Android app having trouble finding Linux Core

Thank you, I did not know. dp

There is no reason why it should not work. I have an MXQ pro box which connects reliably every time, as does my Pixel C which others are having problems with. But I presume it is an Android device with access to the Android market place and Roon loads from there OK. So, supported or not it ought to work at least some of the time. This should be a fixable problem.

Indeed. But without the help of the support it will be difficult for me to fix this problem.
As soon as I have a little time I will do some other tests.

@support,
I have installed the new version Roon 1.3 (build 269) on 18-Oct-2017, sorry to let you know problem exist and nothing changed to this issue.

3 Likes

@mike Any chance that the new remote logging capabilities would help debug the Android remote problem.

I think, I found a solution. At least works for me and bear FNF (Bob) so far.
Check my post in this thread:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/server-shows-initializing-android-app-cant-connect/10123/32

Cheers.

1 Like

Here’s another piece of troubleshooting information that may help.

When viewing the Core’s connected audio devices, my Pixel shows up as connected, even though the Pixel itself is perma-stuck on “Wating for Remote Core…”

Again just to be clear, this problem only popped up on my Pixel after updating to 8.0.0. Before then I never had an issue.

So the Core and the Remote are definitely talking to one another, albeit a one way conversation at the moment.

I tried your solution. Sadly…

Too bad.
Sorry to hear it’s not working for you.
Would have beee nice to have stumbled across a general solution.
But I douted from the start that this was going be the case…
Anybody else who found it a working solution?
Or is it just Bear FNF and me?
That again would be very unlikely, wouldn’t it?

1 Like

@mike This whole issue is very mysterious. One thing I’d wish Roon would do is to release a version of the Android app that allow one to switch off the whole RAAT side that allows the core to stream to the remote device. My own investigation of logs several months ago made me feel that failure in the RAAT negotiation between core and Android remote was where the core decided the remote was AWOL, and so it would never talk with it again. Those of us focused on high quality sound don’t care about streaming to Android devices, anyway, only about using Android remotes to control play on other endpoints.

2 Likes

For whatever reason I had a week or two of no problems connecting my roon remote. But then I rebooted my router a couple of nights ago, and I’ve now returned to the same problem as before: I cannot connect my Pixel phone remote to my core (running on Fedora), unless I restart the core (systemctl restart roonserver.service). After restarting, I can connect to the core for a bit, and then at some point I’m unable to connect.

I do think it’s interesting, as @anon55914447 noted, that the core can see the remote. Using a separate Mac as a roon client I see the same “Networked” device output that @anon55914447 sees. The Pixel device pops up in the Networked section when the Pixel tries to load the Roon app, which fails to connect. The Pixel device disappears as soon as I close the Pixel Roon remote app.

1 Like

I updated roon core to the latest version. To my surprise today on my samsung galaxy tablet as well as my Meizu M5 smartphone, roon did connect!
If this is due to the update… thank you!. If it is something else… I still am a happy man.

We haven’t forgotten about this issue and we are still discussing it, but for now we have still never seen this happen in house, and a few theories posted here or discussed internally don’t seem to have panned out.

This theory, however, is interesting:

We are going to do some testing in this area, see if we can provoke some issues, and we’ll follow up when we have some news.

Truly one of the more frustrating bugs ever, guys – we (still) really appreciate everyone’s patience. :weary:

3 Likes

I am just breaking my head what changed in my setup. Actually nothing I can think off, or it must be that I deleted or dismanteled a lot of google services. What I know. a week ago I had trouble in connecting through my android devices and had to restart roonserver while the remote app was searching…Now that isn’t necessairy strangely enough.

I have this problem too from my Android device. In linux I boot with the systemd service enabled. After boot roonserver is running without errors. However I cannot connect. But…
if I restart roonserver after boot on the core computer, the android app will magically work. So to me it appears some sort of network problem. I will try to add a delay in the starting of systemd service.

I guess you are using audiolinux :wink:
Now I remember that I recently killed all audio services with the provided desktop button, before I did a system update. After the update I only used ‘start roon server at boot’. I am fairly sure that after that I could use my remote apps again.

Yes, but the problem is only in the Android app. If I connect from a windows computer to audiolinux PC, all is fine, without restarting roonserver.

Not sure if this is useful for others, but I’ve found that I can re-establish the Android remote connection by turning off/on the wifi on the core machine.

The Android remote typically loses its connection sometime during playback: when I open the remote, it says “Lost Connection” and will not reconnect. Closing and re-opening the app does not help. Usually only a restart of the roon core will re-establish the remote connection.

However, when I’m unable to connect, turning off and on the wifi for the core will allow the remote to connect. My core machine runs networkmanager so I use nmcli radio wifi off, then nmcli radio wifi on. After the core wifi is back on, the Roon remote app will reconnect.

This is a helpful workaround for me because, at least for my setup, audio playback continues as normal during the entire process, which is obviously not the case when I have to restart the core.

I found that just hitting the “save” button on my ROCK/NUC settings screen helped the app reconnect. Don’t have to change anything just hit save.

But, since i enabled the WiFi this is not needed anymore. I also have ethernet connected to the NUC.

Thanks for the follow-up.

I am up and running. I am having difficulty getting one of my Android tablets (Samsung Galaxy TabS) to consistently find the core. My S8 phone seems to be ok. I have read some of the posts about this issue with Android. I will dust off an old iPad and charge it as a backup.

I am enjoying Roon as a music server. Nice work.