Android can't find Roon Core

like every morning my Android devices does not work. I need to disconnect and then use the trick with broadcast IP address (255.255.255.255) which works or restart the server.

Your router is IGMP ready ?

@ComasSky no router involved Deco M5 directly connected to the switches.

Android <-> WIFI (Deco M5) <-> Switch (TPLink 108E) <-> Switch (TPLink105E) <-> Server
All on the same network.
Iā€™ve tried with and without IGMP proxy on the switches but it does not solve the issue.
Deco M5 are in AP mode

For my morning problem it seems to be related to inotify.
After trying to tail log file iā€™ve seen that there is no more inotify watche.
Iā€™ve bumped in /etc/sysctl.conf with:
fs.inotify.max_user_watches=1048576
No more issue so far except that Android take more time to connect.

Hi Terry,

A message from the future. The world is succumbing to a terrible virus and we still donā€™t have flying cars.

Also, this problem with Roon and Android still exists.

On the plus side, your advice about 255.255.255.255 still works.

So thanks!

In return, Iā€™d urge you to stockpile toilet paper now before the great Andrex rush of 2020.

Regards,
Mark.

1 Like

Hi Noris,

Worked for me. None of the Android devices in my house have been working for the last month or so. It may be coincident with a change in firewall / DHCP host to pfSense. Having said that, it was intermittent before that.

Wifi - Netgear WNDAP660
Switch Netgear GS724TP

Windows 10 Pro for Roon Core

Android on LG G7 Thinq, Moto G7, Moto G8 Power, Nexus 7

Roon core v1.7 b528

Windows clients have been rock solid, the issue has just been on Android.

Cheers,
Mark.

2 Likes

I have an Asus RT-AC3100 with the most recent firmware. Mesh network connects Asus RT-AC3100 and Asus RT-AC68U. NUC with Roon OS hard wired to Asus RT-AC68U. IGMP Snooping, IGMP Proxy enabled. On router. I have an iPad, a Pixel 3 and a MacBook Air. The iPad and MacBook air connect flawlessly. The pixel 3 with all the most recent software requires the 255.255ā€¦ work around. And takes longer to connect every time. I keep hearing this is a multicast issue but I find it really hard to believe given the fact that all my other hardware works flawlessly. I would be more inclined to believe it is an Android roon software issue. It is really frustrating that this is still a problem. It has not resolved with multiple software updates. I have the exact same problem. Canā€™t find the core even if I put the IP. Even when I make the IP static on the core. The only way to connect is to use the 255.255ā€¦ workaround. This is most annoying because it takes longer to connect the Android devices every time the app is opened. Can someone at roon just buy an Android device and repeat the problem so you can see how frustrating this can be so us Android users can have software that works as advertised. Thank you.

1 Like

They have multiple Android devices. It works for me all the time even on my crappy old android phone that sits in the garage.
Iā€™ve had Oneplus, Huawei, Google, Samsung and LG Android as well as a pioneer Android DAP and all work.
A couple of years ago it wasnā€™t guaranteed but on current builds connect first time every time.

I have no problems with my Pixel 3 on mesh WiFi either. Roon is incredibly network sensitive, hit the sweet spot and life is wonderful, anything slightly off and Roon spits the dummy out.

They have plenty of Android devices. I even gave Roon access to my home network to try to debug Android issues a few years ago. They observed the problem on my home network, took network traffic dumps, but they could not replicate it in their lab. Then I tweaked my home network by turning off IGMP snooping on a managed Netgear switch, and the problem disappeared. No Android issues since, even though I changed much of my network gear when I moved last year. Iā€™m convinced that there is a subtle interaction between the Android network stack and some network switches (or routers), maybe around some slight disagreement on one of the fine points of multicast or IGMP.

I donā€™t know whether itā€™s just because it is popular, but Asus seems to come up quite often in Roon networking problem reports. Except for that Netgear managed switch, my Ubiquiti network hardware and Netgear dumb switches have been flawless. Ubiquitiā€™s AmpliFi consumer WiFi mesh is great, too. I have a somewhat complicated home network: Ubiquiti EdgeRouter with load-balancing dual WAN, Actiontec MoCA transceivers for internal network wiring on coax (no easy way to run cat 6 through concrete, coax was already there), AmpliFi WiFi AP and mesh points, Netgear switches, Synology NAS, Ubuntu NUC core, Pi-based streamer, two Linn systems, several other devices. Pixel Android and iPad Roon control points. It all just works.

