Anyone using Roon with MacOS Catalina developer beta?

I moved my Core from my MBP (that I wanted to run Catalina on) to a headless Mac Mini running High Sierra. I configured Core on my MBP to act as a “remote” and have been running the last several versions of developer Catalina with no issues. It’s not a single machine running Catalina and Roon scenario, but it works to achieve the same purposes.

I’ll have a try on a old computer with Catalina beta 7 first…

Just did that. Roon is not working -> no access to external disk (where my library is)…

Tested on developer beta 8 (build 19A558d):
The ‘sudo’ workaround I described earlier is still needed. Otherwise Roon fails to connect to remote Core and cannot access other local drives.

I’ll try the ‘sudo’ workaround tomorrow…

You must run SUDO every time you open ROON?

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Version 10.15 Beta (19A573a)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

The Roon Core is on a Mac Mini running the latest Roon Server software on the latest MacOS Catalina Beta.

It is hardwired to a Cisco Switch. The Switch receives its Internet service via a Amplifi HD Router which is connected to a Arris Modem. The Amplifi HD is part of a Mesh Network.

The issue is on equipment that is ALL hardwired.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Not Applicable due to connectivity issue

Description Of Issue

When starting the Roon Software on my iMac it reports that "Mac OS C 10.15.0/192.168.184.152. Version 1.6 (Build 416) stable * Connection Failed

This is a change from a past beta where it would see the Core but the Software could not play Music from it if that makes sense. I have tried removing, re-adding both the Roon Software and Roon Server to Accessibility with no effect. Permissions in Little Snitch are as liberal as I can make them, I only mention this since permissions in Little Snitch has not been an issue in the past short of a misconfigured rule.

If a fix is in the works then fine since Catalina makes some major changes under the hood.

Thank you

Today I updated to the official release of MacOS Catalina and I am now confronted with the same problem. My music folder is located on a external USB drive and I get this message:

MacOS Catalina
version 10.15

"Error Loading Folder

Unauthorized"

I’ll try to solve it in the terminal for now

@support Will there be a Roon MacOS update tomorrow? I guess / hope / expect…

@support

I am having the same issue as others who can’t access local libraries on OSX Catalina that are located on an external usb drive. Path to music files hasn’t changed, but Roon tells me “Error Loading File—Unauthorized.

Pretty frustrating since this OS has been in beta for quite a while and this issue was reported by multiple users during the beta period.

1 Like

Same here. After upgrading to final version of Mac OS Catalina (Roon Core mac), USB drive with music is not accessible (Unauthorized)

Is current Roon release compatible with macOS Catalina?

At this stage we know that Roon client needs to run as super user to work on Catalina. No idea about a Roon server but likely the same.

I’m about to find out. I’m downloading it as I write this.

1 Like

I have just updated and Roon client is working fine.

We’re working on it guys – stand by.

1 Like

cid:49FBB20B-7244-48D5-A8D1-BE0365CC0E00

Hate to say this but we are seeing this time and time again…Why isn’t someone internally responsible for testing near release OS’s on at least GM versions.

4 Likes

I have also this problem with external HDD since updating to Catalina

The last time I mentioned this I was told by by a Roon big wig, I think it was Danny, that there is no point is testing releases prior to GM because things often change near the actual release. To me, that is like saying there is no point in treating a disease since we will eventually die anyway.

It’s not like there are 57 operating systems they need to keep an eye on. If I were in charge of “compatibility” at Roon, I would be testing Roon on any new macOS release from the first developer release onward just to make sure I was on top of things. But hey, that’s just me…

3 Likes