Android App Freezes after latest update

Core Dell 7090, 6 processor/12 extended, 64gb memory, 512 SSD system, 256 SSD Virtual machines, 8TB data/music drive
Network - All Cisco. CS350 switch, RV345 router with 16 ports, wireless are 1832 access points, wireless devices typically use 5ghz connectivity.
Library is 96,000 titles

Following the grade of the Android app to 1.8 952 with the Core at 952, the android app hangs after is not actively used. I use the app on a samsung Note20 Ultra 5G running V12 and a samsung s3 tablet running V9.

Scenario: core is running. using windows 10 access, all systems, a pair on Sonos speakers, and a couple Squeezebox devices all are running just fine. I run Roon on either or both Android devices. The initially connect just fine. I perform whatever management, song queuing I need; all of which works fine as long as I continue to use the android app. Now, I switch to another program. I do not exit the Roon app but leave it in the “running” queue. I come back to the app, say after 1 hour or 96 hours, does not seem to matter. I select the app from the running list, The app “opens”. Here you get different responses, which I don’t believe are necessarily time in the background list, Most of the time, the display shows the last device being managed, the “last” song it started to play. If you try to manage the device: switch to queue or now playing, adjust volume (either with touch or volume key), nothing happens. Some times, when in this state, you can open the menu but not select anything. The only fix is to delete/stop the app from running and restart it. On restart, at least for me, the app comes up, finds the core and runs. The above failure will repeat always when left in the running queue.

This issue did not occur until the recent upgrades. Earlier 1.8 9xx release worked just fine via the android app. As noted, the windows 10 software continues to work even when the android app is hung.

Roaming with the android devices across access points (2), away from home where WiFi fails and reconnects when coming back, etc. does not appear to be cause, or at least the main cause since the failure occurs when staying in one location and trying to manage playback as described above (say reading while music plays in the background). Target device does not matter since I get the same failure scenario using Sonos output, Windows 10 output, or the Squeeze devices.

Please note that I run the core on a Hyper-V machine. I have tested the core on Qnap, Windows 10 dedicated, Windows 10 Hyper-V, and VMware Workstation Pro. I get the same failure scenario regardless of what device runs the core. As a matter of note, running the core under Hyper-V has been the most successful and stable. The main advantage with Hyper-V is that I set the shutdown state to be “Pause” which saves the running state of the virtual machine. Upon reboot of the main hardware, the VM auto-starts and the core resumes running. This improves the core availability by not forcing one to log into the core and run the Roon software since we still can’t get the Roon software to actually work as a service. I know this is a hot debate, but for the Core at least, there must the some way to have it run as a service at boot.

Thanks,

Bob

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Hey @robert_merritt,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your question. My apologies for the delayed response and for your wait. We’ve made some recent changes to the support team structure and some reports have experienced a longer response time than usual.

Since some time has passed I wanted to touch base to get your current status. If you’re still experiencing this problem on the newest Roon build (970) and need assistance please let us know. We’ll be watching for your reply and get back in touch as quickly as we can. Thanks!

In short yes. The app is the latest release and still fails. It appears that app is running in the background since the current title is correct as shown on the lock screen. The failure, when it occurs, is when the app is selected form the background app list and becomes current. The app is displayed but does not accept input nor does it display the indicators of the playing title, such as playtime. The app has to be stopped and restarted. After restarting it works fine for a while.

Hey @robert_merritt,

Got it, thanks for letting me know. Before anything else, please completely uninstall the app from your mobile device, power down your device, restart and reinstall Roon.

From there, if you’re still seeing issues, please jot down a few timestamps of when the issue occurs and share them here.

We’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply :pray:

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Continuing the discussion from Android App Freezes after latest update:

Roon Core Machine

See original post

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

This is for Ben Cap. Sorry to have to start another topic chain but Roon’s closure of topics 45 days after last post does not provide enough time to perform extensive testing. My playlists for Newage alone run for 55 hours.

