AMA w/ Jesse @ TIDAL, CEO says hi-res FLAC on HiFi Plus is coming, open API, etc

https://www.reddit.com/r/TIdaL/comments/12hr68f/ama_w_jesse_tidal/

As a longtime Roon/TIDAL subscriber, this is the biggest news since, well since I can’t remember when. Hopefully we can all be respectful of the impact this will no doubt have on the many folks who invested time, energy and resources into supporting MQA. This will undoubtedly have a major impact on the livelihoods of many who saw MQA as the future of hi-res streaming. So, please let’s be respectful AND rejoice for open-standards!

Direct from TIDAL CEO…. Hi-res lossless if coming…

TIDAL has cared about high quality and even experimental audio formats long before it was cool or common among music streamers. Why? Because artists take care when making their art and they want/hope to present their work in the best light (whatever they think that is exactly). We also live in a world that is mobile-dominated and mobile phones have constraints in memory, data plans, coverage maps - so there’s always a consideration for the customer’s need between more quality and more bandwidth/storage efficiency.

Breaking news for my reddit peeps: we will be introducing hi-res FLAC for our HiFi Plus subscribers soon. It’s lossless and an open standard. It’s a big file, but we’ll give you controls to dial this up and down based on what’s going on.

9 Likes

Breaking news for my reddit peeps: we [Tidal] will be introducing hi-res FLAC for our HiFi Plus subscribers soon.

6 Likes

I am not using Tidal.

Is the big news that:

“… we will be introducing hi-res FLAC for our HiFi Plus subscribers soon. It’s lossless and an open standard. It’s a big file, but we’ll give you controls to dial this up and down based on what’s going on.”

Torben

1 Like

Yes.

There are obviously no further details at this point, including whether they’re adding FLAC, or replacing MQA with FLAC.

That they seem to have thought it out (the selectable quality thing) does lead to interpreting there could be hints that this has been planned for a while.

2 Likes

Great news for everyone with ultrasonic hearing. Unfortunately I’m not one of them, but I sure hope the 4-letter acronym will completely replace the 3-letter one.

9 Likes

I wonder what they will do for non high-res. CD quality files?

That sounds like an improvement for everyone’s sanity over various 4 letter words replacing a 3 letter acronym :wink:

2 Likes

Great news for the bat subscribers. As I cannot complain about Redbook, this for the paranoids maybe. Still would like to meet one who could tell hi-res from standard res in a proper blind test with 98+ % precision :wink:

1 Like

I cannot but Heimdall the norse god can hear the grass growing, so we need the gear :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Once I’ve become a Norse god, I’ll think about it. Oh, wait! Am I already a… No, apparently not.

1 Like

Tidal has announced they will soon introduce hi-res FLAC. Any thoughts on this?
Will Roon need to make any changes to accommodate?

1 Like

They do support high-res FLACs both locally and from Qobuz, so probably no changes are needed…

2 Likes

Only that Tidal’s highest res tier prior to MQA was CD resolution so that might be what they default back to. I think people are making assumptions that it will be higher than CD resolution.

Why would they need to make any changes. Roon already streams FLAC from Tidal.

3 Likes

If Tidal streams are already FLAC, then I guess the difference would be in the resolution.

My guess would be:

Tidal HIFI FLAC 16 bit / 44.1 kHz
Tidal HiFi + FLAC 24 bit / 192 kHz max

5 Likes

Tidal is FLAC already. But they have MQA containered in. It depends on your sub if the MQA part gets unfolded or not.

At least that is my understanding of the whole thing.

1 Like

I, for one, am hoping that Tidal do not dump MQA and that a way forward is found for that format. I’m a fan of hi-res and particularly MQA.

Firstly, I’ve always liked the sound quality.

Secondly, it’s a great way to stream hi-res content without using so much bandwidth.

The second is more important than most acknowledge, not just from a mobile speed point of view, but because bandwidth means energy.

The planet is in deep do-do, we have an energy crisis, and anything which intelligently mitigates any of this, is very much needed.

I’ve been a Tidal and MQA user for many years now and if MQA were lost from that service I wouldn’t necessarily stay - I’d immediately look at alternative providers these days.

Need to think long and hard before pulling the plug on that one, with so many users heavily invested in the format, including in hardware.

It is, I believe, the main repository of MQA content, so this is a big thing for its fans and user base…

10 Likes

Might not be so simple. If the library copy chosen was the MQA version, what happens when that file is deleted?

Many of us would lose at least three quarters of our carefully curated MQA-favoured library this way if it wasn’t managed somehow by Tidal/Roon…

When you stream MQA, you are streaming a FLAC file. Flac as a container format can hold high res PCM or MQA. The streaming of which is the same. What changes is the post streaming processing. So, the change of FLAC contents would make no difference to the Tidal infrastructure in terms of streaming.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s my understanding too. MQA is PCM, so FLAC can carry it transparently. The way I read the announcement, they’re planning to stream actual - i.e. non-MQA - hi-res FLAC.

I absolutely agree with the need to rationalize resources, but to me, the best way to reduce bandwidth is to stream red book. Hi-res is the unnecessary part, so anything that tries to address hi-res issues is also unnecessary. I don’t think that will happen though, as they want to compete with other services that already offer hi-res. As far as I’m concerned, I’m doing my part and stream (and buy) only red book.

8 Likes