Another odd screen issue

Same as before… but maybe I discribed it wrong. Wenn I power on the Raspberry I get a message after booting, it is not possible to connect to the core. But it IS connected and i can play music. I just see this error message on the display and no info which music is playing anymore.

Best regards

Peter

And you have enabled the extension?
Can you send me feedback?

oh… i did not. I did’t find the Extensions when i tried to setup with my mobile phone. Now i did it with my Laptop and everything is perfect now… sorry for my mistake and many thanks for your patience.

Best regards

Peter

1 Like

Ok guys,

An update for those that have a screen that stops updating after a while…

I have it as well. I took the time to setup a Roon server on Windows and there it happens as well.
Unfortunately it still puzzles me on the why, but at least there’s a start.

I’ll keep you posted.

1 Like

Hello Harry,

after being initially unaffected by the screen problem, it started today. At first, my screen wouldn’t update and showed the cover of the album I played when I last played to this zone (HeadphonePi) a few days ago, controls being functional. Then, it briefly showed the right album cover, but the wrong track, controls still being functional. I rebooted the pi a few times and switched to beta. Now, no album cover is shown, the progress bar is stuck at 1:12 of a 4:23 song (no idea which one), and only the power button works.

Feedback No. is 78b31b9e00416655

If you need more information, please let me know.

EDIT: I rebooted the core, no changes. Then I started playing music to the affected pi, again, no changes. After some time (one or two minutes), the display started to work properly again. Current cover, current song, controls functional. But I could crash ropiee by touching the cover. The music kept playing through all this. After a few reboot cycles, everything seems to be back to normal.
Feedback No. cefdcdc58ebeb89e

Hi,

I see that you have your zone set to ‘HeadphonePi’, but I don’t see a zone with that name in the zone list.
Have you configured it correctly (display tab on RoPieee’s web page) ?

Regards Harry

Hi Harry. You must be tearing your hair out!

This is a minor glitch, but still fits with “odd” and might help with finding the glitches.

Two of my RPis are connected to usb DACs (one MDAC and one Beresford) and - seemingly randomly - after the overnight reboot and only if the DAC is switched off, the screen saver clock doesn’t start, so that the screen shows the empty album page. A reboot with the DAC switched on solves the problem.

Best regards

Rick

Yes, it’s there and happily playing music.

Do you mean that core disconnects only happen if the core is running on Windows?

I do have a Roon Extension Manager log from a Windows user that also shows core disconects (I don’t see them on Linux). This might be an API issue.

1 Like

Hi @Jan_Koudijs, see my post in the API section.

Hey, i also have an Isle with the screen. See a5450b7007ab5a7b.
My Problem is that in Settings i set a Zone „Kitchen“ and the screen Shows „kitchen+1“ Bit the Zone is Not grouped right now. And Wehen i Group the Zone it doesnt work as well…
Thanks für your help.

Hmmm… I can’t read the archive. Maybe your SD card is busted…

Updates work well. I am on v160. So i Check the sdcard

ok. can you then reboot and try the feedback again?

Hi,

Update on this topic: there might be something wrong with the extension mechanism in general, especially when having more than 1 core running. Roon HQ is going to look into this.

I am going to push out an update anyhow, because I wanted to (finally) fix the support for CJK.

That’s it for now,

Regards Harry

1 Like

HERE is the nee Support Code: e80e0448eddbee9e

G’day Harry @spockfish ,

So I’ve been missing in action from this topic while I’ve been chasing bigger issues with my work ROCK setup. Thankfully it’s now back up and running on the latest updates.

But then I noticed the screen issues were still present.

The three RPi based DACs on this system all report they are up to date. The one with the touch screen reports as follows:

Package Version
ropieee 20180926-1
ropieee-version 174-1
ropieee-web 20180925-1
linux-raspberrypi-dsd 4.14.66-2
qt5-base-ropieee 5.11.1-3
qt5-declarative-ropieee 5.11.1-3
qt5-graphicaleffects-ropieee 5.11.1-3
qt5-quickcontrols2-ropieee 5.11.1-3
qt5-xmlpatterns-ropieee 5.11.1-3
ropieee-remote 20180819-1
ropieee-touchui 20180909-1

The Update Channel is set to Stable and Update Schedule is On Boot.

The 0.9.0 extension is enabled in Roon and running.

So I put the DAC on its own zone instead of grouped with another zone as I normally use it. Did a reboot of the DAC.

It came up with the Album Screen showing. No cover. No text. The track progress time display was 1:12, which it always seems to be when the display isn’t working.

I restarted the Roon Remote Extension.

The display updated to show the cover and details of the track that had been playing. The track play time is 1:12 not the 2:32 it should be as reported by Roon. I can use the Play icon, but it doesn’t switch from Play to Pause.

Tracks play but the screen doesn’t update.

I’ve left it going for a while. Then sent feedback 7ce9ead6c8ea4ccb. I hope it helps you to track down the problem.

Let me know if you want me to switch to Beta or do anything else.

I’m pretty sure the DAC with screen on my home system also isn’t working properly. It does all sorts of wierd stuff but I haven’t had a chance to study and document it.

Still the same problem: for some reason there’s isn’t any update coming from the zone in question. The 1:12 is the default time in the UI, so that’s explainable.

So… has this unit already been reflashed? Just starting from scratch?

If by unit, you mean the DAC, then no it hasn’t. It’s been running from the original build, with just updates applied, for about 6 months I would think.

I’ll reflash it tomorrow and see what happens.

G’day Harry @spockfish

I’ve just taken out the (Intenso) microSDHC 8GB card supplied by Audiophonics. Seem to remember having a problem with one of these cards on another DAC.

I’m now using a SanDisc Transcend Premium 400x 16GB card.

I’ve gone through the setup process. It’s on 176. I’m seeing the same display issues. I’ll leave it playing for a while and then send you feedback.

UPDATE: I had the need to stop music playing, remove the internal drive from the ROCK and start it up again. Since then the display has been working properly.

UPDATE 2: Came in this morning. Display on clock screen. Started playing music, but screen didn’t change. If I touch the screen it shows the track that I paused last night. It doesn’t update.