Anyone using Roon with MacOS Catalina developer beta?

Is anyone using Roon with a Catalina developer beta? Any issues? Thanks.

Yes, no issues so far. I’ve tried it on a laptop and iPad and Roon seems fine on both. But there are rough edges to the betas so I’d be wary of installing it unless you have other devices to rely on.

With Catalina i no longer have access to folders that may be stored on external drives… in the storage settings it says that the folders are empty and if i go to edit them, it shows unauthorized access to those folders on external drives. I tried adding Roon with Full Disk access to security/privacy settings and it won’t work. so i can only access music that is stored on my primary disk … not sure how to add folder access at this point.

2 Likes

Same here. My fault for updating. Seems Catalina now requires apps to ask permission to access external drives (I’ve gotten dialogue boxes asking for permission for Google Drive, Drop Box, etc.). I tried to find a way to grant authorization to Roon through system preferences, fixing permissions, security/privacy, but no luck.

Yup. I think it is specially called "removable drive’ access. well, at least i can listen to 1/2 my music :frowning:

Can you import itunes music and playlists ?

Now that Mac os 10.15 public beta is released

How do I import albums and playlists from Apple music?

My guess is Music app related functionality will not be (officially) available from Roon before the official (“golden master”) Catalina release.

Restarted my iMac this morning and one of my three external drives with music on them is now available to Roon. I haven’t changed anything and there have been no new system updates, so I’m not sure why, but it’s a good sign.

Same here. Waiting for the second beta t see if it fixes, but I guess we will have to wait…

Room will have to fix their app to request folder and removable drive permissions I think , the Next beta version f Catalina will not fix an app issue I believe , hope im wrong , I downgraded to Mojave and won’t install till it is closer to release

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

HUAWEI-B593-3F66, 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac,

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

USB 3.0 Bus,Host Controller Driver:AppleUSBXHCISPT USB Storage, SABRENT

Description Of Issue

In Roon Settings - Storage - Add Folder - Roon does not recognize USB drive - LaCie 6TB or LaCie 128 (Samsung), but I it see on “Choose Music Storage Folder” menu with the following statement - Error Loading Folder - Unauthorized.
Previously with Mojave OS was normal.

Thanks.

Hi @Arvalds_Freibergs, while the feedback is surely useful for Roonlabs keep in mind that beta versions are not officially supported - for Catalina there’s a discussion here:

I’ve merged the topics.

Same issue here.

While I understand that Catalina isn’t officially supported yet, hopefully Roon can add this disk access permission request soon, in order to allow beta testing of Roon on Macs with music held on external drives (ie. for lots of users).

Roon Version 1.6 (Build 416) on Mac mini 2018**

With MacOS Catalina (Beta) I no longer have access to folders that may be stored on external drives

Thanks for help

Hello @Gromit,

We are aware of a few issues with Roon when running the macOS Catalina beta. We are investigating these reports and testing internally.

-John

1 Like

WORKAROUND:

Deleted by Moderators. See here.

Without this, Roon cannot connect to my Core on another machine and cannot export to external drives.
Also, the user interface appears to run much (!) faster than before (on MacOS 10.14) - not sure if this is due to Catalina improvements (Metal) or general advantage of [deleted by Moderators].

2 Likes

Any progress since the most recent (public) beta 7? Does Roon runs OK now?

How can I create a XML file in Mac OS Catalina so I can import playlists to Roon?