Allo USBridge board

If I’m reading the release notes correctly, 5.30 disables DSD512; i.e., if you want to retain DSD512, you have to stay at 5.20.

Yes, you are correct and I read the same. I assume there is a technical reason why they disable DSD512 and enable MQA, or is this specific to iFi?

Thanks

Must be specific to iFi, DSD512 (which I don’t actually use) is available in my system: USBridge+DietPi 6.5>SU-1>Holo Spring KTE 3.

How does the USBridge works with the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2, and does it give any increase in SQ compared to connect to computer directly?

I don’t have that specific DAC, and computers vary widely in the signal and electrical quality of the USB output. What I know from experience is that the USBridge is competitive with much more expensive specialized USB sources, which in turn have been positively compared with all but the most carefully built and tuned audio-oriented PCs. The main reason for this is that USB audio is a complicated protocol that involves a lot of digital processing at the source and destination as well as power traveling down the USB wire, and all of this can inject electrical noise into the DAC.

Hi Anthony, just wondered how you were getting on with the LKS PSU upgrade as I am weighing up the sub £100 options (with the ifi being another consideration). I’m simply looking for a direct upgrade to the Allo stock supply, plugging straight into the USBridge DC connector as I think you are doing.

Also, do you set it to 5.2V to ensure there is enough juice to power both USBridge and Sparky?

Cheers,

Simon

You can order one from Poland instead of China. I have three of them. No complaints. http://www.tomanek.net.pl/tomanek-ulps-mini-for-raspberry-pi-pi2-pi3.html

Not sure how to post a new topic. I have an Allo USBridge that works well with Roon but I cannot access the Allo GUI. When I type the IP address in several different web browsers it will not connect. When I try dietpi.local or 192.168.0.24 as suggested by Allo, no help. What am I doing wrong. My Digione board connects right away but the Sparky running Dietpi will not. The USBridge IP address shows in ausio Roon audio pannel but will not connect in my web browser. I ues a Mac but I also tried a Windows machine with no luck. Please help. Thank you.

Maybe you don’t have Allo Web GUI, just Diet Pi. Try ssh access.

@Richard_Thorpe From DietPi ssh you could try Allo Web GUi install command, see: DietPi + Allo Web GUI: Now available

Thank you Pawel unfortunatly I know nothing about SSH or Linux I am a dumb end user. I know when I type in my LAN IP address on my Digione running Ropeee I get the interface to make adjustments and upgrades. When I try thr USBridge IP address I get “cannot conect”. Cheers.

Richard

Got the new software in it but still cannot access the GUI through my web browser. The funny thing is that the Digione with Ropeee software shows up with no problem, there must be some issue with the DietPi software and the Mac/Safari/Firefox. The USBridge shows up when I scan network attached devices, I can ping it, it shows up in Roon and in the Terminal but I cannot access the Allo or the DietPi GUI’s with a browser.

What Dietpi gui? I am only aware of the allo one implemented on dietpi and they are different versions of the software so there are 2 “new” versions.

The Graphical User inteface in the DietPi software that allows you to access the Allo inteface. Its not command line its GUI. Thanks Tony

I’m about to receive a USBridge to use as a Roon endpoint. I’m trying to sort out the PSU question. I do not want to purchase a PSU whose price exceeds that of the USBridge itself. Is the iFi 5V an improvement over the supply currently included by Allo? Does the Allo dual psu offer a benefit if I’m only looking to use the 5V output?

I use the Allo supplied psu and would advise you doing the same and see what you think, plenty of time to consider possible upgrades.

Thanks @Ratbert

I’m considering picking up an iFi DAC to pair with the USBridge for use in my Roon setup with a set of active monitors. Have any of the models shown themselves to be especially well matched or especially problematic?

I use my USbridge with a Chord Hugo 2

1 Like

The Hugo 2 is more expensive than I want to spend for this particular system.

I’d like to keep the DAC below the $1,000 threshold.

I’m pondering the Bifrost Multibit and iFi Micro Black for this USBridge.

Looking for community perspective on these alternatives.

Just got a USBridge in this morning. It’s connected to a Meridian Prime.

The USBridge is powered by a 5V/3A Sbooster LPSU; the Sparky is powered separately over USB by an old iPad PSU.

Sound is great – after a few hours of listening, it compares well to the microRendu it replaced.

2 Likes