Amanero USB NativeDSD / DSD512 upsampling with NUC ROCK

Dear Reader, if you don’t know what is “Amanero” or “DSD” or “NativeDSD” and why would anyone need that with “DSD upsampling” on top - this memo would not serve you any good.

If you are still reading… My story starts with one peculiar product “Audio-GD D-77”: ºÍ志­µ响

“D-77” is one of many devices out there that employs “Amanero USB” interface, “Combo384 USB” to be precise: “https://amanero.com/” Out of the box all these Amaneros are fully functional devices, in my case “D-77” was immediately recognized by latest Win10, Linux Mint and, pleasantly, ROCK. But this comes with caveat - “out of the box” they can only do “DoP” with either DSD64 or DSD128 (PCM seems no issue). It turns out that getting it to “NativeDSD” one need to update the “Amanero” firmware. And there’s no coherent information on how to do it !!!

I suppose the update process may change with time, but here’s my “snapshot” as of July 2021. As I said the whole point of exercise is to bring the DAC to NativeDSD / DSD512 device that would be well recognized by ROCK for DSD upsampling.

• Process starts with Amanero’s how-to: https://www.amanero.com/howto.htm

• First challenge is to figure out how the Amanero flash can be erased on your particular device possibly without the need of going inside and putting a jumper onto Amanero circuit board. I will leave this creative part to you. In my case with “D-77” it was a “flash” button on the back of the device. Here’s another very good similar thread about T+A DAC8, they employ reset on the level of settings: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/question-re-dsd-upsampling-with-roon-nucleus-and-dac8/117007/4

• Secondly the “update tool” - you need to figure out what patch you actually need. I have no clue about all the possible applications. My short summary is blunt. To get Amanero recognized as NativeDSD in ROCK you need this - “CPLD_1081 or CPLD_1081_SWAPPEDSD” (native DSD512 on Linux/Windows) “firmware_2006be11” oem tool 117 “Async DAC”: https://amanero.com/oemtool117u.zip
    (hey, what if I’m wrong? well at least for D-77 or DAC8 and generally speaking for Amanero with Linux this is the case…)

At this point:

• you have short “how to” instruction
  • you have an “Update tool”
  • you know how to erase the flash on your device
  • you need a Windows PC stably connected to Internet with all the latest patches and updates on it.
  1. You start with connecting the device to your PC. Give it some time to have device fully recognized by the Windows. You may test by trying to play something through it.
  2. “Erase the flash” - notice that this process is done with switched-on and USB connected device (certainly). When flash is erased - unplug the USB cable (do not switch off the device, unless instructed by the maker). Important - let Windows fully recognize the fact that device has disappeared! Takes about 10-15 seconds normally.
  3. Reconnect USB cable and let the Windows fully recognize the fact that something has been connected again. Took me about 10-15 seconds. Here comes first issue: on my “old” PC reconnected device was not recognized by Windows 10, and the promised driver did not help. Luckily I had another PC. And what if you got stuck on N.3 - I actually don’t know. Probably write to Amanero or read million forums…
  4. Assuming you are through with N.3 - check the internet and run the ConfigTool.exe. You will see unexpectedly demanding screen with only one question in mind - now what???

1. First the program asks about OEMID. I did not have one, so I type in “combo384”
  2. It turns out the reprogramming process is two steps…
  3. Step 1. In “CPLD Firmware Selection” in drop down list choose “CPLD_1081” or “CPLD_1081_SWAPPEDSD”**. Click - “Flash CPLD”. If all is correct you will see some type of log and green progress bar at the bottom. The process takes about 5 minutes. During the process is stops uncomfortably couple of times. You may get an error message after clicking on “Flash CPLD” asking you to erase the flash. My understanding - either you did not properly erased it, or there’s a driver/connection issue to your device. So when I got this in my case, I “re-erased” the flash, and it worked.
  4. Step 2. When CPLD update is finished, you go to “CPU Firmware Selection”, you need to find and select “firmware_2006be11” from the list. Click “Flash CPU” button. You will see similar type of log as in 6.1. and similar situation with green status bar. It took me about 3 minutes, seemed a little faster than 6.1.
  5. When it is finished close the “ConfigTool”
  6. Unplug the USB. And again, please let Windows to fully understand that something been unplugged. Plug USB cable back again if you want. At this point I was connecting device to NUC ROCK.

