Am I just unlucky with Arc or does it run without issues for most

I really only use Arc on holidays and this is my third holiday where Arc had stopped after a few days. I keep getting the poor connection message whilst I have the following signal speeds.

Same on iPhone and iPad.

Frustrating.

.sjb

I have similar use case as I WFH mostly so don’t need it so often. I am away this week and after a while it all just locked up. Seemed to be server side as I couldn’t fix it phone side.
I logged in to my home via TeamViewer and restarted the core. Service resumed.
I used Tidal in the meantime.
Just adding as another anecdotal data point. I can’t really raise anything as not home to grab logs etc.

1 Like

Poor Connection is not always the case, but did you verify your port on Roon ARC to be open, and what port do you have open for Roon ARC?

Hard to do that from the other side of the country :smile:

All was working when I left, as it was for the other holidays, is all I can attest to.

.sjb

I wonder if your core has updated or phones Arc app has. If this is the case I think you would need to re-sync on the same Wi-Fi network for it to work again.

I could be completely wrong, but I have had similar happened to me. Quick re-sync on my Wi-Fi network resolved it

You mean you don’t have remote access to your entire network from anywhere. I guess Im a tech nerd :slight_smile:

That isn’t helpful in this case for @Sloop_John_B

That’s what happened to me but I am on early access, Roon updated and changed the port from 55000 to 55002 and broke Roon ARC. Once I changed the port back to 55000 it worked again.

It’s hit or miss to me to the point that I don’t use it anymore. I use Apple Music on the go. The lack of bookmark support makes it pretty useless as far as I’m concerned.

Let’s be honest there should have never been a Roon Arc app it’s not what we wanted. What we need is for Roon to have ARC functionality. There is absolutely no reason why this was done in this way, half the time Im battling on how to use both apps as they have lots of differences. I don’t want or need two apps for the same library. I hope ARC is killed and Roon gets the proper treatment for remote access. This is one of the reasons I maintain a Plexamp library. I think it’s time for Roon to give-up on the .Net framework and support native apps for every platform.

2 Likes

For me, Arc usually works fine, as I mostly use it while commuting.
But earlier this month, I enjoyed my first holiday with Arc. Well, I enjoyed my holiday, but not Arc. After a few days, Arc lost connection with my core. Luckily, I still could play my downloaded files.
When I returned home, my core seemed to ‘hang’ on a software update. Usually, my updates go without problems, but there appeared to be two updates in the days I was away. Maybe this caused the core to freeze and drop connection.
My conclusion: I don’t trust Arc for more than three consecutive days.

Roon and ARC work fine here, as long as my Core doesn’t consume all the RAM in my Linux laptop.
Which happens every few days. Then a reboot of the laptop will temporarily fix the issue.

I’m far less amused by the amount of power that ARC drains from my iPhones battery. Qobuz, Tidal, Deezer and Apple Music’s own apps make the battery last nearly twice as long compared to ARC.

You could consider (although not supported by Roon) a VPN. This allows use of Roon Remote and the device you’re using as the endpoint. I had great success with PiVPN & Wireguard on my Ubuntu Server running at the same time as Roon Server for Linux, PiHole and a few other services. My core coped well and you don’t technically need to run the additional services on the core, they can be on a RPi.

Like a numpty I had tweaked a few things on my network and inadvertently missed off a 0 in my port forwarding rule which stopped Arc working.

Arc in my use case is almost flawless.

For many their ISPs are CG-Nat and don’t allow Arc to work. Roon are working on this.

For others, like me yesterday and today, is human error.

Roon Arc as a separate app as opposed to the VPN solution means you don’t accidentally select the wrong endpoint, blast the volume to full because you can’t hear anything. Happened to me and my wife was not amused at 04:30 with heavy metal blasting out in our bedroom. Ooops

Yeah thought about it just to see if I can achieve it, Latency might be an issue and or reliable hardware playback. I also have a slow upload at the moment so that won’t do good. I have a remote server with plexamp.

1 Like

Okay, so I’m home now (after a great holiday in Connemara - thanks for asking :grinning:) and Roon tells me all is okay with Arc

Except it’s not, even on my home network. This is the iPhone which I reset Roon on. It finds the core but cannot get connected.

The iPad which I didn’t reset as it had all my downloaded music just keep giving the poor connection

There has been no update since I’ve been away and I have roon set to ask rather than automatically update anyway.

Now my next step will be to restart my roon core but is anyone in support interested in logs etc or is this a known issue? (@noris @benjamin)

.sjb

It seems as if Roon itself is actually not working as I cannot play music so I am going to have to restart the server and presumably this was the issue with Arc.

If only there was some way to restart the Roon core ROCK machine remotely.

.sjb

Hi @Sloop_John_B,

Have things improved with ARC for you, given your post here? Tips or steps to take to ensure Arc works for my upcoming holiday? - #22 by Sloop_John_B

Indeed, I had a most pleasant and bug free time with Roon Arc on my latest holiday, so :crossed_fingers:

.sjb

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.