An easy way to switch any zone to mono playback from a Roon Remote

It would nice (for example, when listening to 50s jazz albums on Qobuz), to switch them to mono from Roon. (It’s frustrating to be unable to easily find “Somethin’ Else” or “Sunday at the Village Vanguard,” on mono.)

Hi Michael

To clarify, do you want to play a stereo album in mono or for Roon to automatically find a mono version and play that?

Thanks for the reply. Probably both!

I was thinking of the former (effectively a “switch,” similar to the stereo/mono switches found on some phono stages), that would allow users to toggle between stereo and mono in a particular zone. This is useful for early stereo recordings (like jazz albums from the 50s, some Beatles, Hendrix, etc.) that were originally recorded in mono but remixed to Stereo, often with exaggerated channel separation; e.g. sax solo coming out of one channel, vocals coming out of the other channel, etc., producing an unnatural soundstage.

Having said that, I really like the idea of having Roon automatically finding a mono copy, from Tidal or Qobuz (for example). That would be an elegant feature that takes advantage of Roon’s unique capabilities.

You may already know this but it is possible to set up a DSP preset with a mix for mono
This then gives an option to select it for when you want mono. You would want to save a preset as things are currently and then you can toggle between the two.

Followed by…

1 Like

I wasn’t aware of this. I’ll give it a try; it looks like it will resolve the issue. Thanks!