Any tube heads here?

It is a beautiful looking amp.
I know it says SPL, but it made me remember of the analog FM tuner that ranges from 88 to 108 (MHz) :wink: .

1 Like

Decware Torri III. Tube rectification and tube regulation for the input and output tubes make this amp gloriously customizable. Can be ruthlessly transparent and fast or seductive and textured.

5 Likes

With which model and into what poweramp?

Doubled sad, Iā€™m sorry

My old man (my dad) always banged on about tubes sound and I didnā€™t care for it, thinking that was just old skool thinking.

Then I demoā€™ed the PrimaLunda Dialogue Premium HP Integrated with KT88ā€™s and owned it for a couple of years.

Wowza, there wasnā€™t any genre or age of music that I threw at it where the music didnā€™t sound incredible. Everything from Harry Belafonte to deadmau5ā€¦

Iā€™ve since moved on from tubes but I really do miss my old PL. Especially on cold nights :slight_smile:

I have a feeling Iā€™m gonna re-unite with that same model one day.

Itā€™s a Reference 5 into a Simaudio W-5.

1 Like

PassLab amplifiers tends to sound ā€˜coldā€™ and not as musical compared to some MOSFET amplifiers but they do have ability to drive big speakers.

I used to own Sonic Frontier flagship power 3 monoblocks and Line 3 preamp driving a pair of Maggies 1.7. It uses 8x KT88 per mono, a total 16 of them in stereo. Running this requires the room to be aircon. Due to high maintenance cost eventually I downgraded to VTL. With less tubes to replace, maintenance cost wise is now affordable.

Doge 8 preamp (2 x Telefunken ECC801S, 2 x Siemens ECC81)

Manley Snappers (x2), (1 x Telefunken ECC801S, 1 x Bendix Redbank 6900 (Mu labels, 7044 substitute), 4 x Psvane 6CA7)

8 Likes

What are those ā€˜clippersā€™ on the tubes for the Manley Snapper? Looks interestingā€¦ I love NOS tubes, they probably sounds most musical but it is expensive and hard to come by.

Are you asking about the tube dampers?
take a look here:
http://herbiesaudiolab.net/tube.htm

3 Likes

Another good place to buy current production tubes replacement, I use JJ 12AT7/12AU7 and Electro-Harmonix EL34.

Some reviews:

1 Like

Mine are headphone amps. Here is my Woo WA3 and a lot of tubes for rollinā€™

8 Likes

I use a Audio Aero Capitole TransTRAC Stereo Amplifier
With Psvane Philips Replica Silver EL34PH and Psvane CV181-T-MII
Audio_Aero_TransTrac

3 Likes

System 2:

Yaqin phono preamp, VTL Tiny Triodes.

2 Likes

Audio Research REF 6 preamp
Audio Research Reference 75 SE amp

1 Like

Very nice. How do those speakers do in the corners?

Iā€™ve got a DietPi + Allo Boss DAC as a RoonBridge connected to a tube headphone amp: Musical Paradise MP-301

http://wallofsound.ca/audioreviews/musical-paradise-mp-301-mk3-integrated-tube-amp-2013-deluxe-version/

Itā€™s running two 6SJ7 and two 5881 tubes. It is a headphone amp but is driving a set of efficient speakers. Itā€™s relatively inexpensive but sounds great.

1 Like

Chalice Audio ā€˜Grailā€™ SET monoblocksā€¦would add a pic but my attempts were not successful using the ā€˜uploadā€™ linkā€¦

1 Like

Yes! Got quite a bit

Living Voice Argento which is a PSE 300B amp. Quite hard to photograph, this is from when I had TJ Meshplates in it.

Audio Note (Japan) M7 - basically an early Kondo M7 preamp

Modwright Transporter (oops, dusty), with the very silly Emission Labs rectifier.

Also got an Allnic H1500 II valve phono stage.

7 Likes

Great pictures!