Any thoughts of adding a Podcast section?

(Brian G) #21

Personally I would not want this feature in Roon.

(Staatskapelle) #22

Interesting topic for sure.

I’m way into podcasts typically consuming approx. 6 hours per week. However, I feel myriad, well designed ways to listen already exist.

Native Android podcast app / Google Cast
Native iOS podcast app / Airplay
Third party Android podcast apps / Google Cast
Third party iOS podcast apps / Airplay
Roku
Apple TV
Spotify
PLEX
Soundcloud
Web browser access

I don’t think I’m even scratching the surface.

(Geoff Coupe) #23

I use an even more minimalist approach - I use a third party Podcast client to do all the work of downloading, tagging, and organising the podcasts into folders in my music library. I have made a Podcast genre, and use the album editor to assign this to all podcast “albums” (the podcast folders, which Roon recognises as albums). Then using Focus/Genre=Podcast, it’s easy to pull out all podcasts from the rest of the collection:

2 Likes
(Ged) #24

What do you use Geoff?

(Geoff Coupe) #25

Grover Pro.

(Andrew Grossman) #26

That is basically what I do, except it would be nice to have Roon do some of it for me and to remove podcasts from the album display, etc.

For what it’s worth, I use a simple command-line downloader called Mashpodder that works on MacOS and Linux (and perhaps on Windows, with the Linux subsystem or the like). I am considering transitioning to a similar but more advanced client, greg, that also works on MacOS and Linux. If I were starting out today, I’d definitely go with greg, to take advantage of its tagging features.

Does someone has an idea how to upload a specific podcast episode to my ROCK machine? Is there an Podcatcher for iOS out there which can upload via SMB? Or can I make a ROCK machine a AirPlay receiver?

(Kevin Voecks) #28

PLEASE add podcast support!

1 Like

PLEASE don’t add podcast support.

1 Like