Am I missing something? Where is the supposed album info Roon promises?

It seems you’ve had this issue twice in a short amount of time and that is unusual.

So the control device you’re using is a fairly current IPAD. Can you specify the model and software version of the IPAD? I’m just curious.

I use an IPAD myself, got a new one for Christmas, and I’ve had a couple of issues but nothing that had the symptoms you mentioned.

I also use my windows pc for control and have never had any issues with it. You might consider installing Roon Remote on your Surface machine. Then if this problem should come up again you could try the other control device and see if it will take over. Or just use it for a while to see if the issue occurs there.

Hi TheraP welcome to the forum!

I suggest you rip just a couple of CDs for troubleshooting purposes. A lot of times Roon will have different problems depending on whether it is playing your local digitized media or something that streams from the Internet. So we can help you better if you have some local media as a test subject.

@TheraP. I just dropped Tidal and join Quobuz. I don’t want to give my money to Jay Z anymore. Besides I just realized the $150 per year was the same amount I was paying for Premium Tidal with my military discount.

What do you have against Jay Z?

@TheraP

We suffer from localized blackouts , Johannesburg,when the power comes back there are often funnies where external services start up slowly, we woke up today at 04:00 with no power :roll_eyes:

Your issue may have been a power blip

I start my Modem and Router wait until evertything has settled , ie Internet light is good on the Router

Only then do I start the Core, Nucleus in your case

Mostly this gives an orderly start to Roon with Tidal connected

It’s an IT addage if in doubt switch it off and switch it on again

1 Like

@TheraP,

I’m not a Luddite by most measures–I have degrees in physics and electrical engineering–but share with you a passion for all kinds of classical music. I’m having a hard time understanding how you are not seeing this information. If anything I’ve suffered from too much (TMI).

One example I remember clearly was a recording of Brahms’ violin concerto with Heifetz and Reiner that I had downloaded from HDTracks. There are at least two types of fans of this recording I’m familiar with: violinists and violin fans who worship the ground Jascha Heifetz walked on; and audiophiles like the late Harry Pearson who worshiped the ground Lewis Layton and Richard Mohr (who produced and engineered this and many other of Reiner’s recordings) walked on. But the reviewer Roon scraped wasn’t having any of it. Terrible recording, worst on record. I saw little point in downloading reviews panning recordings I’ve already decided to purchase (made interesting reading though). Apparently other Roon users felt the same way because I think most of the bad reviews have disappeared.

In general I find that if Roon correctly identifies a recording (but that’s a big if) it scrapes all kinds of information including recording date, biographies of composers and performers and information about the music far beyond typical liner notes. I recently ripped a copy of Miles Davis’ “Kind of Blue” and found out all kinds of things I never knew (not that surprising as I’m not nearly as studied in Jazz as in classical). Great incentive for me to bang my head against the wall and do the ripping.

I think you will find, as a classical music fan, the process of ripping to be frustrating. The “metadata”–information scraped from various databases on the Internet–for classical music is Godawful in many cases. The “artist” for example may be filled by “Bach” or “Johann Sebastian Bach” or “Glenn Gould”. The “composer” field may or may not be filled at all. The tagging system is a Procrustean Bed designed for the “album, artist, song” classification of pop music. If you’re going to get Roon to recognize your recordings you will find, in many cases, the tags have to be edited. So if you’re looking to have a large digital classical music library you can just play while you look at the virtual album cover you may be in for some rough sledding. Sometimes I, non-Luddite that I am, just throw up my hands in frustration and pull out a CD or LP.

An example is the magnificent new recording of Bach’s Well-Tempered Clavier by harpsichordist Rebecca Pechefsky on Quill recordings. Not identified on any database, and Roon makes a total mess of it. If I want it to be read properly every prelude and fugue’s tag is going to have to be edited, which I may get around to someday (I do find JRiver Media Center to be the best for batch tag editing). In the mean time, the thread here regarding what to do with your CD’s now that you have no further use for them gets no traffic from me.

I agree in JRiver, I keep my big classical sets in JRiver (only) where I can notate and hence navigate, if I can split off a disc that Roon can recognize I do so. Far from ideal.

I use Roon for meandering JRiver for listening where I have of control of metadata, however manual that may be

:cowboy_hat_face:

Is that Book 1 or 2 or both? 1 from 2009 and 2 from 2017. You did mention new so I’m guessing its book 2.

To circle back to the original topic: I respect and appreciate Roon and its obviously dedicated Support staff, but I gotta recognize that very often there is no metadata with an album or for an artist. Maybe or maybe not a solvable problem, but I do kind of like to read the metadata.

As for Tidal and Qobuz, having subscribed to Tidal for years, I tried the free trial on Qobuz, bailed, and then signed up when they went to $15/mo. What I do is, when viewing an album using Roon, I just click the Versions button and see which service has a better version of the recording, if there is a choice. (This is a good way to ruin a good listening evening, with beginning to compare a recording, say MQA with 24/96 or 24/192 and going back and forth trying to decide which version sounds better.)

