Android app having trouble finding Linux Core

Just to underline how weird this bug is… I started this thread back in June, experienced the bug for months, had occasional teases when my Android phone would work for awhile, saw the bug persist across a complete replacement of network infrastructure (WiFi access points, switches, router all changed to a different brand), eventually in desperation bought an iPad just to use as a Roon remote…

…eventually, my Android phone just started working again. It’s the same phone I filed the original bug report about, and RoonServer has always been running on the same machine here. So far (knock on wood) it’s still working fine.

I don’t know why. Clearly our frustrated friends at Roon don’t know why. Others here are presumably using the same software I am, and having the problem.

So… yes, this bug is indeed a slippery one.

4 Likes

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A That had a problem and like you, I bought an iPad Pro (The tablet I wanted anyway) I don’t use the Samsung much but it has worked with Roon every time I have tried it lately.

2 Likes

Dear sir, madam,

i have problems connecting an Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 with Android 7) to the Roon Rock.

At first it works fine, although connecting is always a little slow, takes a few seconds. When the phone goes to sleep for a while and i want to use the Roon remote again it often isn’t able to connect anymore and i get a screen as in the picture:

The only remedy is rebooting the phone. This is obviously very annoying, and the most annoying problem i have with Roon up until now. restarting the wifi AP or the Roon Rock doesn’t help.

I also have an ipad, which suffer only occasionally from this same problem and is working fine most of the time.

I have a Uibiquiti router and seperate Ubiquiti access point, both working great with all other things…

The music collection is on a QNap nas and Roon Rock is running on a Intel NUC from the 5th generation (core i3).

I couldn’t find a solution elsewhere on the forum, i hope you guys have a clue!

For ow, great holidays and apart from this issue Roon is absolutely great!

Mart

Hey Mart – moved your post over here. Unfortunately, this is one of the more elusive bugs we’ve dealt with, and our investigation is ongoing.

Have a read over my posts above and know that we continue to actively try and work on this issue. There’s a form in my post above that you can fill out which will help us continue to gather information so thanks for your patience!

1 Like

Hello,
I just installed Roon and using a NUC7i3 as the core and a couple of windows machines as remotes, no problems with them at all.
I installed the Roon app on my Pixel 2 and it can’t find the core. I tried to pop in the IP address of the core but still no luck.
I hope you guys can find the cause and a fix.

I am also experiencing this issue. My Oneplus 5T connects just fine while my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 and S6 are having issues.

The strangest thing is that it seems to work without any connectivity issues when i connect my Intel Nuc7i3/ROCK wired and wireless to my network at the same time. When i disable the wireless connection the issues start to occur again very fast.

I was running core on Windows 10 for a year with no problems with my android hp remote. However the problems started recently when I setup a fanless pc running ROCK to replace my previous computer.

The funny thing is that the windows10 laptop connects reliably to my ROCK server without issue as a remote over wifi. Only my android HP has the problem.

ROCK is Linux-based. I believe most if not all of the reported problems are between Android remotes and Linux-based cores. But the reported cases are a (small?) fraction of Android remote-Linux core setups. Which is why the problem has been so hard to debug.

I’m running my Core on Linux Mint 18.1. I’ve had the same problem everyone else is describing on my Android based remotes (both an S6 Edge and Kindle Fire)…sometimes they see the Core and sometimes they are stuck. When an Android remote is stuck, my Win10 Surface Pro 4 and iOS remotes all connect without issue (over the same wifi). My wired microRendu never has problems.

What I have found ALWAYS fixes it for me (temporarily b/c the problem is intermittent) is to SSH over to the Core machine and restart Roonserver

sudo systemctl stop roonserver
sudo systemctl start roonserver

As soon as I restart Roonserver the stuck Android remote connects almost immediately (you can watch it happen on the Android remote). Restarting the Android remote, rebooting wifi routers, etc. is never the fix.

Sure appears to me to be a server side issue w/ the Core.

It seems like it. But, there is also something else going on; something environmental it seems. For me, in 2.5 years of using Android remotes, multiple phones, manufacturers, Android OS’s. I’ve never had the problem you (and others) have described.

ROCK Nuc w/music on USB > ethernet > Verizon G1100 router/wireless > 2.4 GHz > Various Android endpoints, including Nexus 7, Nexus 9, Samsung Tab 2, Tab 1, Note 3, Note 4, Note 7, Note 8, Galaxy S4, S5, S6, S7 Edge.

Certainly possible it’s environmental. Anything is possible with computers and networking.

