Anyway to help diagnose "audio file is loading slowly..."

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon version 1.7 (build 667) on Unraid with Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1270 v3 @ 3.50GHz and 16 Gb of RAM

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet, fixed IP, Netgear Nighthawk X6S

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Ethernet -> Mac Mini -> USB -> Regen -> Sabaj D5 Dac -> Nuforce P8 premap -> NAD

Description Of Issue

This happened before but somehow resolved itself and was working great. Comes an update. Now it skips track every 10-20 seconds. Unbearable. I restarted everything. If I replay the same song over and over, sometimes I can get it to play all the way. Otherwise… it skips with the famous “audio file is loading slowly…”
I can’t figure out where the problem is coming from? Unraid? Roon? Dac? router?
Any way to diagnose the problem?
Thanks

Hi @Laurent_Gapin,

Is this happening with both streaming and local content?

If you play to System Output do you see the same issue?

For me it happens because of a slow DSL line. I do not know the Mac, but you should check somehow what process is taking bandwidth away from Roon. On Windows I can monitor the processes and their network demand via the task manager.

Check or show us your DNS settings and how is your internet speed?

Sometimes using better DNS servers will help like 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8

Changed the DNS and internet speed is correct, problem persists
Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 11.14.50 AM Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 5.43.01 PM

Hi @Laurent_Gapin,

Were you able to confirm if System Output (your Core’s internal speakers) also exhibits the same behavior? If you have not tried this yet, please do so and let us know, thanks!

Sorry but I’m missing something
The core is on a headless server, no audio output
I have output enabled for my DAC connected to the Mac mini and also on another Mac on the same network (which has similar issues in skipping tracks).
It can play a full album without problem and then the next it will be skipping one track after another. Completely random

1 Like

Hi @Laurent_Gapin,

Thanks for running that test and for the clarification!

What happens if you try to temporarily switch your Roon Core over to the Mac, do you still see the same behavior or do the issues go away? In other words, does the issue only occur with Unraid in the mix? To switch Cores:

• Open Roon on the other PC you wish to try as the Core
  • Roon Settings -> General
  • Disconnect
  • On the “Choose your Core” screen, press “Use this PC”
  • If asked to Unauthorize, you can go ahead and do so. You are limited to one active Roon Core at a time but you are free to switch between them as often as you’d like.
  • Verify if the same behavior occurs on the different PC

Ok so I switched the core to one mac mini and streamed to the other one all afternoon.
Ar one point, the songs played slow, which was weird, but never skipped.
So I have to conclude that it’s likely Roon and Unraid, which because you don’t support, I will assume I’m on my own to try to figure it out.

Now I just noticed this in switching back the core! And now Roon doesn’t update the library when I add new albums… What am I to do? Remove and re-install?
Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 5.24.56 PM Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 5.25.02 PM

Hi @Laurent_Gapin,

What kind of albums are you trying to add, are they from Qobuz / TIDAL or local media files (on a HDD or NAS)?

It was local media. I do not use Qobuz or Tidal.
I uninstalled Roon and reinstalled. Re-imported my library (losing all playlist etc… along the way)
I thought it had fixed the problem as it ran relatively without issues.
And then tonight, here we go again…skips song after song. Is there a log anywhere to see what process might be at fault? Clearly Roon is “disturbed” by something. This is essentially unusable and extremely frustrating
Thanks for any help

I noticed that my docker is getting full. I had to increase the size to 100 Gb !!
So my config is perhaps not correct ?

Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 10.02.43 PM

Hi @Laurent_Gapin,

While we have heard that Docker containers generally work with Roon, we cannot advise specific settings for VMs as they are very configurable.

You can access Roon logs by using these instructions.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.