And the winner is...?

Having used Roon for a little over a month, I’m coming to a point where I’ve discovered a lot of possibilities, but also the point where I’m missing some functionality. Thinking that I would most likely not be alone for much of the desired functionality, I started browsing the #feedback:feature-suggestions category, hoping that I could give my votes to some suggestions that are already there. While doing so, I’m noticing two things:

1. There are multiple occurrences of similar, if not identical feature suggestions. Sometimes they have been merged, but often they are not.
  2. Many feature suggestions have little or no votes, even though in some cases there are dozens, if not hundreds of replies.

To me this not only means that it’s not obvious to which of the many similar feature suggestions I should give my vote to make it count. It also suggests that the votes may not accurately represent the desire of Roon users. For the development team, I would assume this is equally overwhelming. Where do they begin?

So I’m wondering, (how) can this be improved? I know that it is not an easy task, and I’m not going to pretend to have a solution readily available, but I do believe there is a lot of potential in this category that goes unnoticed. Some ideas from my side are:

• As a group would it be an option to flag potential duplicate feature suggestions to the moderators so they can be merged?
  • Would it be an option to create a poll with “feature suggestions that are under consideration by the development team” to ge a better feel which of the features is most desired by the community?

Maybe I’m speaking ahead of my turn as I’ve only been here a few weeks. So who am I to comment on this. Probably there are other, and better ideas. I’m curious about your experiences and ideas.
In the mean time, I promise not to create yet another duplicate feature suggestion. :smiley:

2 Likes

The Request section has been around on the forums since the beginning, but, it has changed. The Voting mechanism was added only recently. So, post made prior to that, may have many responses but few votes.

Polls have also been tried in the past. I think of this section as mainly a suggestion box. Roon devs may or may not incorporate these into their roadmap. My first feature request is still hanging around after all these years, Roon Security via Profile -- aka "Party Mode" / "Do No Harm" [On roadmap, low on list]

1 Like

That already explains a lot. Thank you for sharing that insight.

That’s a no given the hundreds of requests for roadmap insights. Think of requests and the actual roon development being carriages on parallel train tracks; occasionally roon pull a lever and a carriage joins the roon train but it’s a once in a blue moon event.

Hi @SvenM,

It not the first time this question has been asked, and the answer is … Yes of course, if you or any member spots topic duplication ie should be merged then flag a post (ideally in the most significant topic, select this option (see below) and then include link(s) to the topics that should be merged.

The mods will then review and merge accordingly.

We [mods] do aim to eradicate duplicated topics when we spot them, but with thousands of topics spanning the best part of decade it a mammoth task so any help to identify potential candidates from the user base is most welcome.

2 Likes