Anyone use GIK for room treatments

Hi I have been using Roons DSP and HAF filters but now looking to also see what I can do with minimum room treatment as the other half has agreed to some after mentioning they can also house a print or photos of our own choosing.

So looking at GIK, I’ve dropped them a line filling in detail and was wondering if anybody else has used them and their experiences with them and the trreatments. My room is not a dedicated listening room and I am limited to where I can put things.

I have been using GIK for many years now and I feel they improve the overall sound of the room and ultimately my listening pleasure. I have 2 -244 on the “inside” of my speakers, 2 - 242 for first reflection points, one directly behind me and 4 corner traps. I will move the one behind me to cover the TV when I am just listening and want to reduce the reflection of the TV. It improves the “focus” :slight_smile: .

It was a journey and I would recommend start slowly and give GIK a detail of what you have. They were easy and great to work with on mine.

1 Like

I use them, I have three panels behind my seating position

1 Like

Thanks Jeff. I cant use bass traps behind as have no room. So interesting to see what they come up with.

I would guess something at the first reflection point would be a good = place to start. Today is Sunday, right now, and tomorrow is a holiday so = I would expect them to respond Tuesday or Wednesday. =20

Good Luck

If you need any more help let me know.

Jeff

No holiday in UK so I guess I may hear quicker. Thanks

I have used them in a dedicated listening room and in my theater. In the dedicated room, I sent them the dimensions and layout of the room and they came back with a suggested placements for walls, corners, and ceiling. Their design was very effective and the panels did their job but they didn’t look that good hung side by side on the walls and ceiling, so I had my carpenter build a frame around them and then I the whole thing wrapped in acoustically transparent vinyl in a color that matched the wall, so now they blend in nicely and most people don’t even notice them.

The theater was already treated but I need to get some damping in the rear corners, where there is a working door on one side and a fake door panel on the other side. I used the exactly same panels in 2x2 and 2x4 configurations but since these would be hung exposed, I ordered them with art. They came out nicely and look fine hung on the back side of the doors facing into the room.

They are easy to work with, at least the guys in Atlanta, GA that I dealt with.

Hi @CrystalGipsy,

I am using GIK bass trap Impression serie. The thicker ones. My wife is liking them very much because of the front panel decoration.:wink: Otherwise I have also Astri panels (3 bass trap, 3 diffusion and 3 absorption). I have given more details into that post:

The results for the moment in terms of room passive correction only are in that post:

My Home theater room part is not having any treatment. I believe I will wait to have the budget to buy RPG Modex Corner. From all the searches I have made, they are expensive but the best approach in bass trapping in a contained space because of their membrane system.

GIK are very reasonable in price but not well recognized by professionals for instance. When looking to their technical data it looks like they are absorbing also on the higher frequency. These are the data for the GIK 244 bass trap:

The Astri bass trap for instance which is also very reasonable in price seems more focused below 100Hz.

Astri data:

I mean for bass trap if you want to be efficient you never have enough in typical small rooms that we have at home.

I would think diffusion and absoprtion panels are easier to find at smaller cost such as the GIK ones but for bass trap I would tend to spend more money if I could.

From my post you see that I have a pretty good response in my stereo system room, but I also have a lot of furniture that are helping partly. I guess also this could be linked with my speakers themselves, as the room is only responding to a signal. I had seen in some of my speakers review that they are quite forgiving even in non treated rooms, so I guess even better when treated!

Because it seem to work quite smoothly for me directly, I am afraid I did not do loads of testing with and without and also with the Astri vs GIK to compare.

So all in all I believe GIK panels are good for the money and especially with the Impression serie very WAF compatible. You will not get wrong with them, but if you have a serious issue with low frequency then you may want to start directly with something much more efficient as bass trap.

I’m not using bass traps as really dont have the space for them. It will be absorbtion and diffusion only.