Any thoughts of adding a Podcast section?

Personally I would not want this feature in Roon.

3 Likes

Interesting topic for sure.

Iā€™m way into podcasts typically consuming approx. 6 hours per week. However, I feel myriad, well designed ways to listen already exist.

Native Android podcast app / Google Cast
Native iOS podcast app / Airplay
Third party Android podcast apps / Google Cast
Third party iOS podcast apps / Airplay
Roku
Apple TV
Spotify
PLEX
Soundcloud
Web browser access

I donā€™t think Iā€™m even scratching the surface.

I use an even more minimalist approach - I use a third party Podcast client to do all the work of downloading, tagging, and organising the podcasts into folders in my music library. I have made a Podcast genre, and use the album editor to assign this to all podcast ā€œalbumsā€ (the podcast folders, which Roon recognises as albums). Then using Focus/Genre=Podcast, itā€™s easy to pull out all podcasts from the rest of the collection:

3 Likes

What do you use Geoff?

Grover Pro.ā€¦

That is basically what I do, except it would be nice to have Roon do some of it for me and to remove podcasts from the album display, etc.

For what itā€™s worth, I use a simple command-line downloader called Mashpodder that works on MacOS and Linux (and perhaps on Windows, with the Linux subsystem or the like). I am considering transitioning to a similar but more advanced client, greg, that also works on MacOS and Linux. If I were starting out today, Iā€™d definitely go with greg, to take advantage of its tagging features.

Does someone has an idea how to upload a specific podcast episode to my ROCK machine? Is there an Podcatcher for iOS out there which can upload via SMB? Or can I make a ROCK machine a AirPlay receiver?

PLEASE add podcast support!

3 Likes

PLEASE donā€™t add podcast support.

4 Likes

I would love to see podcasts made easy like internet radio.
Roon what comments do you have on this.

Me too! In my house catch up TV is almost the default option over live viewing. Same with catch up Radio aka Podcasts.
Here in the UK, the venerable BBC have a clear strategy to capitalise on this trend. I would like Roon to offer a solution. You could brand it Roon Casting if you like.

2 Likes

I donā€™t want podcast support. I think its a waste of development time for the majority of your user base.

3 Likes

Andrew, thanks for the pointer to ā€œgregā€. Looks like just the thing for me.

1 Like

Andrew, presumably I can just stick a line in my crontab to have greg sync the podcasts every night?

So, whatā€™s best practice on organizing podcasts for Roon? I hate to dump them in as individual ā€œalbumsā€ at the top level. It would make sense to make each podcast series be an ā€œalbumā€, and just add ā€œtracksā€ to the ā€œalbumā€. Presumably Roon will pick up on the new tracks even if it doesnā€™t understand why the album is changing?

+1 for podcast

My experience is that Roon will create a new (unidentified) album, so I need to Merge the albums - and this will also necessitate reorganising the track numbers. Itā€™s quick and easy to do, but it needs doing.

+1 for Podcast support. I discover new music this way. Itā€™s another selling tool for Roon dealers, as well.

+1 for podcasts!

1 Like

Would love to see Podcast get a full section in Roon. Just love Mountain Stage Shows, and even if thereā€™s a Live Radio Chanel their podcast is outstanding in finding new music.