Amazon Fire HD 8" As Remote

After all this ive been sold a gen 1 ipad mini.The eBay seller clearly stated it was a 2
On the back A1432.

Should i just buy a new HD 8 or try another iPad mini ?

Try this for the Amazon Fire 8 inch. It worked for me on two tablets. This is a copy of a post I made elsewhere.

I recently purchased the latest Fire HD 8-inch model, released in October 2018. It is running Android 7.1.2. There is no need to resort to the DPI fix through a computer connection to get Roon running in landscape mode. The same thing can be achieved in the tablet settings.

Make sure developer mode is activated (Google how to do this). Then:

Settings

Device options

Developer options

Smallest width (under “drawing”)

While holding the tablet in portrait mode change the width settings. This will change the DPI. The changes can be confirmed with one of the many Android programs that verify your screen’s DPI.

The following “smallest width” settings all worked for me. Please note that after you enter them, the tablet may auto-adjust them slightly.

670 (tablet stays at 670) = DPI 191

650 (tablet adjusts it to 653) = DPI 196

648 (tablet adjusts to 649) = DPI 191

Roon automatically opens in landscape mode with any of these settings. I have no idea whether this will work on earlier versions of the Fire HD 8-inch tablet.

You can use guided access mode - this has the effect of temporarily turning the iPad into a single app device.

HD8, 8th Gen prefers 653 best…

Hi guys… Happy Thanksgiving. I am about to pick up a Fire HD 8 on sale but was wondering if the screen resolution looks good to use as a Roon remote? I am concerned with the resolution of only 1280 x 800 Roon remote wont look very crisp and everything will be too large. I am currently using a DELL Venue 8 that has a screen resolution of 2650x1600 that is very nice. Thank you.

If you didn’t see… 8+the dock is $79 today. Hard to beat.

EXACTLY! Plus with my tradein I get another 25% off. Just want to make sure the screen resolution is good enough for Roon.

got mine today. looks great!

10 would be nice, but a little obtrusive on the living room table.

and $80 vs $150 that’s a month’s worth of new vinyl :slight_smile:

not the best pic, but I have a turkey cooking lol

Sweet! Mine arrives today as well. What width (DPI) setting did you use?

I set “smallest width” to 670. At 650 I only get one row on album views.

After you changed the smallest width do you see a bunch of red lines all over the screen when not using Room Remote app?

EDIT…sorry I inadvertently enabled an option that showed the drawing boundaries.

Looks Great!
Can you access DSP settings on the HD 8"?
Can you post an photo of the DSP screen?

Liking the Coverdale and Page album!

1 Like

If you don’t like the Amazon skin, you can change the launcher to an Android one. Instructions are here https://teleread.org/2018/07/07/how-to-install-a-new-launcher-on-amazons-fire-tablet/

Hi Everyone - now that Roon has an official Amazon AppStore app, just curious if anyone has reset the suggested display settings for Fire HD 8 tablet in this thread and the advantages of doing so if worth it? Thanks.

As of the last release, an out-of-the-box Fire HD 8 should be able to run the Roon app in full-screen landscape without any developer settings. It may complain at first launch that it needs to be maximized/full-screen, but once you’ve done that, the app should remember that setting and just do the right thing.

1 Like

Hmmm. I downloaded the APK of 416 and installed it. Do I need to go through the Amazon Appstore instead? Will the APK version also remember full-screen?

The manually downloaded APK and the one available through the Amazon store should be identical. I don’t know if you’ll get automatic updates if you sideloaded it vs. installed through the Amazon store (I suspect not), but functionality should be identical.

1 Like

When I download from the store it tells me that I don’t have a device that supports the app and effectively deletes the download.

I have checked and the IP on the tablet and my Roon Rock are on the same network.

Any thoughts please?