Always scanning / short music disruptions

Setup:

• Core machine: Mac mini (end 2014) 10.15.7 (Catalina), 8GB, 1TB
  • Library is located on QNAP NAS via SMB
  • 1 Roon endpoint: DAC (Cambridge Audio DacMagic) > NAD amplifier

Description Of Issue

My Roon is always scanning (blue wheel keeps spinning), I think that’s why I have some regular short audio disruptions during playback…
Not sure what to do here, here’s a screenshot when I click on the blue wheel.

Please help, I miss my Roon! Thanks!

Have you tried any troubleshooting such as rebooting everything?

Sure, tried rebooting many times but nothing has changed.

Note it has been acting like this for several months now and never really took the time to fix it.

It also crashes sometimes. It just did today for example. Clearly something is wrong either in my setup or some file is corrupt… could someone from support do a sanity check of my roon system?

It’s scanning more files than you imported … odd ?

Hi @sakurabanga,

Do you recall the exact local time of the crash?

Can you please use these instructions and send me your Roon logs as a private message (click my name -> message)?

If you have any issues locating or sending the logs just let me know.

Hi Noris,
Thanks for your help. I have sent the logs as requested, did you receive my message?
Thanks again!

1 Like

Hi @sakurabanga,

Thanks for sending the log files over and for your patience while I had a chance to review them.

Looking over the log, I do notice Roon suddenly quit, but the reason for this is not clear.

I suggest that we try to install Roon fresh to see if this helps with the issues, can you please give this a try?

• Make a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Do not restore the backup yet
  • Verify if the Roon database crashes for a day or two

HI Noris,
I reinstalled Roon 2 days ago, so far so good. I only added 1 folder, not all folders with my music. How can I find out which folder causes issues?

Also, what about my preferences (favorites, playlists, tags)? Can I restore these?

Thanks,
Thomas

1 Like

Hi @sakurabanga,

Thank you for trying the fresh database test, please do let me know if there are any issues or unexpected shutdowns.

Yes, these all live in your Roon Database and if you made the backup I specified in step 1, then these are restore-able.

Please verify if the Roon database crashes today and if it doesn’t then you can restore the backup and see if it remains stable.

Any issues, just let me know, thanks!

Hi Noris,
Thanks, so far no shutdowns.
The backup size is about 5GB, does it seem normal to you? It seems rather large to me…

1 Like

Hi @sakurabanga,

Have you been able to restore your previous database and is the system still operating as expected?

Yes, I have seen databases up to 30GB in size, but those are for quite large collections.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.