Allo USBridge board

Hi, does make sense to put a singxer su-1 I’m between my usbridge and my dac? Or I won’t notice any improvement??

It depends on the DAC. Schiit multibit DACs with the old Gen 3 USB do better with coax S/PDIF or AES than with USB, but there’s little or no difference with the currently shipping Gen 5 USB versions of Bifrost multibit (I’ve tested this myself) or Yggdrasil (tested by someone I trust). With my Holo Spring KTE 3, I2S from SU-1 is noticeably better than USB or even S/PDIF coax (which I tested with a USBridge>Schiit Eitr combination). OTOH, I could not hear a discernible difference between USB and other sources on my Soekris dac1541.

Thanks for clarifying me about all this. but in such case isn’t just easier to get a digione instead of starting the path with an usbridge?

Coax S/PDIF data rate tops out at PCM 192/24. Some users like to do upsampling to higher rates, or use very high rate DSD, and those can only be done through USB. In my case, I only use PCM up to 192/24, but the Holo Spring DAC really likes I2S better than the other inputs, and the SU-1 DDC I use to provide I2S to the DAC requires USB input.

But if you own or plan to own a DAC that does S/PDIF (or AES) as well or better than USB – lots do, including the Schiit multibit DACs – DigiOne seems a better choice as you say.

For example, DigiOne Player into a Schiit Modi 2 multibit totals less than $500 (including sundries like a decent S/PDIF cable) and I doubt you get get a better streamer-DAC combo for that price.

Overall, I’m super-impressed by what Allo has been able to achieve with these low-cost Pi or Sparky streamers. The fact that after quite a bit of experimentation with more expensive streaming solutions, I ended with a $180 USBridge feeding a multi-thousand $ stack of DDC, DAC, amp, and headphones, tells me a lot about the care that the Allo team has put in their design and implementation.

3 Likes

@Fernando_Pereira Would you feed a USBridge into a Modi without a USB signal reclocker or would you jump to the Bifrost to get USB 5?

I’ve not owned the Modi MB, so I don’t have 1st hand knowledge of the difference between USBridge>Modi MB and a good S/PDIF source. Here’s what I know. I used to own a Bifrost MB with the old Gen 3 USB (which is what the the Modi MB has). It sounded better with S/PDIF than with USB. Then I upgraded it to Gen 5 USB, which the current Bifrost MB comes with. The difference between USB and S/PDIF pretty much disappeared. The Gen 5 Bifrost MB (which I handed over to my daughter for other reasons) sounded as good as I ever heard it with a variety of sources with the USBridge as source.

Funny you mention that, as I am using that combo as I type.

Why would you bother with USB? SPDIF works great and sounds just as good if not better on the Modi.

Did anyone else have trouble getting the USB3 gigablt dongle to work? Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot?
Rob.

The USB3 Dongle it’s a nightmare, for me it only works once, when works the link light turns blue, when not red, but it stop working out of nowhere

Just got my USBBridge from Allo. It was assembled but I had to open it anyway because something was rattling inside. It was a small board 1x2cm that was lying around and only seemed to be fitting in one spot so I attached it back. After powering it on everything seems to be working fine.
I hope that it stays put. Sound is a nice improvement compared to a bare RPI!

The USB Bridge is attached to my W4S 1v2 DAC and although this DAC should be able to play DSD 256 natively, in the settings only DSD64 and DSD128 are green. (256/512 are both red).
Is there anything else I would need to do to enable DSD 256?

I have the same issue @allo.com. What was the fix?

Hi all fellow Roon and Allo USBridge users.

For the first time since I started using Roon and the USBridge and it’s been for awhile now!
I don’t know if it’s my (still using my old Pc laptop) what is on it’s way too give up!
Or it’s my USBridge!
That causes the last days of problems?
When I play music, so does it just stop playing and after a couple of seconds does it start playing again, but with a different song!
I haven’t updated my USBridge for a longtime, since I have been reading that there’s been some problems with a couple of versions!
Since my have worked perfectly I haven’t made it, I have version 156 I believe!
But it’s not sure it’s my USBridge who’s making the problems, it can be my computer!
What version is the newest on the USBridge?
Shall I try to update it to that? Or does users have any problems with it?

Thankful for suggestions.

L&R

Anders

Anders, the latest version is 6.4. It’s completely rewritten, so you cannot just use the update-function. You have to write a new image to the sd-card.

1 Like

Hi,
I have a problem with my USBridge, no way to make my 2qute detected.
It’s been detected when i plug it in any USB from the Sparky but no way from the usbridge usb port.
Would someone have any clue ?
Thx !

Additional info: Sparky is powered with original supply, usbridge with ifi 5v supply. Jumper 28 removed

Hi @Dick_Vliek
Thanks for your update how it works no days!
Have you the possibility to help me out!
Because I can’t write a new image to a SD card (I don’t have the equipment to do it)!
On top of that, so have my screen on my pc give up so it’s just Black! (My son has physical disorder, so he hit the screen with a screwdriver when he passed my computer)!
So it crashed (just a little bending in but enough to destroy it).
I pay you for do it + send it to Sweden.
If you can’t or want to do it, it’s okay!
Maybe some other people who reading this, want to do it? In that case just send me a PM, for my address etc…

Life is wonderful but, sometimes it’s sucks.

Anders

They sent me a link for update firmware for my usbridge. This worked perfectly. They said it would be included in the next release. I have other upgraded as have to flash the unit and it working and stable for me now.

1 Like

My USBridge is working well now. I used the GUI and turned off Shairport. I’m also able to play DSD256 through the bridge and Mytek Brooklyn DAC+. Nice setup.

Hi all,

After some advice and opinions please.

I am using a digione in my main system and it sounds great, no plan to change. Now I want to set up another zone for headphone use. Ideally this would be wifi based.

Any experience or thoughts on USBridge with Pro-Ject Prebox S2 digital and a wifi dongle? I plan to use Oppo PM-3 headphones (not sure if this is relevant)

I have ordered the S2 as it fits my bill for a headphone amp/dac but am looking for the streaming solution - I do not really want to have to boot up my laptop all the time.
There seems some comments that a dedicated power supply would improve the S2 - would this also be the case if added the Allo USBridge?

Thanks in advance for any ideas and opinions

Upgraded to latest version of Detpi (6.5), updated my iFi BL Micro (5.3) and Roon is reporting the following:

Is there a config edit I need to make in DietPi to report the full capability of the ifi BL Micro?