Andrew Jones on new ELACs and the problem with active speakers

AJ dislikes active speakers that have embedded DAC/DSP. Also, some interesting bits on speaker design.

1 Like

Another Yorkshireman gone stateside huh?

Thanks, interesting video.

1 Like

Andrew lost me when he said the speaker only does 44k 24bit because it gets tough to stream anything above that without specific wireless. I guess he’s not talked to our friends at roon.

1 Like

Yeh this was a little surprising. Although you can use an external DAC and the analogue signal stays analogue to the speaker output. But then the box count goes up again.

GoldenEar’s up-coming active bookshelves will support Chromecast (24/96) over WiFi. And I believe Chromecast is now back on the roadmap for Roon.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/goldenear-technology-digitalaktiv-3-poweredwireless-bookshelf-speaker

New interview with Andrew - or is it his mirror twin!? :grin:

I always learn something new about things to consider in speaker design when I see/hear his interviews.

Cool dude.

2 Likes

Especially when he says he uses Roon in his own system to source the music.

2 Likes

Yet another superb interview with Andrew.

I like this guy, He can be accessible without rambling and being obnoxiously folksy, unlike another guru.
I can listen to him for longer than 5 minutes. Chock full of insights, that he can clearly explain.

1 Like