Android Roon remotes can't connect to Roon Core after latest Window update

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 laptop (don’t have build number but updated last night)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Windows 10 laptop connected via ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Bluesound Node (connected via Ethernet), and laptop (running Roon Core) connected via Ethernet (using USB out)

Description Of Issue

Updated to latest Window 10 Core version last night. Since then, Android Roon Control App (Samsung S9 and Samsung Tab S) can’t connect to Core. Message says Roon Android app needs updating, but no update is available. It’s almost as if the latest Windows version is incompatible with current Android control app, and Roon Labs released one before updating the other. Note, I can control the Roon Core from other Windows 10 PC with latest Roon software.

Hi @Diego_Estan,

If you close the Play Store on the Android devices and then open it up and search for Roon do you see an update available?

No. I also tried deleting Roon control app from my phone and reinstalling. Same result - can’t connect to core. The only thing I can do is “Configure Roon OS devices on your network”, but that just spins looking for devices and never finds any.

What version of the Android roon apps are installed?
Dated 20th Nov 1.7?

Hi @Diego_Estan – Can you share a screenshot of what you see when you go to the Play Store, search for Roon, and look at the app page?

Nope, Version 1.6 (build 433). This is what was available in the Google Play store last night.

Look now 1.7 is rolling out. 1.6 won’t work with an updated core server.

Just looked. It’s still v1.6 (Sept 4). I’m in Canada (if it matters)

Hi @Diego_Estan — Can you confirm what version of Android your devices run? Do they support OpenGL ES 3.0?

As noted in our release notes

Note that we now require OpenGL ES 3.0 support on Android

I’m not sure how I would verify that, but my S9 is running Android v9, Samsung’s One UI version 1.0, Baseband v G960WVLU7CSJ3.

A quick Google search tells me I need Android v4.3 to support OpenGL ES 3.0. I’m running v9.0.
Could it be that the Google Play store hasn’t made Roon v1.7 available yet, and it will come soon?

@Diego_Estan — Looking at the S9 as an example, it appears to support OpenGL ES 3.0.

What region are you located in? Have you tried rebooting your deviece?

I just tried re-installing Roon app on my S9, looks like it’s version 1.7 now. Should be good now. I’ll give it a try when I get home tonight. Thanks for your help.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.