Analogue active speakers + native DSD DACs for use with HQPlayer

Yes G Four has both XLR and RCA input

As I wrote above for connects to the sub:

Balanced input = from Cyan 2
Balanced output = to active speakers

Note your Klipsch are excellent speakers

Have a careful think if you really want to change all just because of Cyan2 and DSD - theres always headphones :slight_smile:

I should stop asking people what their DSD DACs are connected to :smile:

1 Like

I personally donā€™t mind if <250 Hz goes through ADC, DSP and such in a subwoofer. As long as mains donā€™tā€¦

If you feed Cyan2 into a DSP sub, then everything goes through ADC. Everything becomes 48k/96k PCM.

I donā€™t think you can tell a DSP sub to just convert < X Hz to digital but leave > X as analogue ?

Only way with Cyan2 would be send RCA to sub and XLR to active speakers (or vice versa) but that can be suboptimal in other ways.

No, you feed Cyan 2 to your preamp/integrated, and then take itā€™s subwoofer (or pre-out) to the subwoofer. And main speakers donā€™t go through the sub. You should never feed main channels through the subwoofer.

Then adjust subwoofer cross-over so that it matches natural roll-off of the mains. Iā€™ve enhanced this by using foam plugs to the mains so they become sealed response. And then the sub cross-over is adjusted based on that. Mains donā€™t have any electronic high-pass cross-over at all, it is all acoustic.

Just donā€™t feed your main channels through the sub at all. You should never do that anyway. So the sub is set up in ā€œLFEā€ configuration.

XLR to the pre/integrated, and then speakers from the main output and sub from the sub output or secondary pre-output.

He doesnā€™t have a pre/integrated in this discussion :smile:

This is no different to what I wrote above, feed XLR to actives and RCA to sub

@erekola you would need to use HQP digital volume control

Or add one of the Holo preamps. Or upgrade your Cyan2 to a Spring3 with preamp module lol

You might be better sticking with your Klipsch and use Cyan2 with headphones. Thatā€™s where you will hear the real magic !

With speakers I prefer my multichannel with all crossovers including to subs done properly in DSP . You cant do this with any DSD Direct DAC

Can I buy this Tangent PreAmp II 2.1 Esivahvistin XLR & Bluetooth - Radiokulma and buy Genelec G Four and keep anti-mode and sub?

I bought that and Genelec!

Hmmh, but no balanced analog input on that.

There are better options such as Schiit Jotunheim and Schiit Kara.

But there is no lfe?

Anti-mode can take stereo in and output mono:

If your preamp has mixing for sub output, you can use just one of the inputs.

Yes thats why I ordered that Tangetā€¦

Now I understand what you mean :sweat_smile:

Not at all strange. I consider it more strange to do what you are doing, higher electricity consumption to generate DSD512, for it to end up as PCM48kHz with crappy ADC filters (crappy in comparison to HQP).

Shouting ā€˜studio gradeā€™ doesnā€™t mean much - but since you did, my active KEF LS50 W2 have significantly better vertical dispersion performance than those 3 ā€˜studio gradeā€™ monitors you listedā€¦ Not sure if you are aware but pretty important to have good dispersion in all directions when you are nearfieldā€¦

and with great integration with subwoofer via Acourate DSP, all convolution managed by HQP at PCM96kHz = :ok_hand:

DSD256 with my Holo Cyan2 with my headphones. It would be ā€˜strangeā€™ to feed that into my KEF analogue input :smile:

Just my opinion though, I donā€™t have any qualification / expertise (about anything)

Do what sounds best to you

Do you really think analogue cross over fed by HQP is better than DSP cross over fed with 96/24 from HQP?
For example all higher tier monitors from Genelec are now with DSP cross over, so they obviously think that the DSP cross over has an overall better sonic performance as an analogue cross over otherwise they would stick to analogue, right?

2 of the 3 monitors he listed have DSP crossovers already. So as I mentioned, the output of his DACs will need to be converted to digital PCM48/96kHz with leaky A to D filters, then D to A with leaky filters again. But he knows best, since he uses the term ā€˜studio gradeā€™ :grinning:

At least feeding them at the PCM rate the DSP operates at will have a high quality filter for the most audible regionā€¦

Only the Mackie has analogue active XO, so good to feed it from his DSD DAC.

My reply was not with respect to his monitors but a remark in general as your posts sounds a bit as in genral analogue cross over + HQP is better than DSP cross over.

No this is not at all what I said.

As I noted in my last post, it depends on what is inside the speakerā€¦ you cannot generalise and thatā€™s exactly why I split out the Mackie from the other 2 monitors he mentioned.

1 Like

I must say, your observation is truly enlightening! I have just forwarded it to the relevant manufacturers. Thank you for sharing your insights.

Iā€™m sure you will get several biased answers. Similar to being on here I guess!

2 Likes

Well they are going to tell you their filters are great

So youā€™re going to uninstall HQPlayer immediately ?

Not sure what the point of contacting them is. Since you paid for HQPlayer filters one would assume you care about high quality filters :smile:

Going from high quality filters through crap ADC and out of crap DAC - seems to undo HQPā€™s high quality filters that you paid for? Do you really need to ask JBL if that is true? Assuming they even know what HQP is?

Are you expecting JBL to agree a KEF LS50 W2 has better vertical directivity?