Android 14 gains support for lossless audio formats

Lossless USB audio
Android 14 gains support for lossless audio formats for audiophile-level experiences over USB wired headsets. You can query a USB device for its preferred mixer attributes, register a listener for changes in preferred mixer attributes, and configure mixer attributes using a new AudioMixerAttributes class. It represents the format, such as channel mask, sample rate, and behavior of the audio mixer. The class allows for audio to be sent directly, without mixing, volume adjustment, or processing effects. We are working with our OEM partners to enable this feature in devices later this year.

I think this will open up a lot of opportunities for Android based Roon endpoints devices, or easier lossless ARC to external DACs

7 Likes

Still only usb-connected DAC’s it seems. Or will this also work for Android devices with internal DAC’s? That would be even better for us with Android based DAP’s.

It will be better or easier for future DAPs none in production now will benefit as they don’t use latest releases and more often stick with what they have during their lifespan.

1 Like

My work Pixel 6 is running Android 14 Beta but I haven’t yet seen any changes, but maybe I need to investigate some music Apps

1 Like

Android 14 rolled out yesterday. Not seen any mention of native sample rate support and all audio resamples to 48khz unless using special app like UAPP.

Will likely depend on the vendors to implement it in their version of the OS and for apps to support it. A lot of apps resample by default for compatibility as they will be supported across multiple devices they would all need modifying how they deal with it.

2 Likes

Ooh, updating to 14 Beta on Samsung A54. Excited :laughing:

Well I deleted ARC earlier but I am pretty sure it was flagged as being supported in the future for phones with built-in DACS.
I started the update process on my Pixel 7 Pro earlier but I am out for the day so I will let it complete tonight.
I can always download ARC again but I do do not expect anything to have changed

2 Likes

It won’t as ARC hasn’t changed.

2 Likes

I know really

1 Like

My pixel phone is updating to the final v14 will see how this looks later

1 Like

Ok, so I’m updated to Android 14
On the developer settings there’s an option I can’t remember seeing:

Clicking on transcoder settings shows:

The only apps I have installed for audio are ones that already play well with usb audio, tidal, uapp etc so I’ve only tested it with Tidal

Some of these were there in 13 as well.
But as I have updated to 14 and it’s finally back up I can’t say any longer.

I will try Qobuz, Tidal and PlexAmp later and see what comes from that

I haven’t seen anything else regarding USB audio, I tried Tidal, it worked as it did before, it’s passed Hi Res through USB for a long time.

That’s why I wanted to try Qobuz as that never did pass it through.
I will be home shortly and I can try a dongle DAC and see

Qobuz passed hi-res though usb dacs on my Pixel phone in Android 13, I just no longer use the app.

Well I just tried various options on my iFi Go Link with the below album and the light is still green where it should be Yellow if passed through.

I tried various developer options but nothing made any difference yet.

Qobuz has never passed through to my knowledge , Tidal only supported it over the last year and a bit. Qobuz should though as it’s capable of pass through as the DAP versions do and it’s the same app. So perhaps this is a different implementation for external DACs.

1 Like

Yes I have another DAC with me which does different colour coding. I might try that later or tomorrow.
My Tidal account is only 16/44 so it wouldn’t make a difference with that as the iFi Go shows the same colour up to PCM 24/96

Qobuz passes through up to 96k, I just installed the app and validated it using my iFi Go Bar Gold, the 88/96 light was lit playing a 96k track. Playing a 192k track had the 88/96 light on still. Playing a cd quality track had the 44/48 light Illuminated.

2 Likes