** I have at first chosen “CPLD_1081”. After all steps has been completed and I tested the device in Roon and realized the right and left channels were swapped. So, I had to restart all over again by erasing the flash and selecting “CPLD_1081_SWAPPEDSD” in 7.)

As the result of the above process, in case all has worked correctly for you, you should be able to chose “Native” in “DSD playback strategy” in Audio Settings for your device.

And you will be able to set “Up to DSD512” in your “Max Sample rate (DSD)”.

Next stop would be DSP → “Sample Rate Conversion”. You may want to chose “DSD” in output sample rate and pick DSD512. (Note, according to my findings on the net, some people report artefacts and clicks and misbehaving DAC’s, sorry if this is the case for you. In my combination of “NUC (ROCK) → USB → D-77” it works perfectly so far)

Note: this NativeDSD thing drains processing power drastically, but it does the job at 1.8x or 2.1x. That is what matters…

PS: Ah, and what about the sound after all of this? Two things are immediately obvious, sound stage get’s more volume, and feels richer comparing to PCM playback, ok, this is subjective… (I have different PCM 24/192 DAC connected to ROCK, so could immediately compare) Second thing is wider dynamism, I think this has been also commented by some of ROON’s gurus as a fact, the music has more life in it. Listening to vocals from someone like Patty Smith, P.J. Harvey or Nina Simone, you hear the difference compared to simple PCM immediately.

Comments / Corrections are more than welcome !

All the best,
i

7 Likes

I don’t know what I just read but I hope one day to be this deep into the hobby. Dear me, where to find the time.

3 Likes

Dear Igor, thank you very much. It’s very interesting (but difficult))). I bought Audio-GD D-77 and testing now a few days (notebook-usb-DAC-analog- amplifier-speakers). I will think about to buy Nuc (for roon rock). Now I have got notebook Win 7 (Roon core) & amonero drivers (but 2 ASIO drivers & WAsapi). Its working good (I switch on “dsd native”))) Sometimes playback is interrupt (I hope all will be good for Intel NUC))without hard update) May be I will write you later for help. What is processor & RAM&SSD your NUC PC? Best regards from Moscow RF;)

1 Like

Hello Gennady, glad you find this helpful.

Brand new D-77 would need some time for « break-in », recommended is about 300h, for me it started to shine after about 100h…

I can not comment on Win 7 drivers. For Windows testing I used Win 10 laptop with Foobar2000 player, it did all the necessary tricks with NativeDSD and upsampling to DSD512. Win10 with all default MS updates did not need special drivers in my case. As for ASIO vs WASAPI, imho, you need to hear whats best. I have negative and positive experience with both, I think all depends on a driver and how it is compatible with you Win version at current state of updates…

My congratulations, you mention - you can turn native DSD!!! You succeeded with Amanero patch! Yeah!

But you mention playback interruption… What are your processing speeds ? (you can see it in Signal Path) If your processing speed way low, try upsample to DSD256, this gives more breathing space for CPU. And put ´Parallelize Sigma-Delta modulator’ - ON

I run ROCK on ´PrimeMini 5 i7´ NUC. Here is detailed description (look for i7 specs): https://primecomputer.co/products/primemini-5/

In my customization I have SSD Samsung Evo 250 GB and 2x8 GB RAM, for ROCK is more than enough normally + i have installed 8TB SSD for library. now I have a monster!!! :slight_smile:

i.

2 Likes

Thank you very much

Good day. Summer 2023 :wink:

I repeat all steps for my DAC AUDIO GD D-77, from USB ROCK. It’s all right, and I changed channel right-left. Drivers are OK.

Instruction are very good. DSD files play very good. Thanks :+1:

1 Like