I performed the reload as you requested. The initial reload did not improve halting. Following several 1.8 version release and into Version 2, the failure continue, but have gradually been reduced in frequency. Observing the failures, there appear to be some commonality in them (1) Roon app has been started, ran interactively and then put into the background play list of apps “running” but not displaying on the screen. (2) Switching between home wireless and cellular wireless when coming into and out of the house seems to be one of the elements in more frequent failures, (3) when the “freeze” occurs, it appears that the remote application has been running as music continues to play within the house. (4) when the application is first selected from the “running in background” queue, the active playing icon freezes, you cannot scroll, select, nor affect the volume of the selected remote device. (5) going into the application list, removing the Roon application from running, and then restarting the application results in the application functioning again, as expected. (6) The interesting thing here is that the queue information, current song playing information after restart closely matches the information on the “Frozen” screen prior to restart. It is my guess that the remote application was running in the background up to the point is was selected to become interactive again. At that point during the activation or display update that the screen freezes.

The freezing has continued in the 2.0 release, but as noted above the frequency has been reduced.

Bob

Hey @robert_merritt,

Thank you for the update. I’ve merged your new thread into your older thread and reopened the topic.

If possible, can you please share a specific date and time the next time the freezing occurs? That way, we can enable diagnostics on your account and take a look at what might be happening at the time of the freeze :pray:

Hi. I have continued testing this issue. I removed Roon from all of my Android devices, made sure that the OS reported it removed and no data hanging around. I reinstalled the app with no overall change. You had requested times and dates, but overall, the failure occurs so frequently that it seems irrelevant. Additionally, I updated my tablet in December. This fresh device and setup did not copy any data from the old device; setup or data. The Roon App continues to fail in this same manner.

In what may be a related issue, since late November, the Windows roon application no fails fairly often. The application is actively used for both managing the core and local playback through the PC to the stereo. The operational mode described for the Android app is similar to how I use the Windows version. Run, setup a queue, play the queue, minimize once playback started, let playback run with restoration of the window as desired to monitor music playback. Upon some restorations, the application “freezes” just like the Android app and then disappears, stopping playback. I have not opened a support ticket on this but thought the information might be helpful.

Hey @robert_merritt,

Thanks for the additional info.

In regard to your android issue, are you able to use Arc at all? We would need to grab a set of manual logs from the android device. Steps to acquire these logs may be found below:

Connect your PC to Android phone and install ADB (instructions are here (all platforms)). Then:

1. Type adb shell in terminal
  2. Type logcat v (ref: Logcat command-line tool  |  Android Studio  |  Android Developers)
  3. Reproduce the problem and let terminal print logs for 3-5 more seconds
  4. Select output from the moment you started the reproduction of the bug till the very end
  5. Upload the log here and let us know once you have done so:

https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/8i5239cc05950ac07456889838d9319545a82/external

Robert, is this still the case? Virtual machines technically fall outside of our scope of support. However, if you manage to take note of the specific time and date when the freezing occurs, I’d be happy to take another look to see if anything specific reveals itself.

Hi. The core is running on a Dell T310 server under Windows 10 OS. I noted the virtual elements since my original setup had the core running on a Qnap NAS unit. When the core became unstable on Qnap, I tried Hyper-V and VMWare virtualization options. Both virtual environments worked ok, but not as well as the Qnap virtual environment. I then resetup the T310 for testing Roon Core and have kept the core there since.

The ARC question answer is no or at best not yet. My home network is setup differently. I have my LAN elements terminated into an internal network router which hosts a firewall and that router is connected to a standalone firewall which does NAT to the internet. The router to firewall traffic is over point-to-point IP links. Outgoing traffic and the reply traffic work fine. Internet initiated traffic is not easily directed through all of my devices. To be honest, I have not spent much time to evaluate ARC as a remote platform.

Bob