Analogue active speakers + native DSD DACs for use with HQPlayer

Continuing on over here @erekola

1 Like

Genelec sounds good, but how can I connect a subwoofer to them?

If you get a Genelec subwoofer just connect the sub to the pre/dac and the main monitors to the sub
The same with Neumann speakers
Anyway many subs have analog output (xlr/rca) to connect the main monitors

So I would have to replace the Klipsch R-121SW as well? Is there an alternative where I could connect the subwoofer to the speakers?

It has line in only therefore you could connect to the pre sub out or second xlr/rca output (if any)

I use ATC 20 A Pro speakers which are active with HQP DSD256 output (XLR connection).
I put a DSP correction in HQP pipeline (convolution carried out with Focus Fidelity).
This works very well, no pass through PCM because the DSP is processed at the HQP level.
Afterwards with a DSP internal to the speakers, I don’t know if there is any possibility of bypassing this DSP in order to avoid the PCM conversion?

Well your ATC’s have analogue active crossover, not DSP crossover.

So you are doing everything well, in the same way I suggested to @erekola with Genelecs.

Is your question referring to your ATC or a different speaker?

For a future DSP speaker you will run into same issue I have discussed already with DSP crossover speakers

Do you mean I could connect the Cyan XLR to the Genelec RCA to the subwoofer?

If you’ll get Genelec speakers and Genelec sub (the same applies to Neumann) just connect the sub to the Cyan and the main monitors to the sub (it has stereo output)
Cyan → subwoofer/s → main monitors

to use the Klipsch sub you should connect it to rca outputs of the Cyan and the monitors to the xlr outputs … if both xlr and rca outputs can work at the same time

yes, I know for my ATCs they are analogue active crossover.
I was wondering if there were brands/models of active speakers that have DSP crossover that can be bypassed.

As I wrote, in order to bypass DSP crossover, there would need to then be an analogue active crossover in the speaker.

Too expensive to have both, I’ve never seen such as speaker.

Maybe one exists somewhere but definitely not the best regarded active speakers.

Its much easier to see with pictures.

Balanced input = comes from Cyan 2
Balanced output = goes to active speakers

Can I buy Genelec DSP subwoofer?

You can but then you might as well get the DSP speakers - or stick with current DSP speakers.

Think of DSP sub as DSP speaker also.

The sub I show above is analogue. Ideally you have 2 of them.

Here they are

Of course there are DSP subs.

This wouldn’t make sense given the context of this entire discussion.

Just corrected …

Adding a DSP sub with Cyan2 would defeat the entire purpose of this discussion…

Because guess what the crossover would be…

Better stick with Klipsch system.

1 Like

Does anyone know if Cyans xlr and rca outputs work same time?

Genelec G Four and 7040A ok?