays fine though. Before getting my USBridge I was able to play DSD512 just fine using my Windows based PC as an NAA.

Any advice on either issue would be greatly appreciated.

My USBridge disappeared as a Roon endpoint when DietPi updated to 6.2 via dietpi-update. The GUI claims Roon is active, but the only output options that Roon finds on the USBridge are atm7059_link, not the one for the USBbridge board. I’ve tried rebooting, turning Roon Bridge on and off via the GUI, no luck.
Update 3: Blush… Between going on a trip and first attempt to use this system after my return, somehow the USB cable from the USBridge to my DAC got partly unplugged from the DAC. Not enough to be easily visible, but enough to make that port inactive. No idea how this happened, but a lesson that when in doubt, check the cable connections :roll_eyes:

Ok got Roon to add the USBridge as an endpoint. Now the problem is that after exactly 22 seconds the music stops when I try to play DSD512. I get an error to the effect of Roon not being to receive the music data. I’ve never had this issue playing DSD512 with my other endpoints. Btw, I also can’t play DSD512 through the USBridge using HQP either.

I don’t use DSD, but just checked the Playback settings for my USBridge on Roon’s Audio Device Setup panel, it indicates bit-perfect support for DSD512. This is with DietPi 6.2 on the USBridge. Do you have an earlier software version, and does it support DSD512?

Thank you for the reply. My USBridge is on version 6.2 which I believe is the latest.

I will also say that playing DSD256 through the USBridge sounds very very good, better than my current el cheapo PC acting as NAA. I am hearing much more nuance and subtleties.

I just reassembled my USBridge with the nice new aluminum case. I think I did it right, although the assembly video on the allo.com site diverges from how the case is shipped. The biggest difference is that the thermal pads come already stuck to the top piece of the case, and as far as I could determine by touching the pads to feel their stickiness, they do not ship with protective plastic, again against what’s shown on the video. I hope did the thermal assembly correctly, I don’t want my lovely USBridge to fry. Anyway, it is back in business demonstrating that a great Roon streamer does not need to be expensive. I think these could sell very well pre-assembled, BTW.

I just purchased one and it came fully assembled.

2 Likes

More testing…DSD256 works. So odd because I can do DSD512 when I use HQP and a windows based PC as NAA or Roon endpoint. Its just the USBridge that wont seem to work at DSD512. Anyone have any ideas?

They must have changed at some stage and not updated the video as mine came with all the pads separate and with the plastic on them which was a pain to get off.

BINGO!!! DSD512 playing through the USBridge! The issue was somehow related to the network bridge I created so that I could connect my NAA directly to my HQP pc. Once I deleted the network bridge and connected the USBridge to the switch instead DSD512 plays just fine. Whats odd, is that before deleting the network bridge, I did try having the USBridge wired to the switch but still had dropouts. Even more odd is that my windows based NAA pc worked fine with the network bridge and direct connection to the HQP pc.

Now I need to figure out if this configuration sounds better than a direct connection to the HQP pc. In previous tests I preferred the direct connection.

Here was my previous network setup

Wireless AC bridge >> Cat 6a >> HQP PC >> Cat6a >> NAA

Here is the new network setup

Wireless AC bridge >> Cat 6a >> switch >> Cat 6a x2 >> HQP PC & NAA

Is anyone feeding Mytek Brookyln dac / Mytek Brooklyn dac plus with usBridge and playing dsd 256 ?

I have Ethernet and wireless working but when I try the gigabit usb 3 dongle it does not work. It shows up on my network but I can’t SSH in and Roon does not see it. Do I need to configure something in dietpi?

Rob.