I am having the same issue with Android 9 on LG G7 connect to a windows 10 roon server over a netgear ORBI network.

I would agree with the statement that it should be easy for Roon to update their Android App to force 255.255.255.255 automatically when it has delays connecting to core. It is pretty annoying to expect users to do this over and over and over ā€¦

Iā€™ve never understood why Roon didnā€™t just use mDNS for local LAN discovery of the Core and endpoints. So much more reliable, and taken care of by the OS.

Why do you think this is a name lookup problem? From all Iā€™ve seen and experienced, itā€™s a routing issue.

1 Like

I am also experiencing this now. Makes Roon unusable on my Android phone. Very frustrating.

After months of frustration, the 255.255.255.255 trick works on my Fire 10!

Thankyou! This fixed my issues with my android devices. I had sent a ticket to support and this solution was not suggested. I wish I had seen this thread prior to installing and reinstalling roon multiple times and even trying to run mock on an old PC. Never an issue with my Apple devices always an issue with my android devices.

Coming from the Sonos environment which was plug-and-play and worked flawlessly, roon is clearly not yet ready for primetime. I think most of us who are using roon are fairly ā€œtechyā€ and feel the better sound quality/music storage are worth the effort. The majority of people though simply want to turn on the music and not waste time trying to get the music to work. The sound quality difference for most people is as well negligible. They really need to work on emulating the Sonos experience, which is essentially invisibility whereby the tech simply works and never interferes with enjoying the music.

From what I read there are just as many issues with Sonos and networking to especially subnets, all systems that rely on multicasts for discovery do to some degree itā€™s not unique to Roon I see it on other forums a lot including network hardware.

Roons discovery does need to improve and allow subnets though this is a given in todayā€™s security paranoia. But most of multicast routing issues are down to bad implementation in network gear. IGMP should really be on for everything, you donā€™t want multicast packets being sent to every device on your network but this is done badly on most cheap domestic kitm These cheaper home gear are not made properly for multicast usage and the Mesh stuff like Google is is just ā– ā– ā– ā–  with its constant double nat issues.

Respectfully I would have to disagree. Iā€™m not sure if youā€™ve used Sonos, if so I would be surprised if you were to have as many issues as I have found running roon. I have used a Sonos based system for approximately 8 years, 5 devices in total. A mix and match of multiple devices to controlā€¦ and very rarely if ever an issue. My wife and kids still use Sonos exclusively in our house, roon has not been stable enough for me to suggest they use it as of yet.

I donā€™t mind being tech support for the family, and have recently purchased an audio system that justifies the better sound quality roon/ tidal provide. However, most of my friends and family would not be willing to fuss with roon once it began causing issues. I have already sent three tickets to roon support in 3 weeks, and zero to Sonos support in 8 years.

Once they get to Sonos level of stability, with their advantages insound quality, library archiving, 3rd party device support, etc then I think they will become a more mainstream product. Until then I think it will continue to moreso attract people that post on forums at 1 in the morning :grin:

Same here, with Roon Core on Windows 10 PC and multiples remotes. The Android remotes take ages or donā€™t find the Core whilst ios remotes are immediatly connecting.

My way around is to restart the Core every day. Not acceptable.

Roon is obviously more to be run on a Linux system (Roon hardware development bias) and controled with ios devices (US bias).

I have experienced first hand very poor support from Roon for Windows based issues also.

Roon is definitely not a mainstream consumer product. Not robust enough.

I would be surprised also if current Roon customers base would not be 80% US. This would be another bias.

On the one hand, multicast discovery should work on a non-buggy network. Thatā€™s what Roon assumes. But unfortunately, some routers, WiFi access points, and switches have bugs that may not visible to other applications but trip up Roon. A possible compromise would be for Roon to fall back to a partially manual discovery that does not use multicast. The fallback might also make it possible to use subnets.

On the other hand, a well-built home network works beautifully with Roon. I use Ubiquiti EdgeRouter, Ubiquiti AmpliFi WiFi with 2 wireless mesh points and wired backhaul to a secondary AP, all wired together with Actiontec MoCA transceivers over coax, and a few Netgear dumb switches to connect various gadgets. Roon Core on a Linux (Ubuntu Server) NUC, Ropieee, Linn, and Chord 2go endpoints, and macOS, iOS, and Android control points. It all just works.