My setup is:

Roon Core on dedicated Dell Laptop (i7 16gb RAM) running Mint 18.1 (wired to switch)
Synology DS415+ (music library) (2 gigabit NICs trunked to the switch)
TP Link 24port gigabit switch
2 Ubiquiti Unifi UAP-AC-Pro wireless access points (both running 2.4 and 5 ghz and wired to switch) ((previously had a Netgear Nighthawk and had the same issues))
Sophos XG firewall (serving as gateway, firewall, DHCP server)
Cable modem from my provider…Motorola I think.
Endpoints: microRendu, multiple Raspberry Pi w/ IQAudio boards. All wired to switch.
Remotes: Surface Pro 4, 2 iPhones, Kindle Fire, Samsung S6 Edge. All wireless.

The Kindle and S6 both unreliable. Everything else is rock solid. Happy to help troubleshoot however I can.

My setup is as follows:

Core - i7 Desktop, Ubuntu 17.10, 32GB RAM, OS on m.2 SSD, 1TB dedicated music drive, several TB’s video.
Network - Cisco 24 Port 1GB switch
Roon Core and all endpoints are hardwired to the switch
Endpoints are all RaspPi’s with Boss DAC’s, DigiOne’s, HifiBerry Amps - All running Ropieee
Wifi: Google Wifi (recently added which replaced an Asus RT-AC66U, with same problems)
Router is Bell Canada’s HH3000 1GB/sec fibre optic router
Remotes: Samsung S6’s, S8, Galaxt TabS - all with intermittent connection issues
iPad mini and Macbook Air - consistently connect without issue

My desktop and Roon Core are rock solid. Play to the endpoints is flawless … no delays or stutters.

Rebooting the phone or tablet always sorts it for me. It happens way to often though.

Core is on Vortexbox Linux server, Netgear nighthawk R8000 router, several poweline adaptors to connect each zone. Windows remote on laptop works 100% of the time,. One plus 5 and Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 not so. As soon as app goes into background it struggles to reconnect.

Same here. At my end it’s a Samsung Galaxy S6 and a Tab S2 that are having trouble connecting. My Oneplus 5T has no problems on Android Nougat and the Oreo beta and connects almost instantly.

After i enabled my NUC/ROCK to setup a wired and a wireless connection at the same time the issues are mostly gone. The Tab S2 is sometimes a bit slow but it connects. The S6 has only had 1 or 2 times it wouldn’t connect in the last 10 days. Not the most ideal setup but it works and that is the point.

That’s interesting…on mine rebooting the remote device usually doesn’t work but bouncing the Roon service on the Core always does. I’ve also had some success w/ the kick start method by starting Roon from another remote. For example I tested my Kindle earlier and it wouldn’t connect. I started Roon from my iPhone a little while ago and picked up the Kindle just out of curiosity and sure enough, it saw the Core and connected.

Appreciate the Roon team working on this…to clarify I’m not complaining, I know this is a strange one. Just providing my observations in case it helps.

I’m also having the situation occur with my Samsung tablet. It was bad for a while, then went away. Now it’s back.

My hypothesis is that it has something to do with the Roon app getting confused about the state of the network connection. Maybe because Roon is always running in the background. My tablet also calls out Roon as a problem app and asks whether I want to “fix” it. I’ll have to get some screen shots of this.

Another possible data point: I can wake up my tablet and log on before a network connection is completed. Since Roon is almost always the last app that I used, it immediately shows no network, then looks and finds no Core. If I wake up the tablet and wait for a network connection before logging on, Roon seems to be able to consistency find the Core.

Hopefully helpful . . . .

Since upgrading to Android O on my OnePlus 5 the remote app has been rock solid. My Tab S2 stuck on N so still looses.connection.

Having the same issue, Android devices (Galaxy Tab S, Pixel 2 running latest OS) periodically will not connect to core running on QNAP TVS-882. TVS has 3 x 1 gig connections teamed to switch. Running Ubiquiti AP’s and router/firewall.

I am having the same issue on Google Pixel C running Android 8.1. Roon core is on Synology Nas. No problems connecting from iOS or OS X.

Same / similar problem on a Nokia 8 w/ Android Oreo 8.0.0 + January 2018 Security patch.

Core is on a dedicated i7 NUC, running Windows10Pro 64bit, latest updates installed, w/ Symantec / Norton AntiVirus.
Router is a Deutsche Telekom Speedport W724V running latest 01011603.05.033 firmware.