And I cannot resist thanking everyone for this thread which has proven enjoyable to read. As long as it is, it didn’t go south hardly at all, but was filled with the delightful OP’s queries and a lot of good people trying to help.

By the way, TheraP, I used to actively dislike jazz, but then somehow started to listen a little on Tidal through Roon, and now it’s the majority of what I listen to. So maybe it’s not a closed issue for you. Hearing some of your music preferences, if you like Early Music you must listen to Christina Pluhar and L’Apreggiata. Also, for oud music, Anouar Brahem (hauntingly beautiful stuff), and for an elegant introduction to a sort of European type classical/jazz crossover, try French pianist Francois Couturier.

And, o yes, it was refreshing for me to read an OP who just may be even less knowledgeable than I am (even if she’s catching up fast)! :slightly_smiling_face:
Jim Heckman

Thinking back to the vinyl days, not all albums had ooodles of data… Some had amazing art work and great bi fold sleeves with lyrics in the inner sleeve etc, you all know the ones.
Other albums had Nada, Nothing, just a dull un inspired cover pic and search all you like, all you could find was where the cover was printed.
Not much has changed in the digital world.

2 Likes

Thank you for posting. You are not alone. What you describe is the huge credibility gap between the Roon pledge to enhance the digital music listening experience with, in reality, little beyond boring computer style lists of files. Some vinyl album covers are works of art and coupled with detailed cover and sleeve notes enhance the user experience. CD covers less so. Roon, despite promises, even less so. It’s at the bottom of the pile.

Surely Roon, (together with streaming partners and/or label owners) are developing a more attractive compelling experience? Perhaps even the community could assist to curate a WikiPedia model improvement.

That sort of standards approach encouraging interoperability is common in the physical layer of the music reproduction chain. Just the same as many other industries with long value chains. But across the industry it seems to be absent in the application layer where meta-data is being handled. I hope I am wrong. Maybe there are industry initiatives happening in the background.

I haven’t read the last 50 posts to see if others have commented, so if I’m duplicating information, I apologize.

I was surprised by some of Qobuz’ lack of available titles in the US during their beta, titles that were available in Europe and the UK. Some of them were favorite albums of mine. Thankfully, only a few titles that I really wanted were missing.

That changed, I think, when the beta ended. All of the titles I was interested in, from CHVRCHES to Motley Crue to Porcupine Tree, suddenly became available for purchase and for streaming. And the non-proprietary, non-MQA, Hi-Res FLAC format that was Qobuz’ advantage from the start convinced me that TIDAL was out and Qobuz was in.

Full speed ahead with Qobuz, IMO.

Hate to post just a metoo comment but I do so agree with all you have written. I’d like more individual track info too where it exists. Good luck!

I think a lot has changed in the digital world, as you now have the internet and can search for any information that is missing in Roon (or on the album cover :wink:) and you would always find something of interest. I think it is impossible for Roon to integrate everything the internet has to offer. However, I would love to know that they are working to integrate some of the big content providers, like music magazines - imagine having the Downbeat or Grampphone reviews available in Roon?

But until then I would be very happy for some integrated internet search capability. Something very simple - highlight the item I want to search, then let me initiate a google search from within Roon. It would only save a couple of seconds of typing in google, but it would be a great enhancement in terms of user experience.

1 Like

I should have said, Nothing has changed with regard to the universality of quality meta data… :joy:
The whole world has changed digitally.

I totally agree Ralph. It is the reason why I ended my Roon subscription. I am using Audirvana now and get exactly the same album and artist information Roon is providing. So the premium information Roon says it offers, is in fact not there…at all. It’s all just standard material, exactly the same as what you get to see without a paid “meta data service”.

1 Like

Look at the “showing-off-your-roon-setup-description-and-photos” thread. More often than not there’s a predominant screen on a wall - just waiting to display the Roon promised rich visual experience. We have handheld devices, laptops, desktop PCs, Chromecast, Apple TV et al. All of that screen estate just waiting to be exploited. To be honest the paucity of metadata defence isn’t a justification in my view.

That s something I often wonder about, it is always said that part of the high price we pay Roon is for the Metadata providers, yet Musicbrainz and Discogs which they use is free, only Allmusic cost something - but the free Plex software also uses that info and do not charge for it. So it really cannot be that expensive.
The big selling point on the Roon website is this incredible info experience, but it is definitely lacking. Also if they use the same sources the others use, what makes it special in that respect? I just had a support issue about albums not being found in Roon for library material, which was in Roon via Qobuz. The answer was, it is the metadata providers who have not provided info. So why not do something about it? If the streaming services which charge the same amount for the metadata including the actual music can do it, why not Roon? It is supposed to be Roons big trick.

2 Likes

I think it is more than just the credits and album reviews. Lyrics cost. Same with MQA, Roon’s ability to unfold MQA is not free, I am sure there is a licensing fee that is not being passed on to us.