Android roon controller app can't find Bluesound Vault 2i

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Bluesound Vault 2i. Bluos ver 3.2.10

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Vault 2i is connected via ethernet through a TP-Link 5 Port Fast Ethernet Switch connected to a Linksys WRT3200ACM router.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

The Vault 2i is connected to Denon AVR-2308CI A/V surround receiver via analog

Description Of Issue

I signed up for a 2 week trial of roon. It is my understanding that the Vault 2i can act as a roon core. I installed the roon controller app on a Pixel phone running Android 9, April 5 2019 security patch level. When I start the roon app, it never gets past the Choose your Roon Core page. The status shows “Looking for your Roon Core”. I know that the Vault 2i is accessible from my network since the Bluos controller app finds it and successfully connects to it. I can also access the Vault 2i from my Windows 10 computer. I’m not sure what the problem could be.

Sorry for the bad news here, but this is a misunderstanding on your part.

Roon needs a machine running Roon Core in the network. Some more information about Roon’s architecture and the system requirements for a Roon Core.
The Bluesound Vault 2i is a Roon Ready Network Device that you can use to send music to from a Roon Core over the network cotrolled from a Roon Control device (phone, tablet, PC).

I hope this information will make you understand why you can not yet use Roon with your Vault 2i.

Hi @Robert_Loconto,

Thanks for contacting us here. @Blackjack’s explanation is correct here, you will need some kind of computer to host the Roon Core. This can be the same computer that you use for daily activities and we have installation packages available for Windows/OSX and Linux available, the download links can be found here: https://roonlabs.com/downloads.html

Our Knowledge Base provides a great wealth of information on how Roon is structured, it basically follows the Core -> Streamer principles, where all of the audio processing is done on a powerful PC and the audio stream is sent to the endpoints (Vault 2 in your case).

I suggest that you try to install the Roon App on your Windows 10 PC and use it to host your core, then you will want to go into Roon Settings -> Audio, locate the Vault 2 zone and enable it as an output zone. After enabling this zone, you will want to select the Vault 2 from the Zone Picker menu.

You can find more information regarding audio setup in our Knowledge Base:
Setting Audio Up
Choosing Zones
Adding Folders By Path (To import your Vault2 library into Roon)

If you have any other questions just let us know!

Thanks,
Noris

Thanks everyone for the clarification. After doing more research around the web it appears I’m not the only one who misunderstood. Several articles mentioned confusion over what “roon ready” means. This page on roon’s site doesn’t help…

Bluesound + Roon

Hi @Robert_Loconto,

Thanks for letting me know that info. I will discuss with the team to see if we can edit our language, but glad to hear you’re up and running after looking over the documentation.

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.