Anyone Here Catch the CoronaVirus?

What you don’t want is influenza and COVID19 killing people at the same time. It simply overwhelms a country’s health systems. The other aspect is COVID19 is much more infectious than flu. Flu has an infection factor of 1.5 (you infect an average of 1.5 people when you have it). The new virus has a factor of between 4 and 6. That means you can get a lot of people being infected in a very short space of time which the health services then cannot cope with. That is what kills a lot of otherwise treatable people.

5 Likes

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2020/03/live-coronavirus-map-used-to-spread-malware/

be careful what links you follow.

here is another that doesn’t use that java setup

this one is quite scary when you look at the timeline

1 Like

do not watch if you are against swearing and/or… american :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

I see that the UK government is going to introduce a plan whereby over-70’s will be asked to self-isolate for up to four months, in order to protect them from the virus. If the Netherlands follow suit, I’m going to have to ask the husband to do all our grocery shopping - the supermarkets don’t deliver in our area…

Edit: just found that our local Coop does deliveries… the husband will be relieved… So that’s sorted.

Thanks Henry,

I did a bit of reading up after I posted that comment.

Our PM has announced measures to help us, apparently. He has decided to keep schools open because “the mass closure of schools could make the Coronavirus situation worse, not better”. Apparently we have to employ social distancing, where we keep 1.5 metres apart and children at school are supposed to do the same.

60% of Australians are going to contract the virus, it will peak in June and be over by end of year.

I don’t know what else to say really.
So I won’t say anything else.

You have pretty much adopted the same approach as the U.K.

Shanghai, China here. Happy to report things are starting to slowly get better after almost 2 months of semi-confinement. Life is coming back, public places just started to reopen last week and the number of active cases in the city are now down to almost zero. This seems to be the nationwide trend and only the epicenter province of Hubei seems to still be under strict quarantine. Now authorities are reinforcing quarantine measures for people arriving from abroad as fear of reimporting the virus is growing.

Been working from home since late January, I have to say it has been quite an unexpected and new phase. Empty streets, staying home most of the time (more time for high end audio!), new routines.

Hopefully we’ll be done with this sooner rather than later.

Stay safe everyone!

15 Likes

People are still living in their own universe in the UK…
Things are going to get very ugly here over the course of coming weeks.

1 Like

They have to be kidding. As if the aged aren’t already isolated enough.

Hope our meatball President doesn’t get that into his head. He’s already blaming foreigners.

2 Likes

Since I never launched my blog website years ago and don’t have a platform with thousands of followers, I will just post this here:

I would like to see a plan to get some activities back up and running. Specifically, I think sports, played without stadiums full of fans, are kind of needed for morale purposes and will help keep people home, if they have something to watch and a feel of community participation.

Teams and officials could be tested and quasi-isolated for two weeks, and when cleared, could play.

I am in a very large city. Grocery stores are depleted even after a restock yesterday. My son lives near downtown and when finding the stores out of food…he bought a cake. He told the cashier…“no need to suffer.” He’s a character. That said, his company has told his team not to report in for two weeks (or more) pending.

1 Like

This panic buying is only exasperating the problem. There is absolutely no reason for panic buying. We have enough of everything. I wish people would wise up.

Walter Brennan from a series in the 60s “now that’s a foolish wish mister.” :slightly_smiling_face: You are 100% on target. The greatest challenge to people are other people. There are several things that are of concern: News outlets catastrophizing the data to hold an audience. People unable to see/appreciate the speed and coordination of response. Our role spearheading the solution when it comes, and the willingness to help others. That said; I observed a man sneezing into the air twice in a crowded aisle and a woman seeking something from an aisle, hovering over the shoulder of another woman in front of her. Like many, we are having to consider shutting down for … weeks. No decision as yet.

1 Like

The current president of the United States is all the proof one needs to know that Darwinism is not true.

9 Likes

Malthus Theory held that disease, war or famine would cause population control. He was not a biologist but a theorist. It is heartening to see the private sector combine efforts with the government. I would like to see more reporting from the more optimistic side. As was noted on Friday, this can/will be a format for how similar crises are managed in the future. Shelter in place is not an option for me, but I am glad that it is for many.

Malthusian psycho-genocide. More to the point, Malthus thought there was something in our species that caused certain events when the population needed controlling.

I seem to recall Fireside Theater doing a whole riff on that.

My regards.

I believe many are purchasing staples because if there is a local quarantine, stores will not be open to sell the items regardless of supply levels. That is a real possibility, and thankfully not a reality yet where I am.

1 Like

You might want to keep a little extra cash on hand, just in case…

wherever there already is a quarantine only allowed “shops” (and their whole supply chain) are those selling foods and medicines :wink:

only cause of empty aisles is… idiots freaking out :rage:
sorry about the term but… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes