Android app quality

Hi,

Another attempt: for multiple years now I’m facing an issue that the Android app is not coming back properly from the background. In many cases either I need to kill the app and restart, or it takes several seconds before it returns (and looks frozen).

I’ve reported it a few years back,but basically gave up. But recently I bought a new Pixel, started from scratch, and it’s back again.

And it’s almost 100% reproducible, so this is not a “sometimes”: this is a “very often”.

Hoping that the Android app get’s some love and attention :pray:

Thanks, Harry

3 Likes

Yes it’s known issue for iOS as well. Roon have accepted it is an issue but no fix as yet.

Ok, I missed that one.

I really hope (because this is going on for a long time) that it has priority (and so far it hasn’t).

It started on iOS beign really flakely early last year, Novemebers update made it significantly worse and comes back but is not actualy connecting to the serveer, you can noavigate some pages that are cached and even pres play and choose an album, but it wont actiually do anything, Closing app fully sorts it, They identified two causes of this behavoiur so far, using and leaving an actual filter in the text box, or just being in the background. Its not affecting everyone, but more and more people posting similar issues. I have had it on Mac and PC to with the filter issue as well as the other on iOS.

I had all kinds of bad experience on my last to Android phones with it crashing or coming up with a black screen. I think its all related they just dont seem keen to fix it in a hurry or not enough have moaned about it.

I run GrapheneOS (Android 14) and also had this issue. However, I appear to have resolved it by turning off “Pause app activity if unused”.

To achieve this, long-press the Roon icon, and click on “App info”. Then, scroll down to “Unused app settings” and change the default setting.

I am assuming this option is available to you under app info, but it may be on Android 14 or GrapheneOS only. Hopefully, it’s worth a try.